PDA

View Full Version : Need some help selecting the best component speakers for my install...opinions please

txdog27
02-10-2011, 03:09 AM
I have removed all of my old car auido stuff and am starting new. I have a 2002 quad cab Dodge Ram truck. I have selected my deck and equalizer, my subwoofer and sub amp, and custom built a 4cubic foot box that replaced my front middle console for the sub. My deck is a Clarion FZ409 with a Clarion EQS746 in line. My subwoofer is a Sundown Audio Z12 V2 D2 tuned to 32Hz.

Now I just need to figure out which component speakers to use this time and get a 4 channel amp for them. I like "loud" and I like "bass". I listen to mostly rap music but also alot of rock music.

I have my sub tuned really low so I need a two good sets of component speakers to give me some really good midbass. The kind where if I turned the sub off, I would still get alot of bass off of just the speakers alone. I have been looking at these 6.5" sets and hoping you guys could give me some advice on what would be best for my truck and listening habits. My budget is around $200 per set.

Infinity 60.9cs
Cerwin Vega 65cs
Image Dynamics ctx65cs
Soundstream RF-60c
Rockford Fosgate T1652-s

Now I really like the Soundstream set and is as of right now my first pick....but I am apprehensive about them actually being 160 watts rms per side like they claim. Are they really 160 per side or is that per set? Are they any good? Any opinions on which components are better and put out more bass? Have I overlooked any other good components sets that have really good midbass?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Cruzer
02-10-2011, 03:16 AM
sonic electronix and online car stereo list those soundstreams as 180 per side.

i dont know a lot about components, but with that sub, ur gonna need some loud, clear speakers. doubt u will hear much mid bass with that thing right beside u.

out of those u listed, the image dynamics set would be my first pick, then the rockfords.

if u can spend $200 there might be some good hertz, or HAT speakers that might out perform the image dynamics set, but im not sure on it.

also can u do a build log with a pic of ur center console build, or can u post a pic? i really need to do one just want it to look clean and good

graydodge14
02-10-2011, 03:35 AM
WWould love to see pictures of the console box also. Im gettinf ready to build one in my dodge also.
As far as components, i was recommended to look at the HAT imagine l6 supposedly have great midbass and can compare to even higher end component sets and they run about 215 or so. Also theres some Digital Designs 6.5 comps in the classified i would take a look at.

txdog27
02-10-2011, 03:52 AM
Yeah I knew on my last install that the sub being right next to me could be kinda bad, but no choice in this truck if I wanted big bass. I previously had a 12W7 in a 3 cubic foot box and it actually sounded pretty good with the Kicker KS 6.5 sets I had, but I wanted more bass so I bought the sundown and built a bigger box.
As far as not hearing much midbass, I actually don't really crank up the sub all the time, I just keep it on a mid level unless I am showing off or cruising around with people on the weekend. So a couple sets of components that can really pump out some good fill midbass would be great. The sub just can't give me all of the bass I want out of some music.

Cruzer
02-10-2011, 03:53 AM
doubt u will need 2 component sets. u could do a 3 way with a dedicated mid bass driver to really give u solid mid bass.

txdog27
02-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah my bad, 180 watts per side on the Soundstreams is right, Ebay says 160 lol. But that is proven true handling power?

txdog27
02-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Because that is part of the reason I liked the Sounstreams is for the simple fact that I could get the new Hifonics Zues 150.4 that is the exact same size and appearance as my sub amp, the Hifonics BRZ2100

txdog27
02-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I would have a much more symetrical and matched amp installation under the back seat if I could use that amp, but it puts out 150 watts per channel at 4 ohms.
Can the Soundstreams really handle that kind of power? Could the Image Dynamics handle that power? Can any of the sets I listed handle that power?

txdog27
02-10-2011, 04:01 AM
What exactly do you mean?

doubt u will need 2 component sets. u could do a 3 way with a dedicated mid bass driver to really give u solid mid bass.

Cruzer
02-10-2011, 04:05 AM
if u get a quality set of components, and amp them, they will be plenty loud.

i had a 15" dc lvl 4 off 1200 watts ported, i could still hear my music with my budget components off and underrated amp.

oh and the power thing, most setups can take a lot of power np, it all depends on where u cross them.

for example, i bought $10 6.5 speakers, they are rated for 50 watts rms, but they are taking my 160x2 amp and are not complaining. but i dont have them trying to play 30hz either, thats the sub job. i have my sub crossed at 100 hz so the mids playing from 80hz up.

if ur sub is crossed at 75hz u could cross ur mids at 65, 75, and they can take a lot of power.

usually the rating is for them playing from their rated frequency response, whatever it is, 30hz - 3000hz, 40hz-4000hz. if they play 30hz they cant take 100+ watts if they arent rated for it

txdog27
02-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Noob question I guess....but what what did you mean by "3 way with a dedicated mid bass driver" ?? With what and how would I do that?

Cruzer
02-10-2011, 04:15 AM
3 ways are 3 separate speakers. a tweeter, a mid range, and a mid bass.

like these
3 Way (http://www.woofersetc.com/c-41-3-way.aspx?minprice=0&maxprice=99999)

txdog27
02-10-2011, 04:16 AM
would getting a underseat box to put under the back seat and sticking a couple cheap kicker comp 10's or jl audio w1's and getting a third amp to power them help out any in the midbass region? Or would that conflict with my main subs sound?

txdog27
02-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Okay...what would I do with the 4 inchers? Where would I put them? And would I get two sets of those?

subzero
02-10-2011, 04:21 AM
I have removed all of my old car auido stuff and am starting new. I have a 2002 quad cab Dodge Ram truck. I have selected my deck and equalizer, my subwoofer and sub amp, and custom built a 4cubic foot box that replaced my front middle console for the sub. My deck is a Clarion FZ409 with a Clarion EQS746 in line. My subwoofer is a Sundown Audio Z12 V2 D2 tuned to 32Hz.

Now I just need to figure out which component speakers to use this time and get a 4 channel amp for them. I like "loud" and I like "bass". I listen to mostly rap music but also alot of rock music.

I have my sub tuned really low so I need a two good sets of component speakers to give me some really good midbass. The kind where if I turned the sub off, I would still get alot of bass off of just the speakers alone. I have been looking at these 6.5" sets and hoping you guys could give me some advice on what would be best for my truck and listening habits. My budget is around $200 per set.

Infinity 60.9cs
Cerwin Vega 65cs
Image Dynamics ctx65cs
Soundstream RF-60c
Rockford Fosgate T1652-s

Now I really like the Soundstream set and is as of right now my first pick....but I am apprehensive about them actually being 160 watts rms per side like they claim. Are they really 160 per side or is that per set? Are they any good? Any opinions on which components are better and put out more bass? Have I overlooked any other good components sets that have really good midbass?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
These wont let you down!
These handle 180 rms per side.
They have excelent configuration points on the crossovers.
They have awesome midbass and keep up when the bass is hitting 144dbs
I love these comps.

Cruzer
02-10-2011, 04:22 AM
im not sure how people do it to be honest. check out build logs.

u might find one that has a 6.5 mid, then like a 7 or 8" mid that u can put in the kick panels by ur feet

txdog27
02-10-2011, 04:26 AM
how much power are you putting to them? Do they have good midbass? Do they still sound clear at high volume?

These wont let you down!

subzero
02-10-2011, 04:32 AM
how much power are you putting to them? Do they have good midbass? Do they still sound clear at high volume?

I am putting 130 rms with my TRX4.880/
I had them holding good at 440 rms for test purposes and they never failed. and then put them back on the 130rms. Check my revised post.

The midbass is awesome. I listen to slayer, alice n chains, pantera, techno bass, rap.... they sound awesome on everything.

I need to add that I deadened my doors and put closed cell foam backing. Check out my build log. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/474271-subzeros-soundstream-cavalier-rebuild.html

ThomasMaier
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
focal 165 v30, clear, really loud, happy speakers but also throw a nice amount of mid.