PDA

View Full Version : Dissappointed with the Alpine Type S

wickedmax
02-01-2004, 01:25 AM
i've installed my Alpine type S coaxials (6.5" all around) with 40W RMS / 200W peak, and i must say, im kind of dissappointed due to the fact i spent $160 + $40 for installation on them. i know that's not much, but im a highschooler on a VERY low budget.

*i was wondering, will a 4channel speaker amp make them more pleasing to my ears? right now they're running off of a crappy sony HU. i don't know much about amps with speakers, but...will a Profile CA440 (60W RMS x 4) work or will that be too much for the speakers? should i even go as far as a CA640 (75W x 4)?

i can these for $80 or $100 which * if I will notice much change * I can afford.

right now, the speakers get decently loud, but when i get it loud enough for ME, they get distorted, if i send them the extra wattage will that distortion go away? or will it just blow the speakers? if i had to guess i would say they're probably getting 20W RMS each, right now, but i dunno. anyways thanx for the help.

LSCCEO
02-01-2004, 08:27 PM
The speakers themselves aren't distorting it's the output of the deck that is distorting. An amp will defintely help, and I think the 60x2 is sufficient, but the 75x2 shouldn't hurt them. Just set the gains properly and enjoy!!

scottrc5391
02-01-2004, 09:31 PM
I don't see what the problem is with your system; I have the 6.5" Type-S coaxials too and they never distort. I power them with an Alpine 7875 60Wx4 max headunit and they sound dang good. They never distort and I have turned it up to like 30 and had those woofers movin'. I think it is your headunit. And if by "loud enough for me" you mean at really high volume then it is definately your headunit. Personally, if I were you, I would look on Ebay or something for some good headunits and that might solve the problem. I have been in many cars where the 6.5"s weren't amped and they were crystal clear.

Hazardus
02-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Yeah, ive got the same thing in my car, and the only issue I have with them is they cant go as loud as the rest of my system without popping (expanding too much). Thinking about selling them for some xplods.

wickedmax
02-03-2004, 06:02 PM
alrighty, from the general consensous, i think im going to try to save up a little more and go with an Alpine HU (CDA-9813 more than likely) i've found it at circuit city for $290 with free installation. well i can't remember if that was for the 9811 or what, but anyways. ill give the HU a shot, if that doesn't dramatically improve it then ill thrown a speaker amp in there.
(which im guessing it will help alot because i have a DATED sony HU)

****! all the money's going away before i can even get the subs in there, but i want SQ, and i don't want to be hearing SOLELY bass, and no lyrics.

but any other suggestions would be awesome, and thanks for al the help.

taylor
02-04-2004, 07:50 PM
amplifier will be the best bet....i havent ran anything off of a h/u since....hmmm....99....back in my uneducated days.

88k5blazer
02-08-2004, 07:32 PM
There isnt anything wrong with your speakers. I would just go with an amp not buying a new h/u(though the alpine h/u will RAPE the sony) esp if ur not looking to just throw around money

brandont
02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Even though 88k5blazer is right about Alpine HU's compared to Sony's, a good amp on the highs will make a huge difference compared to just changing headunits. The biggest mistake people make when starting out in car audio is by buying a headunit and running the head unit to the speakers and expecting a HUGE difference.
The new head unit is giving a little more power than the stock, but the aftermarket speakers are also less efficient. Remember that if the speakers are less efficient, you need more power.

wickedmax
02-09-2004, 12:22 AM
hmmm, ok. do you guys think a profile CA440 would be a good choice?? 60Wx4 RMS i believe, and all for like $85. open to suggestions

Alpine CDA-9815
02-10-2004, 02:37 AM
Well getting a better HU like the 9813 will make a huge difference. Really there is nothing wrong with the speakers, you can have the best sounding speakers in the world but if the HU itself dose not put out good quality sound what good are the speakers? The 9813 is a much better sounding HU and will give you some more watts... 27WRMS, almost double the Sony I believe. Then if you are not happy with that then I will get the amp.