View Full Version : 3 way home speakers have crossover in them?

02-16-2011, 01:58 AM
do the typical 3 way home speakers come with a crossover?
or at least a simple combination of capacitors and coils.

bookshelf 3 way speakers for example.

i know some of the floor standing ones are controlled by cabinet design like bandpass boxes.

im askng because i want to get a pair of speakers to use the drivers in my car.

im not able to find a shallow enough midrange to fit where i need it to(a BMW mid is the biggest midrange i can fit in my doorpanel without fiberglassing) and im not planning to do any crazy custom bubble or other enclosures on my dash or a pillars or doors.

Side Show
02-16-2011, 04:05 AM
err okay, so what size are the standard speakers?

02-16-2011, 01:06 PM
errokay. doesnt matter. im asking about crossovers.

02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
did you misword the question or something, bc i dont understand what home crossovers have to do with the speakers in your car

Bassin Buick
02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
yes. any quality speaker system whether home or car has some type of crossover. UNLESS......they are strictly for active bi/tri amping.

02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
im beeing extra cheap and gonna get a pair of speakers from goodwill or something to use in my car
i ve used home speakers before and like how they sound.

i just like the sound of paper speakers and there isnt many paper speakers for cars besides OEM.

there was a pair of bookshelf yamaha speakers with 6.5 woofer mid and tweeter for 10 dollars. i almost got them but didnt know if i would have to make some kind of crossover for them or not.

02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
lol, why do you drive bmw if your so cheap ?

I think some cheap 2 ways wont have crossovers, they'll just use the natural roll off of the speakers, but i don't know how common that's going to be in a 3 way . I would guess with a 3 way, as with a 2 way system, you really couldn't assume one or the other - especially when you shopping in the 10$ range. Typically the only way to figure out is to bust the cabinet open look whats inside.

someone at the partsexpress forum will surely have a better answer for you

02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
:cool: didnt know they have a forum thanks.

i dont drive a bmw i drive an integra. found some mids at the junkyard and put them where my tweeters normally go and moved the tweets up to the corner of the door.

theres a topic about my setup here somewhere i dont want to explain it again.

i took apart my polk satellite speakers and they have a somewhat simple crossover. for tweeter and 3 inche speaker.

02-17-2011, 01:22 AM
The part where you mention a BMW speaker is confusing.... Do you know what size the speaker is?

People have been doing what you're asking for decades... Some of the first car audio was home audio or pro audio equipment adapted for car audio use ;) If you build door pods that meet the specs of the speakers, you can use whatever you want. Some speakers with stiff suspension can be used infinite baffle also. ;)