PDA

View Full Version : A lot of static from the HU when listening to FM radio

dangerzone9k
03-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello,

I installed my HU (alpine 9813) along with my audio setup and there is a lot of static when I'm listening to the radio. I have the antenna cable connected and the black wire grounded. I don't know why this is... can someone help?

Thanks

lionfamlee
03-27-2011, 12:58 PM
1- Make sure the antennae wire fits snug into the back of the head unit
2- I would recommend using a different ground for your head unit. Find a something like metal chasis/pole with a screw. Unscrew it sand it down to remove any paint or dirt, run your neg lead to that and screw it back up.
3- Check the antennae wire on the Antennae side to make sure it is not corroded.

re you noticing any other type of interference?

dangerzone9k
03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
When I first installed my HU ~3 years ago I never grounded it. I just had the black wire attached to each other. But recently I upgraded my whole system and this time I grounded it. There is no other interference. The antenna wire looks fine and is connected. CDs work without any problem.

ejschultz
03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
What kind of vehicle? Some Chrysler vehicles have a coupler somewhere inline with the antenna wire. For whatever reason, a lot of these have a spring in them. I'd imagine it helps keep the connection tight even under vibrations. The only issue is, the spring will push the antenna wires out of the coupler over time. If your car has that, I'd recommend finding it, removing the spring, crimping the coupler to make it fit tighter on the antenna wire, tape the **** out of it to help keep it together, and see if that helps. I had to do that in my Jeep when I got it because of the poor radio reception. Everything works perfectly now for me.

bubbagumper6
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Do you have any amplifiers in the trunk? Try disconnecting their remote turn on wires (so they stay off) and see if your reception improves.

dangerzone9k
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
I have two JL slash amps in the trunk. I will do that now. If it improves what do i do with the remote turn on wires? Btw it's a honda.

thevic24
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
If you have class D amps, they can sometimes interfere with FM reception.

I have a Fusion NVAM 250001d that dose this.