PDA

View Full Version : Need help balacing sound between front and rear speakers

jtrippe77
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I just replaced the stock setup in my 2008 civic. I got a JVC KW-XR810 head unit, Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System for the front; Sony XS-GTX1641 GTX Series 6.5" Coaxial Speakers for the rear; and, a 10" sub with 220W amp in the trunk. The sound coming form this setup is awesome. However, the rear coaxial speakers really overpower the front components. I don't have an amp on this setup other than the one on the sub box. I don't have a very good sub or amp so I don't get great bass from it. My question is whether adjusting the fade to the front to balance with the rear will help me? Would I lose too much from the rear or would it balance out? The rear speakers do provide good bass but I don't hear the front as well and they are supposed to be better speakers.

Thanks!

Rich00
03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
The components wont do as well as the co-ax speakers off the headunit power. You need to put an amp on those front components for them to sound anywhere near how they should sound.

jtrippe77
03-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought I might need an amp. I messed with the balance and it all sounds best with the fader FR+1. I thought the rear speakers were sounding much better but when I faded all the way to the rear to test and then all the way to the front to test I realized it was a pretty balanced sound. The fronts just don't sound as crisp. They are better speakers. I will have to invest in an amp I guess. I've got one in my other car that we're about to sell. Is it expensive to have an installer switch it from one vehicle to another?

I've got a 10" sub with 220 watt amp on it but I'm not getting much bass out of it. Is 220W underpowered for a sub that size? I need to get that working. The installer at best buy said he was surprised at the lack of bass. I've got the settings on the head unit maxed out. Turning the phase to 180 degrees helps a little. The bass out of the front and, in particular, rear speakers is very good.

Kangaroux
03-26-2011, 12:08 PM
make sure all the bass EQ's are set to 0/off. 220w for a 10" can vary so much. there are 10's that handle 150w and some that handle 1500w. what kind of 10" is it?

jtrippe77
03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
It is a lightning audio sub with a 220w pioneer amp. I'm not sure if this cable was loose the whole time but I reattached a power cable and it seems to sound better. I tried fading 2 to the front and set the bass level to 0. That sounded pretty good. I also like the way it sounds when the bass is set to 4. However, with you suggestion of 0, would that allow me to turn the whole thing up and get more out of the sub and more treb. and mid out of the front? Also, I have the LPF set to zero on the unit and the amp. It gets better and louder bass that way.