PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass? a little help

irishbass
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
i am building a bandpass box for my jetta and i was wanting to include a front plexiglass window to show off the subs but i would like to know how thick should it be and what to seal it with screwes or silicone? and where to buy a small sheet of it about 15" by 20" any help would be greatly appreciated.

brandonloserkid
02-06-2004, 03:52 PM
lemme ask ya... whyd you pick bandpass?

just wondering...

brandonloserkid
02-06-2004, 03:52 PM
if you want plexi.... 3/4" should be enough, and you can get it at home depot or even lowes

irishbass
02-06-2004, 04:17 PM
my friend had the same subs and amp hooked up in a banpass box in his accord and it slammed and looked tight so i was wanting to recreate it

LoudCrownVic
02-06-2004, 04:18 PM
It mostly depends on how bada$$ your system is. 1/2 inch should work for most low to midrange pound, but 3/4 is essential for larger, high spl systems. To make the seal between the 'glass and the box, just use your imagination. Screws and silicone with a "frame" that covers up the screws and silicone, or nice long nickel plated screws or nuts n'bolts sandwiching it all together. Whatever you do, it is a good idea to have a bead of silicone despite how ugly it is, as the plexiglass can if improperly fastened rattle. You can also paint or laser etch the 'glass before you put it on. I personally hate bandpass boxes because if you have to tear them apart it *****.

brandonloserkid
02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
i would recommend a ported box..

irishbass
02-06-2004, 04:29 PM
its a 1000 watt kicker amp w/ 2 15 kicker solo's so probably the thicker plexi

LoneRanger
02-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Have any of you guys that replied actually worked with plexiglass? It's not like the crap is gonna break or bend on ya!

1/2" is fine for ANY application, and to the best of my knowledge you can't get it at home depot or lowes. your best bet will be to check a place that replaces automotive glass. PLEXI IS NOT CHEAP! I have to pay nearly $10/sq foot for the 1/4" stuff.

LoudCrownVic
02-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Owch! You'll probably be best off to go ported then. That ***** will hit well enough without the bandpass, and it'll be easier, cheaper, and alot more detailed. Bandpass works the best in enourmous open places, like Suburbans, loose girlfriends, Explorers and open trunk back alley slamfests. I'm not saying that thats bad, hey, do what you wanna do! Plus, to really show off the woofers you would need at least 15" by 30" sheet, not 15x20. Brandon is probably right with his ported estimate...

irishbass
02-06-2004, 05:34 PM
thanx for the info

brandonloserkid
02-06-2004, 05:47 PM
ya ranger i work with plexi all the time, i just suggest 3/4 plexi cause hes most likely using 3/4 mdf, makes for a more... better looking box, when you line it up

brandonloserkid
02-06-2004, 05:50 PM
i get plexi at my local home depot, thats why i figured lowes would have it...

nweibley
02-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Have any of you guys that replied actually worked with plexiglass? It's not like the crap is gonna break or bend on ya!

1/2" is fine for ANY application, and to the best of my knowledge you can't get it at home depot or lowes. your best bet will be to check a place that replaces automotive glass. PLEXI IS NOT CHEAP! I have to pay nearly $10/sq foot for the 1/4" stuff.

Very true, I got some 3/4" plexi and its G-**** strong... but plexi is expensive and hard to find... but I got a sweeeet deal on some 3/4" thick for $10 a sqft... so I took it. Other places wanted $50+ for a 2sqft 1/2" thick sheet though.

I don't think it will ever hurt to go too big, and 1/2" should be ample for most window type applications...

I found my plexi by going to "Glass" in the yellow pages and calling them down the list. One place (Ashe Glass Co in Tampa) was selling plexi dirt cheap since they are moving (Tampa people, if you want plexi call them, they are moving SOON) so it pays to call around.

Good luck with it though, plexi looks awsome.

irishbass
02-07-2004, 06:17 AM
thanks for that my dads in bradenton i'll get him to get me some of that cheap plexi

PopcornPlaya
02-07-2004, 07:10 PM
both my home depot and lowes both carry plexi and acrylic. up to 3/4 inch thick. and its a whole lot cheaper than the tag you are paying for it. i can get a full sheet for around $100 (4'X8') there. just depends on where you are i guess.

forbidden
02-07-2004, 08:22 PM
The problems with plexi that no one has posted yet are definitely there. While some of you believe that it is strong, it is not as strong as wood or mdf in larger pieces. The larger the piece, the easier it can break. Plexiglass can bend much easier than wood can, thus if your box is flexing because the surface area is too large, you are losing energy that could be turned into sound. While it may be small it is still wasted energy. Plexiglass will flex much easier than mdf does, especially in a larger surface area when compared to the same thickness of mdf. This is why most people use a thicker plexi material.
The other side of an issue to plexiglass is it's reflectivity. Plexiglass and glass in general is a highly reflective surface as compared to mdf, wood or a painted surface. Reflected waves on the inside of a sub box eat up output, especially in a box that has parallel surfaces. When using plexiglass it is also recommended to use a material that will help to scatter the reflected wave on the inside of the sub box.

Omarvelous
02-07-2004, 10:20 PM
I was planning on mounting a sub onto plexi

Would i still need to "scatter the reflected wave" and if so what do you recommend to use to do this?

It will be a fiberglass box, with mdf/plexi top in the tire well.

Shaped like a D on it's side.