PDA

View Full Version : Hertz Audio Components - Which model line to get?

Trancer
01-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, Im building a stereo for my brother in his 2007 NBS regular cab Silverado.

I have always heard great things about Hertz Audio.

I was going to go with the Focal Access 165A's, but they seem a bit pricey for their low end model line. Their Polyglass line is roughly around the same price. Like, $50 more. Plus the Access line only takes 60 watts RMS. Ill be throwing more power at them.

Budget is $150-$250. I can find good deals on the net so say my MSRP budget is up to $350 or so.

So her are my options of what I am looking at getting.

Hertz Audio HSK 165 - $368 (125 watts RMS)
Hertz Audio ESK 165 - $240 (100 watts RMS)
Hertz Audio DSK 165 - $150 (80 watts RMS)

Boston Acoustics SE - $275 Shipped (125 watts rms)

Focal Access 165A1 - $260 (65 watts RMS)
Focal Access 165V1 - $299 (70 watts RMS)

Ill be running a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2, which I am also looking to purchase, so if anyone has a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2 and a 1200.1, please let me know.

Im leaning towards the Hertz Audio HSK 165, but they seem awfully cheap. Arent these suppose to be their higher end model line?

Let me know what you guys thinks. He listens to rap and rock

bugflipper
01-28-2011, 01:48 AM
The HSK on ebay from malaysia are the old model pre-08. They are not harsh up top. They do lack just a bit at the bottom, just like most focals under $450. But again at least they are not harsh up top. Hertz has a very natural sound. For the price of $90 I doubt you will find a better sounding comp until $220 for a HAT Imagine. Which sounds better than most $450 comps. For reference. the post-08 hertz sound better than the Imagines, but they usually stay around $350 or so. As with anything else what sounds best is just opinion. I would jump on an hsk set for under $90 since they will make the focals sound like a teacher scratching a chalk board. :) BTW the old HSK sound better than the new ESK as well their tweeter is not harsh by focal standards. But is a little brighter than the hsk. The esk needs a lot of eq to get it to blend well. The old hsk line went for years so it was perfected to a pretty good matched sound.

Trancer
01-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Awesome. Hey, thanks for the reply. I was wondering why those HSK's were going for $90. It scared me a bit, but he has good feedback.

Is there anything else you would recommend? From your opininon, it seems like the $90 HSK's are a steal.

I forgot to mention, since you said that the ESK's needs to be EQ'd well, but this will be ran of the stock head unit to a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1. I think it has a 10 band EQ if I remember correctly. Thanks for the input. Let me know if that changes anything up.

Blanco Diablo
01-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Beware of those eBay Hertz comps. Was reading on another forum about a guy who bought some but they were a bit suspect. Weird grammar errors on box, different fonts used on crossovers, etc. Buyer beware on those. Maybe someone on here has bought some that worked out????

Trancer
01-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I am a bit weary of that extremely cheap price. I think I may just pass on that. Its going to be tough to talk him into buying a set of component speakers for $368. Thats the cheapest I could find the HSK 165's. Does anyone know of a place where I can get these any cheaper?

If not, is it worth the price increase or would any of their other models suit his needs? He's a college kid on a budget. I would prefer something that will take the raw power of the Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2 or a PG Tantrum 600.4 bridged.

Anyone want to help chime in? Looks like the Focal's are out. No I dont want to get him CDT's. I have always read mixed reviews on them and I know there are just better components out there for the money.

bugflipper
01-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Hertz is made in Italy, until the 2008 models they always screwed up the spelling in English. On the new boxes they do at least have the spelling correct, but the grammar is still off. They have dozens of threads on these over on DIYMA. As long as the seller has good feedback all should be well. If not ebay and paypal will have to be used to get the money back, which actually is not that big of a deal.

The only way to get the new hsk for a good deal is on ebay Italy. They are around $200 US. In Germany they are about $230 US. In America our dealers stick it to us so they stay near $350.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Hmmmmm got me thinkin... Id love to have some hertz since I have heard they sound very, as you put it natural, which is what I want but am not sure I can find some that are in my price range

*** Holy S*** Maybe not since shipping is 30-40 bucks!

Trancer
01-28-2011, 04:36 AM
Hmmm well that puts a new twist on things again. Maybe I will opt for the $90 set of HSK's on ebay. Just wondering if its worth the risk. I know Paypal and Ebay has my back, but I want to get it right he first time, since I will be driving 300 miles in my gas guzzling 5700 pound Sierra. LOL It would put a big damper in our install as I kinda have one shot at getting it done. But as you said, if he has good feedback, then there shouldnt be a problem.

Bettr n' Revrse
01-28-2011, 04:49 AM
I was talking about the Ebay ones unfortunatly... Tiawan and Malaysia is where both of them are from, ones 30 somthing and the other is 40 somthing for shipping

slammedincouch
01-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I have a pair of Hertz HSK 165s in my front stage and DSKs in the trunk. the hi-energy stuff is worth the money imo. They get loud and sound clean. As always though, I would recommend taking a listen before you buy any comps to make sure they're up to your standards

Blanco Diablo
01-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I know Hertz is from Italy. I have a box of these older HSKs and it doesn't have the grammar/spelling errors or the weird font issues on the crossovers. Just giving you tips, if you buy and notice this it's could be a sign that they are fake. The guy on this thread bought from the same seller I believe. Like one poster in the thread had mentioned, guess it's possible they are irregulars, etc.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/489811-hertz-hsk-165-fake-real.html

My box looks similar to that one but no mistakes. Crossovers are clean, same type throughout, not misaligned. Your call man, just passing on info.

Trancer
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Id rather buy a set of Comps that I know is real and legit. Id even be willing to buy a set off of here, if anyone has any for sale.

Wasatch
01-30-2011, 05:07 AM
I have a pair of ESK 165, and they are a very nice speaker.

Trancer
02-01-2011, 02:24 AM
I have a pair of ESK 165, and they are a very nice speaker.

What kind of power are you throwing at these?

Bettr n' Revrse
02-01-2011, 02:31 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-classifieds-old-replies-only/501611-re-sub-optima-batt-ring-terms-hertz-mids.html... Here ya go!

Trancer
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-classifieds-old-replies-only/501611-re-sub-optima-batt-ring-terms-hertz-mids.html... Here ya go!

Thanks for the heads up! I wish he had some ESK 165's or HSK 165's. I need a 6.5" woofer, those are 5 3/4" woofers. However, he does have some other goodies I may grab from him. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Trancer
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
There's a guy here on the message board selling his BNIB Boston Acoustics SE's for $275 shipped. Are the Boston Acoustic SE's worth throwing into the mix? If so, the price?

Trancer
02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Anyone?

Bettr n' Revrse
02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I wish he had some ESK 165's or HSK 165's. I need a 6.5" woofer, those are 5 3/4" woofers. However, he does have some other goodies I may grab from him. Thanks, I appreciate it!

No problem just figured Id let you know

disturbed471985
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
There's a guy here on the message board selling his BNIB Boston Acoustics SE's for $275 shipped. Are the Boston Acoustic SE's worth throwing into the mix? If so, the price?

Very good set and the price he is asking for is decent also. I use hertz hsk crossovers and there quality has far exceeded my expectations

Trancer
02-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Very good set and the price he is asking for is decent also. I use hertz hsk crossovers and there quality has far exceeded my expectations

I just checked the net for the BA Pro SE's and I found them cheaper online, so if I decide to go with those, then Ill get it elsewhere.

I think I am going to go with the Hertz ESK 165's. My friend wont be able to afford the HSK 165's unfortunately.

georg
02-07-2011, 07:51 AM
if you decided to go with hertz l would rather go with new line of audison com systems sound is more accurate and tw are more natural but l have listen only 3way from both .
l dont know how is in your country but in Croatia audison is cheeper(this new line cost around 200 eur)
I prefer focal becouse it has much brighter sound but on amp l have only used k2 systems