PDA

View Full Version : New to the board

GM4WALLS
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey, I've been into car audio since I was old enough to drive. I installed professionally for a while, but I found out that there just isn't enough money in it for me. I still enjoy doing it as a hobby, and for friends. I used to compete in dB Drag a decade ago, as well as some small time local SQ competitions. I come to these boards to give advice on things I know about, and to learn about thing I don't.

daboyfrumdabx
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Welcome. I believe your history as you actually mentioned some stuff to give you merit. However, just to let you know, EVERYONE who ever joins this forum is a pro. They've all been doing it for years and can build a great setup. Sometimes they just like to double check a few things though. Like how to wire their two Sony Xplod SVC4 subs to a 1 ohm load. You get what I'm saying.

1rockford1
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
hey

Mookie
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Yoooooooooo

AJM511
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Welcome. I believe your history as you actually mentioned some stuff to give you merit. However, just to let you know, EVERYONE who ever joins this forum is a pro. They've all been doing it for years and can build a great setup. Sometimes they just like to double check a few things though. Like how to wire their two Sony Xplod SVC4 subs to a 1 ohm load. You get what I'm saying.

Why 1 ohm? Why not 10 ohms? More ohms = More power. Any car audio pro knows this.

Also welcome GM!

daboyfrumdabx
03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Why 1 ohm? Why not 10 ohms? More ohms = More power. Any car audio pro knows this.

Also welcome GM!

Had a guy come into BB a few day ago talking about how his last system was crazy loud and he's had reconstructive surgery on his ear drums multiple times due to the ruptures. He sold it due to being hard for money, but now wants to get back in the game. I said "that's cool, but we don't have anything that will do that power here, the biggest wire we sell is 4awg". He then says that I'm right, he needs bigger than that. He was running like 25 gauge in his old setup.

AJM511
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Had a guy come into BB a few day ago talking about how his last system was crazy loud and he's had reconstructive surgery on his ear drums multiple times due to the ruptures. He sold it due to being hard for money, but now wants to get back in the game. I said "that's cool, but we don't have anything that will do that power here, the biggest wire we sell is 4awg". He then says that I'm right, he needs bigger than that. He was running like 25 gauge in his old setup.

It must have been hard telling him how wrong he was. lol

daboyfrumdabx
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
It must have been hard telling him how wrong he was. lol

I tired to keep it simple. I grabbed a roll of 18 gauge speaker wire and said, "WOW!, bigger than this? Where'd you find wire that big? We have this 4 gauge here that looks pretty big but since Kicker clearly falsely labeled the packaging, I wouldn't trust it. Probably all insulation and no real wire in there". He said, "yup, probably". At which point I explained that I was joking and told him he was wrong. He ended up buying a $70 Pioneer HU, Kicker CVR, said he had a 1000watt sony xplod amp, and bought a 10 gauge wiring kit. Skipped out on the appropriate wiring harness and dash kit. Said he hard wires units all the time without issue and he'd use black cardboard to fill the gap around the unit. I let him go..

Heeltoeclutch
03-14-2011, 03:08 PM
OMGOODNESS cardboard...

VERY VERY large fail... if I were a mean person I would say that I hope his power wire melts because of his arrogant stupidity and catches his car on fire and he dies in the flames, resconstructed ears and all... but I'm not a mean person. :)

Welcome OP :)

AJM511
03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I tired to keep it simple. I grabbed a roll of 18 gauge speaker wire and said, "WOW!, bigger than this? Where'd you find wire that big? We have this 4 gauge here that looks pretty big but since Kicker clearly falsely labeled the packaging, I wouldn't trust it. Probably all insulation and no real wire in there". He said, "yup, probably". At which point I explained that I was joking and told him he was wrong. He ended up buying a $70 Pioneer HU, Kicker CVR, said he had a 1000watt sony xplod amp, and bought a 10 gauge wiring kit. Skipped out on the appropriate wiring harness and dash kit. Said he hard wires units all the time without issue and he'd use black cardboard to fill the gap around the unit. I let him go..

Lol what an informed individual.

GM4WALLS
03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds like my kind of place. I had been doing some side work here and there for the last month and a half or so... sadly due to the high number of douchebags and random idiots, I am no longer doing the installer for hire thing, but when I start my new job, I may pick up a part time installer gig. We used to deal with Memphis right after it was changed from Fultron/Aria, Cerwin Vega, Autotek (pre Maxxsonic), and Bostwick. We installed a lot of other brands, but that is what we carried... I also did a super breif stint at a shop that sold Concept and Cadence, but we are talking two weeks max. The current plans for my Mustang is as follows...

Alpine CDA-117 Head unit (already purchased)
Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick NG compset
Sundown SA-8D4 (4 total, wired to 1 ohm pairs)
Sundown SAZ-1000D (2 each powering a pair of the 8" subs)
Sundown SAX-125.2 (to power the components)

Mechman 280 amp alternator (max fuse rating for amps is 210 amps, so I should have plenty of headroom)
Red Top Optima battery (a single one under hood, due to the alts. output, and the fact that it will only be used while the car is running, I should be fine with 1)
The subs will be in a 2.4 cu.ft. slot ported enclosure tuned to 34 hz.

That's the general idea, but I am going to Daytona this weekend for Spring Break Nationals, if I find something I like more, then the plan may change!