PDA

View Full Version : Mobile App

CarAudio.com Admin
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
We were discussing earlier maybe installing Tapatalk, or some sort of mobile app, for easier site viewing and had pretty good feedback on it. As you might not realize however, Tapatalk is a paid app, that costs $2.99 to download for each user.

Then, a couple weeks ago, the forum developers had said they were going to be introducing a iphone/android app for release this week, to be comparable with Tapatalk. I was going to try that out, since it would most likely be a free app for everyone. But this weekend they halted it, for an unknown reason, possibly the fact that they can't distribute it for free, not sure.

Anyway, I wanted to get more feedback on how often you use the site, or the internet for the matter (since we don't have a mobile app), using your phone. Feedback is also appreciated.

CRXBMPN
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
my phone wont even log in to this website properly any more... probably its just outdated s/w - i can literally seen in plain text my user id AND password when I put it in at the upper right corner. It will fail there, then bring me to the "1 out of 5" attempts used, where I will then be able to put my id and p/w in correctly and work... plus this page loads god awfully slow on my phone (us cellular). Alot of us are obsessed with this site LoL

CHEMMINS
03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I cruze it a bit on the phone.....I have tapatalk....and personally I hate it. I would rather come right to the site, and see whats happening as I see it on the comp.

CarAudio.com Admin
03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
my phone wont even log in to this website properly any more... probably its just outdated s/w - i can literally seen in plain text my user id AND password when I put it in at the upper right corner. It will fail there, then bring me to the "1 out of 5" attempts used, where I will then be able to put my id and p/w in correctly and work... plus this page loads god awfully slow on my phone (us cellular). Alot of us are obsessed with this site LoL

That is probably the case. What phone is it, if you don't mind?

Tone415
03-15-2011, 05:04 PM

I agree.. even a full connection on wifi is a little slower than other websites..

CarAudio.com Admin
I cruze it a bit on the phone.....I have tapatalk....and personally I hate it. I would rather come right to the site, and see whats happening as I see it on the comp.

Interesting point. Those that do have the latest webkit related phones, like android and iphone can view the site just fine. Just have to get used to the smaller screen. I guess it comes down to preference.

infamous_e46
my blackberry ***** trying to load ca.com

CRXBMPN
That is probably the case. What phone is it, if you don't mind?

Samsung Delve - I was able to log in successfully a month or three ago using the old normal way, now I pass it up due to latency and that login problem.

whitedragon551
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I have Tapatalk. Its hard modding the forum from my phone with the full site rather than a mobile version.

CarAudio.com Admin
03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree.. even a full connection on wifi is a little slower than other websites..

That is where a mobile app would help out, by reducing the page size and items loaded up.

plugitin
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I have tapatalk and im not the biggest fan of it. Would be neat to have the option but I do just fine cruising around the full site on my dx

pro-rabbit
03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I have no issues with this site on my phone what so ever. I prefer viewing this site as I would from any pc. tapatalk is nice in some cases, but not my preference.

I have an EVO and it loads just fine(not slow in anyway even when I'm not in 3G or 4G).

Imtjnotu
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
All my browsing and postings are done off my galaxy s (android phone)...everytime I'm on here I'm on my phone

CHEMMINS
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
A lot of it depends on your network connection. Wifi is sometimes slow....but who knows who I am using. When I am on 3g service it is just as fast as my home connection on my pc. I have no issues enlarging the site on my iphone either to see the smaller stuff up close. At least I can see pics of gear.

Heeltoeclutch
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I use ca.com on my phone all the time... and it is so d@mn frustrating when you accidentally click something next to what your intended target was cuz everythings pretty small (and zooming in gets tiresome), so you have to go back which takes a while then go to your intended destination which takes more time... I personally like Tapatalk very much; everything loads much faster than using the mobile site (for caco and some subaru forums at least) and the interface is very finger-friendly.

plugitin
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I use ca.com on my phone all the time... and it is so d@mn frustrating when you accidentally click something next to what your intended target was cuz everythings pretty small, so you have to go back which takes a while then go to your intended destination which takes more time... I personally like Tapatalk very much; everything loads much faster than using the mobile site (for caco and some subaru forums at least) and the interface is very finger-friendly.

zoom in before you click it...:fyi:

Heeltoeclutch
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
You beat my edit - I meant to say something and forgot to about that- it just gets tiresome zooming in and out every time you want to click something. Tapatalk is much more efficient.

plugitin
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I meant to say something and forgot to about that- it just gets tiresome zooming in and out every time.

i do agree...but eh...its not too bad. Could be worse

CarAudio.com Admin
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I think its safe to say that the majority of users here use the internet on their phone. Now to decide which direction to go as far as tapatalk, or the forum dev app. The stripped down one we tried a few weeks ago was horrible, so down to those 2. If you don't want to use either one, that will always be an option also, to view the site as normal.

whitedragon551
03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I say lets give the forum dev app a go. Atleast its free and you arent out any money if it doesnt work out. Tapatalk is still fairly new so getting in early there could be good publicity for the site as well and may be worth the "advertising" dollars while keeping the population here happy at the same time.

Heeltoeclutch
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Do you have any info we can see about the forum dev. app?

Is that something integrated to the site or something we'd get at the Market?

And thanks for listening to the people Goob :D

CarAudio.com Admin
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Here is a link to the blog with more info on what VB has to offer and a few vids: vBulletin Mobile Suite - Blogs - vBulletin Community Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php/2476-vBulletin-Mobile-Suite).

A plus to it, is it would be free for members to download, but not sure on the functionality of it compared with tapatalk yet...

sobe3yourself.
03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
ca.com is always a lot slower than other websites on my phone. i have tapatalk an it works just fine with caco (which is also slow)

CarAudio.com Admin
03-16-2011, 05:13 PM
ca.com is always a lot slower than other websites on my phone. i have tapatalk an it works just fine with caco (which is also slow)

Its the #trolls and warlocks making it slow. We're #winning.

MikeofTulsa
03-16-2011, 05:54 PM
i heard caco is up for sale so those members will probably start filtering back over here

-01limited-
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
i heard caco is up for sale so those members will probably start filtering back over here

here we go again. I hope you're ready for all the caco threads.

-01limited-
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
dbl:crap:

CarAudio.com Admin
03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
here we go again. I hope you're ready for all the caco threads.

Thank goodness for our tiger blood.

Kangaroux
03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank goodness for our tiger blood.

don't stop. lol

whitedragon551
03-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Any more updates?

CarAudio.com Admin
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Any more updates?

Basically I keep getting the run around like other forum admins, on when it will be ready. It was scheduled to be out already, some issue that they won't divulge is going on. I'll keep you posted...

pro-rabbit
03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Basically I keep getting the run around like other forum admins, on when it will be ready. It was scheduled to be out already, some issue that they won't divulge is going on. I'll keep you posted...

Sounds like Sony's test team haha. I'm sure once they are happy with it and its functional it will be released. I have an app for another forum and it is not to bad, but I still use the browser more. The app does come in hand from time to time though with PMs or selling/buying items customer support and such.

09civic
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I find browsing the site off my phone very easy and fast. Iphone 4 here

CarAudio.com Admin
03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Sounds like Sony's test team haha. I'm sure once they are happy with it and its functional it will be released. I have an app for another forum and it is not to bad, but I still use the browser more. The app does come in hand from time to time though with PMs or selling/buying items customer support and such.

VB really has gotten to be a nightmare to deal with. Delay after delay after broken promise. Ask any forum admin. When their old devs broke off, they went straight downhill. Those old devs that started up VB are building a new forum software, xenforo.com. It seems to hold alot of promises, just not enough mods for it yet. VB is also sueing them for "allegedly" stealing their code right now also.

sacsking916
03-22-2011, 01:58 PM
i use it off my droid x every night. during the day i use the work pc for the site. its not so slow on my phone, just hate clicking the wrong thing. i dont like tap a talk very much, but havent used it much lately either. i would definitely download the app for this site in a heartbeat. and if it was pretty good then i'll even donate to it.

whitedragon551
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I think Tapatalk would be the better route after this VB fiasco. Its still fresh and could be a good thing to get us on the map with them.

09civic
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Ive never used tapatalk and i dont wanna risk the three dollars if it ***** lol

whitedragon551
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Ive never used tapatalk and i dont wanna risk the three dollars if it ***** lol

Its a really simple piece of software. Its pretty intuitive and its not very heavy.

09civic
03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Its a really simple piece of software. Its pretty intuitive and its not very heavy.

oh good cuz all i was worrying about was how heavy it was..

CL1CKCLACK
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Tapatalk=win. i have stopped browsing this site from my phone all together now because it is such a pain

LazyRider
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I have a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and I hate coming to this site on there. BodyBuilding.com's mobile site is perfect. You should try something like that.

Heeltoeclutch
03-28-2011, 09:37 AM

^^ Thissage.

Also, NASIOC.com (biggest subaru forum) has their own android app that is similar to Tapatalk and was free on the market - extremely fast, easy to do everything, excellent interface. Don't know anything about what program or code or whatever it's running though... Might wanna look into it if not Tapatalk? NASIOC has moneyz though and can afford to make their own app :laugh: Tapatalk or a similar mobile solution would be awesome. As of last week my work browser has started giving me a 503 error and won't let me into like 75% of the threads at all :p:

whitedragon551
03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Tapatalk is free for forum use. It's just not free for the end user.

Heeltoeclutch
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Tapatalk is free for forum use. It's just not free for the end user.

Indeed - but my $3 has already been well-spent. So it makes it that much for appetizing for ca.com? :laugh: exciting-ness.

akheathen
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
^^^ clear cookies (i believe they get outdated often) and restart browser, maybe comp, and it should start working....... i think the simplest thing may be to offer a "basic" version, at least. so, that there is not soo many little buttons and add-ons trying to run. i clicked daily, but it's usually just a couple times a week, but for long periods, like out at my dad's house, or waiting somewhere, but the site does use a large amount of data in full form, and for every desired page you get to, there is 1, or more accidental pages, plus the loading "back" i can't tell you how many times i have clicked on stuff either scrolling, zooming, or each time the page jumps around because of that paragraph at the top, etc. i haven't used taptalk yet, but most of the forums i go to have it anyways, so there is the conformity factor, if it works on windows phone7, something would be nice.......... even if i have to pay a few bucks, i think it would really save on data usage, and missed deals.
.... oh, and it's funny you mention caco threads, i was tempted to make one...... i decided to check things out........ very frustrating......