PDA

View Full Version : Wrx speaker dilemma

scuba scooby
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Newbie here, I have a 2002 wrx with a pioneer headunit, 300 watt RF amp, and a sealed alpine type-s 12 in the trunk. I am taking out the sub/amp and converting it to a home sub system so I can **** off my roomates and neighboors ;)

Instead I want some decent speakers that will but out acceptable bass when amplified. I already have a HU and a crappy 2-channel 200watt amp hooked up. The problem is that I have pretty limited funds, being in college, and I also have pretty limited mounting depth as well. Maybe 2 inches max WITH a spacer. And I dont want to spend more than $30-$40 shipped.

What is a good speaker, preferably 5-1/4 that will work for me? Sorry for being a noob, I only really know about subwoofers.

wrx707
02-19-2011, 12:15 AM
You can fit most 6.5in speakers in the front doors by making a 1/2in spacer.From what ive read everything under 2.5in mounting depth will fit without hitting the window if a spacer is used. I installed polk db651($62.00 shipped on amazon) coaxials in my wrx and have been very happy with them. I have an alpine type x 10in subwoofer that handles the bass but the speakers can handle way more than stock and have much better range. Hope that helps

scuba scooby
02-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks bud, thats the kind of answer I was looking for. Did you buy a spacer or did you make one yourself? Also what did you do to insulate the wrx doors?

wrx707
02-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I made the spacers myself, the best thing to use is mdf but i didnt have any so i used ply wood. I just traced the stock speaker bracket and then cut out the correct size hole for the speaker.Currently i dont have any door insulation but raamaudio has sound deadening material which appears to be the same as dynamat for a lower price and i plan to install that as soon as the weather gets nicer.