PDA

View Full Version : Can some one explain kenwood system Q and speaker size?

BowerR64
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Firs time post here, im looking for some indepth info on the system Q and the speaker size settings in the kenwood receivers.

I have a DPX-302 and my nephew has a KDC-MP242 with very similar settings.

Whan im wanting is the EQ curves in each setting. Why does changing the speaker size benifit the sound? what curves does it change?

The PDF and paper manual we have just tells what they are like System Q = flat, rock, jazz, natural and the book just says : speaker size OEM, 6X9, 5/4 sp off.

I kinda want some more indepth info so i have a better idea what im changing.

Any info would be great!

trumpet
01-09-2011, 03:07 AM
I have the DPX302 PDF manual open now. It appears the Q setting is some standard preset EQ settings common on many low end head units. The speaker size setting appears to add another layer to this option, and I assume each time you change the speaker size option the Q settings will have slightly different EQ presets to accommodate different frequency response characteristics. You probably would get more bass boost on the 6*9/6 speaker setting than OEM or 5/4. I'm not going to read the entire manual but you probably will not find the EQ curves anywhere.

For the short answer I would just set the speaker setting to match what speakers you actually have and then play it by ear.

Bassin Buick
01-09-2011, 03:09 AM
If there is an off option , use that.