PDA

View Full Version : Ported = different bass reproduction?

ssj2xxgotenxx
02-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Im comparing my ported 6 cuft 2 @35hz 2 12" L7s to a friends Sealed 2 cuft kicker Comps and at first i thought MY **** wasnt getting loud enough but really it's just producing a different type of bass if you will.... The type of bass I get is shake you F*cking car and vibrate everything in the area, while a friends comps in a sealed box has chest pounding hard to breath bass. Is there a reason why my bass isn't pounding my chest?

Omarvelous
02-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Your not getting what you want because....your ported!

The bass you get from a sealed enclosure is tighter, which is why it's better for SQ. Ported is more for SPL, and allows it to get louder being that the air is moving.

So if you want what your friend has....going to have to go with sealed.

burtonsnow83
05-06-2004, 12:14 AM
if you want to get more punchy bass you can tune your box lower, but also keep in mind tht L7s are not an sq sub in the least, they are made to shake your car to death.

Bavarian3
05-06-2004, 03:55 AM
Punchy bass is higher tune ;)

yup i was just gona say that. and plus L7's even sealed are not anywhere near puncy or teeth rattling subs. they get loud to the ear, they dont put out bass u can feel.

A friend just got a new setup with 3 12" L7's off a shitload of watts in his explorer and its loud as hell to the ear, but doesnt give anywhere near the feel or tightness are chest pounding bass that my d2 does.

paikiah
05-06-2004, 05:23 AM
L7's have won SQ awards.

It's not he sub, it's the installer.

lombardo
05-06-2004, 10:56 AM
L7's have won SQ awards.

True, howevery by in large they sound like d1ck.

helotaxi
05-06-2004, 11:53 AM
L7's have won SQ awards.

And the rest of the system was probably so phenominal that the subs (a very small part of the frequency range) didn't matter that much anyway.

ssj2xxgotenxx
05-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Maybe i'll just buy a D2 for the tighter bass and when im in the mood to rattle my car to death ill put the big ported box in the back seat muahahha =P

Bavarian3
05-06-2004, 06:41 PM
L7's have won SQ awards.

have u ever heard an L7 before? like i said, they just dont put out tight bass. ive heard all sorts of L7 setups. theyr loud to the ear but dont put out tight hard to breathe bass.
And who cares if theyve won SQ awards, a sub doesnt win a SQ award, a system does, and the sub plays such a small factor in a SQ system that it barely matters.

paikiah
05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
have u ever heard an L7 before? like i said, they just dont put out tight bass. ive heard all sorts of L7 setups. theyr loud to the ear but dont put out tight hard to breathe bass.
And who cares if theyve won SQ awards, a sub doesnt win a SQ award, a system does, and the sub plays such a small factor in a SQ system that it barely matters.
lol~

Yes, i have heard many an L7 before. Try fititng it in a sealed box, EQ it properly, integrate it with the system, and yes, most subs will sound nice.

Or do you only listen to test tones all day? ;)

78nova
05-07-2004, 12:09 AM
when i had my L7's they produced teeth rattling chest pounding bass, and they were ported to 35hz, and they were loud to the ear

Bavarian3
05-07-2004, 12:24 AM
lol~

Yes, i have heard many an L7 before. Try fititng it in a sealed box, EQ it properly, integrate it with the system, and yes, most subs will sound nice.

Or do you only listen to test tones all day? ;)
ah ok kool, wusnt sure what kinda stuff u guys carry over in korea.