PDA

View Full Version : What enclosure type is best for type R's

BoneStockSystem
02-03-2004, 07:31 PM
actually here another question how does a sub perform better in specifc enclosure types like most are sealed reccommended but what does that mean cuz each enclosure offers it own advantages and characteristics in it self. so i mean how can one sound better than in another if each one already is going to have a different sound. And heres for the thread question i got 2 typer 10's i wanna go for a ported to get more spl out if but a guy at cc says it sounds the best in a sealed but i want a mixture between good response but lower souding rumbling base hence a ported also does amp matter im running a Profile Ca800

BooLeaN
02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I have two type r 12's in a small ported box and I love them. I think the SQ is awsome for my ears. Maybe they **** but it doesn't bother me.

InhumanAcura
02-03-2004, 10:35 PM
It depends on alot of different variables. What are you putting them in (car). how many watts are you running to them? what are your listening habits?, and what music?

scottrc5391
02-03-2004, 11:30 PM
We had a BIG thread on this a while ago (which ended in pages of argument), but do a search on sealed vs. ported and read the first few pages. There are some guys on here who said all that ever needs to be said about the two and their advantages. I am not going to go into the physics behind it all.
But I will tell you the main pros/cons of each in terms of sound (experts correct me if I am wrong):

Sealed: best sound quality, good for lower frequencies (rumbling bass), generally bass sounds tighter and more accurate.

Ported: best for SPL (huge dBs at tuning frequency), not as good for lower notes unless tuned that low, there will always be some distortion due to sound being emitted from both the cone and the port and phase differences.

Basically, just go for sealed unless you really know what you are doing and want loud sound. Type R's sound good in sealed boxes from my experience anyway.
And of course you want to match the woofer with the type of enclosure it was intended for. For example, many SPL woofers need to be in ported box to sound right. I think I pretty much summed it up.