PDA

View Full Version : Best 6.5" comps for $175 budget?

Heeltoeclutch
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm helping my friend piece together a system for his tC. He has allocated a budget of $175 for his front components. I've listened to his system- he currently has a 10" in the trunk and his speakers are nowhere near keeping up. Each front side will be getting 50-80 watts RMS. He listens to a lot of electronic, techno, and dubstep. Good, clear highs are very important to him, and he needs decent midbass to fill the current gap and keep up with the sub.

He does not mind buying used. Was looking at these, but Sonic says they're discontinued :(

Image Dynamics CTX65C S

Thought I'd ask people who know a lot more than I do. Any recommendations?

OmegaBunny
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I've been looking for 6.5's also and so far I'm looking at...

DDcs6.5
Digital Designs: Components/Coax Sets (http://www.ddaudio.com/CarAudio/Components/CoaxSets/Default.aspx)

Massive Audio CK 6 Stage 3
Massive Audio*::*Speakers*::*CK 6 Stage III Component Speaker (http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16175&cat=254&page=1)

Bravox CS60k
SSA Store - Bravox Audio CS60K Components (http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Bravox-Audio-CS60K-Components.html)

dbeez
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
The dd comps have came a long way with their new silk tweet it now is a very nice set and mids are pretty sweet.

OmegaBunny
02-07-2011, 08:36 PM
You can get the ID's on ebay for $210 shipped

Magnus
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Lanzar Opti6c

okiedokie
02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey heeltoeclutch.
Is your friend using the oem speakers?
I have a scion tc as well.
One of the biggiest complaints that i have my tc is that door is big, bigger then most 2door coupe & you can only go 3.5 depth, thats with a 3/4 inch spacer.
When looking into the mids you might look at the Qts,Vas,FS.
if he not remolding his doors maybe he can look into those Bravox 3way comps.
With scion tc dash there is plenty of room to make dash pods.

Is he planning on deadening his doors??
I have never played with a 10 inch in my tc.
But i have had many 12's which with the right placement timing, deadening, tuning of his stage.
He shouldn't have any problems blending a 10inch sub well.
The tc's have a really good edge over most cars as in being able to get the right sound with little ease.

Heeltoeclutch
02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
okiedokie! :D

Yes, he is currently running the stock speakers. 3.5" isnt too shabby, at least compared with Subaru. I know nothing of Bravox, anyone used these?

We will probably do minimal deadening to keep installation streamlined. May revisit later.

Also, I read Sic recommending DLS components. In this price range, are these a good option? Thoughts?

azphat12
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
I have these in my Civic

Boston Acoustics SC60 - 6-1/2" Component Speakers System - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19852_Boston-Acoustics-SC60.html)

$160 and free shipping.
I have 100 watts going to each side and they get loud. They can keep up with my 2 12's easily enough.
They also do not have huge magnets so that could be a selling point if space is an issue.
They come with different mounting rings and spacers also if you need them.

okiedokie
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
^^^ Those Boston's do get loud, but if loud is all you are looking for thenloud it should be.
When buying speakers as in midrange/midbass-tweeters.
you cant say that one comp set work well in one vs another car.
Since i do have a scion tc, i have spent many night trying to tame the doors even if you deaden them well.
One of the problems you will have will placing a midbass in the doors is when the window is cracked or halve way down you will get raddles from the window.
yeah the window vibrates.
another problem i have found out about the doors of it's size is that you need to look into a midrange/midbass that has high Qts.
low Qts mid seem to loose out on so,e midbass.
I have used many midbass in that door, Dayton-Mach5 audio-Aurum cantus/ Tonality which was amazing to my ears-Boston Pro-Polk momo-CDT audio es line-Morel-Diycable/Anarchry mid which are the best extention of xmax i have heard in a 7inch.
I want to play with Sb Actoutics & Silver Flutes.
I have 8inch midbass in panel pods now which i have that impact of midbass that i was looking for.
Those Eclipse 3way comp set from sonic is a really good buy.
I have played with them in another car, i think they are worth the low price that sonic is charging for them.
Or you could up your budget & get some Helix, which i haven't heard,but they have reviews or those HERTZ which i have listen to many times.
There is one other option is to go DIY.

DLS does make smooth laid back more comp sets, I like there higher line of speakers.
I won't say DLS are the best in that price range.
I would look at those ID from woofersetc or maybe look into Hybrid imagine for $200.
Those Bravox from SSA are on clearance & if you dont like them SSA will refund you your money.

xtullyx
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I have these in my Civic

Boston Acoustics SC60 - 6-1/2" Component Speakers System - Sonic Electronix (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_19852_Boston-Acoustics-SC60.html)

$160 and free shipping.
I have 100 watts going to each side and they get loud. They can keep up with my 2 12's easily enough.
They also do not have huge magnets so that could be a selling point if space is an issue.
They come with different mounting rings and spacers also if you need them.

what kind of music do you listen to?? I have an 02 lx and I was looking for a pair of speakers that could handle 125 rms each side and that would be well oriented in dubstep, rap, and some rock..