PDA

View Full Version : Another help me decide thread...

Slayerx
02-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Looking for some nice 6.5 coax's. Might go comps if they're cheap enough.
Heard Greg Perchal's newest set up yesterday, pair of 18's, 5 sets of Jl C2 coax's, and a set of JL C5 3 way comps. Said he's was goin for a dual SPL/SQ set up.

Anyways, I was quite impressed by the C5's, definitely had the type of sound I'm looking for. The C2's were nice as well, loud and clear to say the least. Lot's of people say JL is overrated, but these C5's sounded just as good if not better than some Focals I've heard that cost twice as much.

Anyone else heard the C5's? Anything that compares for cheaper? Been looking at the HAT Imagine's, cost about $120 less and seem to have great reviews. The C5's had exactly what I'm looking for tweets, and the mid-range definitely made it self present. The C2's were also nice, but hard to tell what exactly I'm going to get with a single set compared to 5, cause I'm looking for something that can get a little louder than average for a DD. So some suggestions would be great.

813thumper
02-14-2011, 04:23 AM
when i had my pair of crescendo CCX comps i loved them. they had very good midbass especially for being IB. they were very clear and projected nicely. the only problem that i had with them was that the terminals would come loose but they fixed that with newer models. before these i had a pair of Diamond D6 comps with the silk dome tweet and i actually enjoyed the crescendos just as much as i did the Diamonds.

813thumper
02-14-2011, 04:23 AM
not to mention the CCX only cost 100$ ;)

Bettr n' Revrse
02-14-2011, 04:24 AM
I have heard good things about Massive Audio... my set of vk6's should be here this week

Slayerx
02-14-2011, 05:26 AM
when i had my pair of crescendo CCX comps i loved them. they had very good midbass especially for being IB. they were very clear and projected nicely. the only problem that i had with them was that the terminals would come loose but they fixed that with newer models. before these i had a pair of Diamond D6 comps with the silk dome tweet and i actually enjoyed the crescendos just as much as i did the Diamonds.

The RAF feature of the Diamonds intrigues me. Only puts out 15-20% of the total load though.
Anything to compare either set to?

I have heard good things about Massive Audio... my set of vk6's should be here this week

I've heard some good things as well. Look forward to hearing your opinion.

Bettr n' Revrse
02-14-2011, 05:31 AM
I gotta get some wire but hopefully they will be in soon

Cruzer
02-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Hat imagine
image dynamics ctx

ordering HATs myself

Slayerx
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Hat imagine
image dynamics ctx

ordering HATs myself

I've heard the CTX's, great sounding set, but I'm lookin for a step up. I absolutely fell in love with the sound of the C5's. I'm thinking the Imagine set is the way to go. I could save up and just get the C5, but if I can get equal sound for less I want to

Cruzer
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
everyone over on DIYMA love the HATs. next step up is probably focal polyglass for $250 from ebay

i dont know anything about jl's though, they might be good

813thumper
02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
nothing to compare the Diamonds too since ive only had experience with those and the CCX. The tweets on the Diamonds were still a little bright, despite being silk dome, but im pretty sure that the passive crossover has -3dB option. They were extremely detailed and amped correctly they sounded phenomenal.

Slayerx
02-14-2011, 04:56 PM
everyone over on DIYMA love the HATs. next step up is probably focal polyglass for $250 from ebay

i dont know anything about jl's though, they might be good

I personally think these sound much better than the polyglass, at least the tweets do. So you're saying the focals are better than the Imagine? If so I may just have to bite the bullet and spend the cash for some JLs. Maybe I can find the C3s to demo, those might have similar performance.
Was really hoping some one on here would have experience with JLs

Cruzer
02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I personally think these sound much better than the polyglass, at least the tweets do. So you're saying the focals are better than the Imagine? If so I may just have to bite the bullet and spend the cash for some JLs. Maybe I can find the C3s to demo, those might have similar performance.
Was really hoping some one on here would have experience with JLs

i dont know if the poly glass is better than the imagine, i was sort of just going by price and the fact focal are one of the best. a friend over on DIYMA has focal k2p($700+components) and the imagine set. he said the focal is better, but the imagine is right behind it, and for the price is amazing.

Imtjnotu
02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Go with id...focal is good but too bright for me...I honestly love the sound of my ph rsd....still looking on madi sound as to which 5" ill run up front next

Slayerx
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Hmmm, looks like I'll be going with the Imagines then. Greg Perchal told me the C5's were similar to the k2's, just drastically cheaper. Thinking the Imagines are close enough, and in my price range :thumbsup:
Thanks for the input. Anyone else have more suggestions keep em commin