PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 coaxials

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Alright guys, so I've narrowed it down, Polk Audio db651s or Infinity Kapp 652.9i or something else? Going to be powered by the head unit (JVC KDHDR60) without an amp. My music library varies from hiphop, to classic rock, to jazz, to classical, so i definitely want something that's well rounded. Which do you recommend and why?

Phoenix Risen
01-28-2011, 02:07 AM
of those 2, i would say the polk, the kappas that i have heard are pretty bright, and i dont realy like the sound of them

misfit138
01-28-2011, 02:23 AM
I'd lean towards the Polks if I was choosing between the two speakers you mentioned too.

I'd also recommend amping the speakers, no matter which you decide to buy. You don't have to spend a fortune on an amplifier, and it's really not that difficult to install a small amp somewhere out of the way. You could pick up a very nice 2-channel amp in the classifieds for less than $100 shipped...

Phoenix Risen
01-28-2011, 02:24 AM
^^^ x2 on the amp.

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 02:27 AM
^^^ x2 on the amp.
yeah, i'm going to be slowly upgrading my sound system but the speakers are going to come first. I'm in college and working a part-time job so it's going to be a work in progress over the next few years. But the speakers are a start! I was under the assumption that the Kappas are higher-end than the Polk (they are more expensive as well) but I'm glad to hear that I can save some money and get better sound! How about the Infinity 6032si, any opinion of those?

Phoenix Risen
01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
i would still go with the polk. ive used a lot of the infinity line of coax and havnt really liked any of them

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 02:34 AM
i would still go with the polk. ive used a lot of the infinity line of coax and havnt really liked any of them
good to know, i'm new to this whole car audio thing (just got my first car) so i'm still kinda feeling my way around. Anything you'd recommend over the Polks without adding an amp or component system?

misfit138
01-28-2011, 02:39 AM
In my opinion Polk speakers sound better than Infinity. Granted, I haven't installed every single speaker that both companies make. I have installed the DB coaxials you're looking at (in my cousin's Versa), though. They're seeing 50 watts or so per side and he hasn't had any problems with them whatsoever. That's why I said I'd lean towards them.

And here's another option:
There's a guy selling a pair of Crescendo CCX65 components in the classifieds right now for $80 shipped. crescendoaudio.com is selling b-stock components right now too, but you have to call to get pricing. I'd expect them to be somewhere around $75 or $80.

A pair of 2-way components will give you greater upside if/when you do get an amplifier. The price difference between the crescendo components and the coaxials you're looking at right now really isn't that significant...even for a broke college student.

Phoenix Risen
01-28-2011, 02:40 AM
other than the infinity stuff ive never ran coax, so i cant say much else as far as they go.

i can vouch for those ccx comps, they are very solid for the price. i had them on a little over rated and they played really well. i lost a tweet do to a ground coming loose, but a good budget set of comps.

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 02:44 AM
In my opinion Polk speakers sound better than Infinity. Granted, I haven't installed every single speaker that both companies make. I have installed the DB coaxials you're looking at (in my cousin's Versa), though. They're seeing 50 watts or so per side and he hasn't had any problems with them whatsoever. That's why I said I'd lean towards them.

And here's another option:
There's a guy selling a pair of Crescendo CCX65 components in the classifieds right now for $80 shipped. crescendoaudio.com is selling b-stock components right now too, but you have to call to get pricing. I'd expect them to be somewhere around $75 or $80.

A pair of 2-way components will give you greater upside if/when you do get an amplifier. The price difference between the crescendo components and the coaxials you're looking at right now really isn't that significant...even for a broke college student.
i know a component system is going to have alot more upside, but i feel like since i'm going to be doing the install myself, i don't want to have to cut holes in the dash and custom mount the tweeters, crossovers, etc. Maybe I'm wrong about the install but it seems pretty complicated, no? (by the way, I appreciate all the advice and expertise you are giving me!)

SicAudio
01-28-2011, 02:53 AM
not much harder than doing coax just more to do really...

heck you can get a decent amp new for 100$ to push em.. and the crecendo Misfit mentioned wouldn't break the bank at all.. pretty cheap for a really good set of mids..

in fact if you get those mids i will sell you a good 100 x 2 amp new for 100$...

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 02:56 AM
hmm... definitely alot to think about it. I'm still leaning towards the coaxials to be honest, just since that's what I know and I'm comfortable with and I'd probably go component next time around... I'm definitely gonna sleep on it a little bit and see what I should do.
not much harder than doing coax just more to do really...

heck you can get a decent amp new for 100$ to push em.. and the crecendo Misfit mentioned wouldn't break the bank at all.. pretty cheap for a really good set of mids..

in fact if you get those mids i will sell you a good 100 x 2 amp new for 100$...

misfit138
01-28-2011, 02:56 AM
i know a component system is going to have alot more upside, but i feel like since i'm going to be doing the install myself, i don't want to have to cut holes in the dash and custom mount the tweeters, crossovers, etc. Maybe I'm wrong about the install but it seems pretty complicated, no? (by the way, I appreciate all the advice and expertise you are giving me!)

The crescendo components can be mounted as seperates, but you'd also have the option of mounting the tweeter coaxially. That means the install could be exactly the same (except you'd need to mount the Crescendo crossovers somewhere, and you'd be using two runs of speaker wire from the crossovers). It's easy, man.

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
yeah, i'm going to talk to a few friends that have done stuff to their car and see if they can help me out installing this kinda stuff. I know I can definitely do coaxial speakers on my own. Also, my PT cruiser has very little room for the speakers, so I have to use a shallow mount option. I'll definitely keep you all posted on what i decide to do and how the final system turns out!
The crescendo components can be mounted as seperates, but you'd also have the option of mounting the tweeter coaxially. That means the install could be exactly the same (except you'd need to mount the Crescendo crossovers somewhere, and you'd be using two runs of speaker wire from the crossovers). It's easy, man.

Bob Saget
01-28-2011, 03:30 AM
yeah, i'm going to talk to a few friends that have done stuff to their car and see if they can help me out installing this kinda stuff. I know I can definitely do coaxial speakers on my own. Also, my PT cruiser has very little room for the speakers, so I have to use a shallow mount option. I'll definitely keep you all posted on what i decide to do and how the final system turns out!

It's a breeze, just be careful not to break the door skin or misplace the clips that hold it in.

bugflipper
01-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Mounting a tweet can be as easy as just putting double sided tape on the back and mounting it on a windshield with the wire coming out from behind the a-pillar. I have seen people velcro them to the dash, a-pillar or whatever as well. Nothing has to be too complicated. A lot of people just zip tie the x overs under the dash so they don't flop around. If you are stuck on no amp. I would suggest getting comps or coaxs with very high sensitivity db so you can at least get some volume out of them.
Good luck.

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
if i do the ccx 65 for the front doors, what do i do in the rear doors?

Bob Saget
01-28-2011, 10:04 AM
if i do the ccx 65 for the front doors, what do i do in the rear doors?

A 6.5 coax with good midbass.

Phoenix Risen
01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
im not sure which pt you have, but the ones i have worked on have no speakers in the rear doors. the rears are in the D pillars by the back hatch, and they are 6x8s.

and its easy to put a set of comps in a pt, the small panels in the corner of the door are very thin and have plenty of room behind them. a steady hand and a dremel can make a very nice flush mount location. if you dont want to go that far, just use the angle mount cups and either double sided auto grade tape or a small square of velcro.

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
im not sure which pt you have, but the ones i have worked on have no speakers in the rear doors. the rears are in the D pillars by the back hatch, and they are 6x8s.

and its easy to put a set of comps in a pt, the small panels in the corner of the door are very thin and have plenty of room behind them. a steady hand and a dremel can make a very nice flush mount location. if you dont want to go that far, just use the angle mount cups and either double sided auto grade tape or a small square of velcro.
that's weird, mine definitely has speakers in the rear doors and nothing in the back hatch. I think I will go with a component set. I realized where the dash speakers should be, it just has some cardboard covers, so I could just put a piece of doublesided tape on the back of the tweeters and mount them there. Talked to crutchfield and they recommended the Rockford Fosgate Prime R1652-S, any opinion of those? I definitely want a main, well-known brand that I can buy online and get the best deal.

OmegaBunny
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Not sure about those RF's, but for that price you can go with either those Crescendo's or PG RSD's. I;m waiting my my Crescendo's, so I can't tell you anything about them, but the RSD's are nice for a tight budget... I have a set that were fine in my Durango and my Jetta, but I am waiting to hear the crescendo's before I decide which I'm installing in my car. The other set is going into the wife's car. You can also pick up a cheap amp, something like these...

WoofersEtc.com - TXA-1502 - Cadence 2 Channel High Power 300 Watt Amplifier (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6096-txa-1502-cadence-2-channel-high-power-300-watt-amplifier.aspx)
Kicker ZX200.2 (10ZX200.2) 2-Channel Amplifier Car Amp (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21960_Kicker-ZX200.2-10ZX200.2.html)

Heeltoeclutch
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
If you're on a college student budget (like me!) you can ignore the rear speakers for awhile-they will contribute much less to the sound of your system than an amp or something that you could spend that money on. I'm doing HU, front components, and amping the fronts. The rear speakers won't mind being run off the HU for awhile. :)