PDA

View Full Version : Equalizer vs crossover

kconrad
03-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Equalizers
Its been awhile since I have been on here. I need some help deciding on an equalizer or other piece of equipment to give me more adjustability on my system. I had a Pioneer DEQ-7600 Digital Signal Precessor that I loved but it finally quit on me after 12 years. I got the Pioneer DEQ-9200 and I am not happy with the controls. Its very limited especially in the low end. Its technically only a 3-band parametric EQ. Should I be looking for an EQ or crossover to add to my system?

I am running an old Pioneer head unit going to an old school Soundstream Rubicon 1002 and a Reference 414s. I have (2) two soundstream Exact 10" subwoofers and eclipse point source in the doors.

Kangaroux
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
You would want an equalizer. All you need a crossover for is to apply a lowpass and highpass filter to your subs and comps, which the amplifier takes care of.

kconrad
03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Is it worth it to put an equalizer in the mix? I don't see too many systems with them. It used to be big back in the day but doesn't seem to be now. Is that because new head units have it incorporated?

Kangaroux
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Almost all decent headunits these days have a 3 band EQ. Those cost about $100 - $120. If you are willing to spend more around $150-$200 you can find really nice ones with 7+ bands.

You could just get an EQ, but from the looks of that HU, seems like you need an upgrade lol

CRXBMPN
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
if you pick up a relatively new deck you may get the options you are looking for with the eq. I had a DEQ 6500 passive x-over and got rid of it, and almost picked the 7600 up "back in the day"... look around for a better deck, it will probably make you happy - plus you get most likely an ipod or usb integration where-as your pioneer deck you need the ib-100II i think it is for your IP BUS on the Pio...

kconrad
03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, my head unit is also about 10 years old. Its been great though but it only has two RCA outputs so that is why I had the Digital processor to get me to three RCA outs.

MANTI5
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Many good head units have 6-7 band eq built in and that's usually why you don't see separates as much. Is it worth it to you? If you want more control go for it, or look at some newer head units.

kconrad
03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok. Its been awhile since I have bought or even looked at what is out there. Do you guys recommend any head units for around $200 or under. I've always had Pioneer and considered eclipse at one time.

dragonrage
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Is it worth it to put an equalizer in the mix?

If you are willing to invest the time and have the measuring equipment to play around with it, yes, it usually is worth it. If you've got a laptop and you're relatively comfortable with PCs, then I would suggest you look into MiniDSP (http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/details/63/15/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-revb). It can do many things, but for EQ, you will need to buy either the 6-band parametric EQ plugin or the 30-band graphic EQ plugin. Parametric is more powerful but graphic is easier to use and you get more bands with graphic. You just have to hope they're where you want them because you can't move them to the frequencies you want, unlike PEQ.

If you like it, you'd want to order the MiniDSP in a box and whichever of the two EQ plugins.

If you do NOT want to spend the time: You could consider an automatic calibration box, like something with Audyssey MultEQ. Not all MultEQ stuff will handle bass, though. I believe you need MultEQ XT or MultEQ Pro for that.

If you don't want to spend the money: Work with what your H/U has and if you want more in the future then you can upgrade to the MiniDSP, or the Audison Bit.One, or whatever.