PDA

View Full Version : single dins with built in 3 or 4 way crossovers

perfecxionX
03-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Does alpine no long make headunits with built in crossover controls? How many manufacturers actually still do? Are most moving these sorts of features in the direction of external processing?

Brian_smith06
03-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Pioneer p99 and p01 have it :P but that's also an expensive deck

BassAddictJ
03-12-2011, 11:53 PM
clarion makes affordable decent quality decks with 3 way active (middle bandpass'd) with lots of other bells and whistles...looking into the dxz785usb (usb controls FTW!). the clarion dxz775usb I used (similar deck, just less parametric eq bands) was WAY faster searching mp3's than my newer alpine cda-117 was.

eclipse makes a few higher end expsensive decks that do 3 way. i used a cd5100 and didnt like the info display of the mp3's and foudn it harder to navigate my folders. the higher ups liek the 7100 and 7200mkii miiiiight be better about info displays for tracks. somethign worth lookin into. you can sometimes find older eclipse decks that do 3 way active, but you'll need an expensive *** ipod adapter if you want mass storage. if you mainly use cd's then no worried there.

.....when i used on deck 3 way i would leave the low/midbass outputs at 400hz and down, then use that signal for midbass AND subwoofer. the midbass amp will use it's onboard HPF for the 80hz ish cuttoff. The sub amp uses it's onbaord LPF and SSF for it's needs.

i personally use external 3 way processing with the sub outputs off the deck. This way I can use (when my deck has it) time alignment on the sub channels and also have all the other subwoofer preout specific features for that deck. The front outputs go to the preamps which send out the 3 way active signals to the front stage amps.

You can always use a EQ and 3 way processor combo with the sub output coming off the EQ. The only potential downside to this is if you have an EQ that DOES NOT have a seperate subwoofer output. What i'm getting at is if you boost the subwoofer frequencies (50hz or whatever) it may bleed through onto the midbasses and noticably change the freq response in the midbass. If your EQ lets you boost the sub freqs seperately from the mids/highs then you'll be fine. I had this issue recently until i switched the subwoofer rca's over the deck outputs.

RAM_Designs
03-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Eclipse 8443 or 8053 can be had under $200 on the forums.

RAM_Designs
03-13-2011, 12:07 AM
I run the 8053 myself and love it.

99chevy7.4L
03-13-2011, 10:32 PM
a Clarion HX-d10 can do what you want. That is a high end deck that is strictly a preamp as well. No internal amplification so it can do pretty much anything.