PDA

View Full Version : reverse mount subs

buchi
02-04-2004, 06:45 AM
i have two 12in precision power powerclass subs that i would like to install in the trunk of my 98 toyota corolla. im somewhat interested in the reverse subwoofer mount (if im correct with that term) that i usually see in magazines. now what i want to know is how do i compute the volume of the enclosure? i understand that its usually sealed and looks smaller than regular sealed enclosures which has the subwoofer conventionally installed; i.e. the back end of the sub is inside the box...not out. another thing, i understand that the phasing is reversed when the subs are installed reverse. Need i isolate each woofer or just have the enclosure without divisions for the two? can someone be kind enough to show me some enclosure diagrams that i could follow? more power!

nosaj070
02-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Ok first the correct term is invert, but you have about everything else right. You need to reverse the wiring on each sub. (+ to -) As far as airspace, you will just have all the space that the box says it has because the basket will be on the outside. If you want to figure it out, its LXWXH (Compensate for wood thickness) and divide by 1728. You don't need to separate the chambers, though it isn't always a bad idea.

buchi
02-05-2004, 07:25 AM
special thanks to nosaj070 for the speedy reply! you really are a big help (not to mention, this website!) but one more thing, are inverts always installed in sealed boxes? do they also work on bypass enclosures? moreover, in inverts, do i follow the prescribed sealed enclosure volume? in my 12 in powerclass ppis its 1.55 cu.ft. for a typical sealed enclosure and 0.81 cu.ft. for a spl sealed enclosure! thanks!

nosaj070
02-05-2004, 08:23 AM
No inverts are not only for sealed boxes, but i'm not sure what type of box you are talking about when you say bypass. If you mean bandpass, then most likely no you can't invert them, the subs are completely enclosed with only ports letting air out. If you mean ported then you definetly can invert it. As for as recomended volume goes, when it says 1.55cu ft it really doesn't matter the .05cuft that your sub displaces. So just make it close to that, If it was a ported box you would need to be exact though.

buchi
02-06-2004, 06:54 AM
now i got it all figured out. thanks a lot.

in your opinion, assuming that the sealed enclosure volume is the same, which would produce higher spl, inverts or conventional subwoofer mounts?

nosaj070
02-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Difference would not be noticeable, it woudl give it a little more box volume, which yields better low end response, but .05 cu ft really isn't gonna do too much. Inverts are usually strictly for asthetics.

buchi
02-07-2004, 05:42 AM
aesthetic is good! arent extreme car audio set up supposed to WOW!! and UMPH!! and GEE!! onlookers and listeners? if ones gonna do it nice, why not do it with style? thanks again!

there are a lot of subwoofer brands out there. but if you are to make a choice among such, what brand and model would you choose? lets say its your dream sub? moneys no object friend! lemme hear it!

if you keep on dreamin, tell me your dream components speakers and amps too!

Jonahdude
02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm doing the exact opposite! I want my setup to look blah when it's turned off, but blow people away when it's turned on.

iamamp3pimp
02-09-2004, 03:09 AM
lmao, you want it to look bad then but in some *** speakers in a small bandpass box, and behind it use real beauty - or just paint the subs electric blue -
lol

peace