PDA

View Full Version : your input needed!

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, so I've got a 2007 PT Cruiser and just took out the factory HU and replaced it with the JVC KDHDR60. Sound is much better with the factory speakers, but I'm still not thrilled. Front and rear doors are both 6.5" so just wanted to get some opinions from you all. I'd really appreciate it alot and I'll gladly post a followup after i've got them installed. I've done some research and i'm considering the Infinity Kapp 652.9, Polk db651s, Infinity 6032si, and Alpine SPS-600c. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

matt_bennett05
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow you're like 15 mins from me. (Cairo)

What's your budget?

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
nice, yeah I'm a student at FSU (go noles!). looking to be under $200 for both pairs. I was able to find the Infinity Kappas on amazon for $80 a pair which seems to be insanely cheap. But wanted to get a second opinion. I know running speakers without an amp can be iffy...

matt_bennett05
01-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah I promise you it's a night and day difference between an amplified and headunit driven set. I'm not too familiar with the Infinity's though. I can tell you that I'm impressed with the "CDT" co-axials I recently purchased. [{Go Gators}] lol

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah I promise you it's a night and day difference between an amplified and headunit driven set. I'm not too familiar with the Infinity's though. I can tell you that I'm impressed with the "CDT" co-axials I recently purchased. [{Go Gators}] lol
yeah, i know it's a big difference, just can't really afford an amp right now. I'm really liking the Kappa line because it has a built in crossover and seems to be a pretty highend model. Only thing I'm seeing is they require alot more power and they might not give me the detail i'm looking for. (according to the guy at Crutchfield) The HU puts out 20w/channel RMS while the speakers i'm looking at are 2-75w RMS. Is that probably a bad matchup?

SicAudio
01-27-2011, 11:17 PM
CDT ? you are easily impressed then lol

on deck power do the Kappas.. then amp when you can

leave the rears on deck power ( stock speakers ) and amp the fronts with the money you save buying just 1 set of mids ;)

1rockford1
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM
^^small cawk^^

Bob Saget
01-27-2011, 11:21 PM
If you're wanting to stay on a low budget I'd stay with 6.5'' coaxials in the front & rear. You should be able to find some nice ones that will sound alright on h/u power.

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 11:21 PM

leave the rears on deck power ( stock speakers ) and amp the fronts with the money you save buying just 1 set of mids ;)
not to sound like a total idiot, but i am new to this stuff... what did you mean by set of mids?

matt_bennett05
01-27-2011, 11:22 PM

for the $ I have in them compared to the Memphis' they replaced, YES I AM...

matt_bennett05
01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
not to sound like a total idiot, but i am new to this stuff... what did you mean by set of mids?

What he's saying is that you should only invest in one set of components for your front stage and instead of buying a rear set buy a 2 or 4 channel amp to power the front set and it will be more impressive/louder/clearer than the 4 6.5" on headunit power! :thumbsup:

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 11:26 PM
yeah, i think i'm going to go with the infinity kappa line...

If you're wanting to stay on a low budget I'd stay with 6.5'' coaxials in the front & rear. You should be able to find some nice ones that will sound alright on h/u power.

SicAudio
01-27-2011, 11:31 PM
memphis coax? not impressed with them either lol

Bob Saget
01-27-2011, 11:33 PM
yeah, i think i'm going to go with the infinity kappa line...

I didn't like the Infinity's I had a few years back, but I haven't heard the newer ones.

SicAudio
01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
and Matt is dead on with what I said :)

you can do a small 2 channel amp and 1 set of good mids for the same price as 2 sets of decent coax...

way louder
way cleaner
way better..

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 11:39 PM
alright, what models would you recommend?

you can do a small 2 channel amp and 1 set of good mids for the same price as 2 sets of decent coax...

way louder
way cleaner
way better..

Bob Saget
01-27-2011, 11:42 PM

way louder
way cleaner
way better..

Too much trouble for what he wants. Coaxials all around off h/u power is more than enough to make 75% of people happy.

gonoles92
01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
granted i don't know alot about car audio, i'd have to agree. I'm going to be installing myself so i'd rather not have to worry about rewiring and whatnot, just take off the door panels, throw the new speakers in and good to go...
Too much trouble for what he wants. Coaxials all around off h/u power is more than enough to make 75% of people happy.

matt_bennett05
01-27-2011, 11:57 PM

You're 100% right there. Just as long as they are effecient they should make him a happy "Cuum-by-yaah" camper

SicAudio
01-27-2011, 11:59 PM
then if thats all ya want get the Kappas

they are cheap on cost and sound decent on deck power

no sense wasting time recommending anything better.

the Kappas will do fine if you don't want it really loud ( but they get decent volume on decent deck power )

gonoles92
01-28-2011, 12:05 AM
I think i'm going to go that route. I'm happy with how loud the factory speakers get, just the fact that they get so distorted you can't makeout any lyrics is a bit disappointing haha. Plus i'd like to keep my hearing 30 years from now ;). As long as they will be a major upgrade from my stock speakers, i'll be more than content.
then if thats all ya want get the Kappas

they are cheap on cost and sound decent on deck power

no sense wasting time recommending anything better.

the Kappas will do fine if you don't want it really loud ( but they get decent volume on decent deck power )