PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Z-2300 satellite speaker replacement....can I use another brand?

SkwurlyFab
12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I blew the speakers on my Logitech Z-2300 computer speaker system. The sub still works fine and I love it. The satellite speakers **** though and blew out after only a couple months of use. They started crackling about 4 months in and then the left one stopped working completely. Shortly after the right speaker started to deteriorate as well and just yesterday it finally quit on me.

My question is this: can i replace the crappy Logitech satellites with aftermarket satellite speakers that will sound better and last longer?

I know the Logitech satellite speakers get fed 80 watts each @ 8 ohms a piece.

I also found these specs of the amplifiers used in the Z-2300 system:

The amplifier module in Z-2300 uses four Class-AB STMicroelectronics power amplifiers. The amplifier uses:
i) Two STMicroelectronics Class-AB, 80W, TDA7295 amplifiers bridged together to provide a total of 2 X 80=160W for the subwoofer.
ii) Two STMicroelectronics Class-AB, 60W, TDA7296 amplifiers powering each of the satellites.
iii) A Japan Radio Corporationís JRC-4565 operational amplifier required for the headphones in the control pod.
iv) Filtering of the audio signal is done by two SamXon/ CapXon 10,000 uF, 35V capacitors.
v) The amplifier board has two voltage regulators/ stabilizers a 78M18 and a 79M18, making positive and negative 18 volts respectively.

One thing about the system is that that each speaker attaches to the back of the amp built into the sub with a single RCA cord. So unless I find a speaker with a single male RCA plug on the end of it's wire like Logitech makes, I think I will have to plug in an RCA cable to the amp and then cut off the end to expose the positive and negative wires so that I can clip them into the back of the replacement satellite speakers. Would this work correctly?

I was looking at these, they seem to be an affordable replacement that match the impedance of the Logitech satellites.

MTX Monitor 5i 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-019)

If anybody's ever done this swap before let me know what you did and how it works! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Drummer65
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Ive got the Logitech Z-2300 and i couldn't stand the sq out of those satellite speakers. If you want the satellites i can sell you them but id recommend running a pair of bookshelf speakers. Ive got mine hooked up to the classic DCM Time window 1 speakers and it pushes it great. The amp is rated actually 40 watts not 80. Splitting the end of an rca cable will expose the inner positive wire and the outer negative wire so use those to connect to your bookshelf speakers.