PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer and why? (LCD vs. Plasma)

porksoda
12-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Well I am considering to buy a TV for our living room.
The living room is not very big.
I plan on putting a 40"-46" TV but I am unsure on what kind to choose.
I go and look at them at stores(e.g. Sears and Walmart) and they all look the same to me.
I was wanting to set my budget at $550 but from the prices I saw I may have to bump that up a $100 or so.
I want something that will last me. I know this is kind of a big investment that I don't want to replace in a few years from now.

I see and hear about 720p and 1080p.
Which I was told that means its a better picture but I really cant tell a difference.
Either kinds of TV look amazing!
Anything will be better then my Tube TV I have now.
I saw LED TV's are out but those are way too much for me.

So what do you prefer and why?

Sarthos
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
LCD>Plasma. Why? Longevity. Plasma screens get images burned into it. Especially if you have anything on the screen that's not moving. People who play video games with any sort of display that's always on the screen (like the map in the corner of GTA games) or a crosshairs in the center of shooting games seem to hate this the most. Eventually no matter what they do there are lines in the screen where those items normally are.

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Each one has it's pros and cons. Some people think plasma looks better some don't. Only major thing about plasma is that the brightness faded over the years. Not a big deal if you start out with it at say 50%, then you can just turn in up and it will last you untill it'd be time to replace anyways. As far as 1080p, you can start to see the difference at about 40" plus, but the only way to get 1080p content right now is bluray. HD cabe/sattelite is only 720p or 1080i. Don't go to big for how close you'll be sitting. You want the screen size to be abiut 2x the viewing distance, not a rule just a good starting point. Get a samsung or LG and you cant go wrong with quality. Stay away from sony unless you're buying one of thier high end tv's. Pretty much if your budget only gets you a plasma then go for it. If you can save up a bit more and wait, I would to get a lcd.

Sarthos
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
That's another thing I forgot, the reason you might not have seen a difference between screens may have been if they didn't have a good enough source to send the signal. If you feed a 1080P screen and a 720P screen 720P signal you probably won't notice a difference.

Digital Designs
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
If you dont need a bunch of hdmi ports, Walmart has a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD tv for $498. It only has one hdmi port though. It is still an excellent deal, Samsung is one of the top LCD companies in my opinion.

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Oh ya, as far as burn in, that takes an hour+. Some models now have technology that sendd a small grey line of pixels thats unnoticable to prevent that, but those models are higher end models out of your budget. My vote is lcd.

Louisiana_CRX
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
If you dont need a bunch of hdmi ports, Walmart has a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD tv for $498. It only has one hdmi port though. It is still an excellent deal, Samsung is one of the top LCD companies in my opinion.

they have a 50" Plasma for $549 :yumyum:

Digital Designs
12-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Each one has it's pros and cons. Some people think plasma looks better some don't. Only major thing about plasma is that the brightness faded over the years. Not a big deal if you start out with it at say 50%, then you can just turn in up and it will last you untill it'd be time to replace anyways. As far as 1080p, you can start to see the difference at about 40" plus, but the only way to get 1080p content right now is bluray. HD cabe/sattelite is only 720p or 1080i. Don't go to big for how close you'll be sitting. You want the screen size to be abiut 2x the viewing distance, not a rule just a good starting point. Get a samsung or LG and you cant go wrong with quality. Stay away from sony unless you're buying one of thier high end tv's. Pretty much if your budget only gets you a plasma then go for it. If you can save up a bit more and wait, I would to get a lcd.

Why do you feel Sony isnt good? I think they are up there with Samsung, Sharp, LG, etc. I have a 40 inch Sony 1080p LCD and it is worlds better than all the cheap brands, and looks just as good if not better than any other TV I have seen. I also have a 32 inch Vizio LCD and its good for the price, definitely better than most.

Also, you say you want the screen size to be 2 times the viewing distance. So this means since my viewing distance from my couch to my TV is about 8 feet, I should have a 16 foot tv? That makes a lot of sense......

Sarthos
12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
cuz cheap sony HDTVs have sony xplod equipment hidden inside of them :(

nateberrier
12-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Sony has a low contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is just about everything with TVs. Plasmas have the highest but they are also not easily repairs and can get burnins and can be hard to see in direct sunlight. LCDs are cheap to repair usually and have a longer life over all but warrant lower contrast ratios, LC, and Samsung and i think Toshiba are top. Used to work at Sears a year or so ago. You wont find 1080p under 32 inches either.

nateberrier
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
also sears will do a price match plus 10% off if you find a lower price elsewhere.

Louisiana_CRX
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I have an LED LCD TV its a Vizio I like the pic quality on it....the 47" was as big as I could get for my entertainment center...I'm trying to figure out how to install a bigger one...without replacing it...I have found a few 52" LCD's that will fit but no LED LCD's....:(

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Why do you feel Sony isnt good? I think they are up there with Samsung, Sharp, LG, etc. I have a 40 inch Sony 1080p LCD and it is worlds better than all the cheap brands, and looks just as good if not better than any other TV I have seen. I also have a 32 inch Vizio LCD and its good for the price, definitely better than most.

I'm sure it looks better than cheap brands, but from what I've seen, for the price you can usually do alot better, especially with a samsung or lg. Their entry level tvs that I've seen looked like poo honestly. Thier top and mid tier look great though, but still for the price usually, you can get a samsung, even a size larget and higher quality screen. But everyone has thier own tastes, just like car audio. Like I said, lots of people think plasmas look better

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Sony has a low contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is just about everything with TVs. Plasmas have the highest but they are also not easily repairs and can get burnins and can be hard to see in direct sunlight. LCDs are cheap to repair usually and have a longer life over all but warrant lower contrast ratios, LC, and Samsung and i think Toshiba are top. Used to work at Sears a year or so ago. You wont find 1080p under 32 inches either.

Haha I work for sears now sellin tv's. Ya toshiba is up thier too, I own a 46" 1080p 120hz toshiba and it's beautiful.
And Rca makes 1080p down to 22", I dont know why lol

Rich B
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Next time you're in a store looking at HDTV's place the back of your hand an inch away from an LCD screen, then repeat that with a plasma.

Plasma's run a lot hotter, which tells you how much more electricity they will end up using.

Digital Designs
12-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm sure it looks better than cheap brands, but from what I've seen, for the price you can usually do alot better, especially with a samsung or lg. Their entry level tvs that I've seen looked like poo honestly. Thier top and mid tier look great though, but still for the price usually, you can get a samsung, even a size larget and higher quality screen. But everyone has thier own tastes, just like car audio. Like I said, lots of people think plasmas look better

I looked at all the different brands. I liked the Sony I bought, and 2 different Samsungs. The Sony looked just as good as the Samsung and it has a few features that the Samsung didnt have(USB, automatic brightness changed by the light in the room, more HDMI ports, coax and optical audio out, to name a few...) They were about the same price, so the Sony won hands down. I was not looking for top of the line, just a budget 40-42 inch TV, and the Sony I bought is perfect for what we needed. It looks amazing with anything we play on it(blu ray, ps3, xbox360, hd cable, etc...)

Haunz
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Also, you say you want the screen size to be 2 times the viewing distance. So this means since my viewing distance from my couch to my TV is about 8 feet, I should have a 16 foot tv? That makes a lot of sense......

I think he ment half the viewing distance..

8'*12"/2 = 48" TV

I sit about 5 feet away from my 52" and I think its perfect...

Digital Designs
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM

8'*12"/2 = 48" TV

I figured, just wanted to point that out. We have a 40 inch and it is plenty for our living room. We dont need a huge tv.

nateberrier
12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
i think 40 is a huge tv lul

benzmansl65amg
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I have seen a ton of bad information. That is all. Buy a Samsung LED LCD but that is way out of your budget. I would get a plasma. Unless you are using game consoles on it then i would get an LCD.

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM

8'*12"/2 = 48" TV

Ya you're right, I switched it, just woke up haha

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Next time you're in a store looking at HDTV's place the back of your hand an inch away from an LCD screen, then repeat that with a plasma.

Plasma's run a lot hotter, which tells you how much more electricity they will end up using.

Most plasmas are energy star certified now, just like the lcd's.

BlactimusCrime
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I have a 42" sanyo 720p plasma, i love it, its a clear image and it cost me $480 after tax at wally world.

for me, the biggest difference is the refresh rate. my plasma is 600hz, which is a huge difference over the 60 or 120 out of affordable LCDs. it eliminates the flicker that drives me bonkers. my .02

Digital Designs
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I have seen a ton of bad information. That is all. Buy a Samsung LED LCD but that is way out of your budget. I would get a plasma. Unless you are using game consoles on it then i would get an LCD.

Mind elaborating on what information is bad?

cotjones
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Conclusively, Plasmas are only on par with LCD's if you ONLY watch movies ( 30fps.)

In all other situations LCD is All around better.

Just don't be a dummy and use 240hz refreshing while watching 30 fps content.

The whole artistic value of movies is the dark rich tones and smooth motion resulting from the framerate.

The basically Higher frame rates resulting from the frame interpolation of 120 or 240hz rates isn't meant for movies, its meant for football games and other TV content because it gives extremely sharp motion and bright realistic color while decreasing juddering.

Go to a movie theater and look how juddery the motion is on slow pans. It's ironically meant to be like that. When its not like that the picture looks funny, it doesn't feel like a movie anymore.

The other option is: some TV's have a setting where they simply refresh the same frame at 240hz rather than creating interpolations. This is fine with movies, but a feature usually in more expensive TV's.

cotjones
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Oop's double post

cotjones
12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
You are being misled, Your 600hz refresh rate is a system known as Subfield drive. Which means the picture is broken into 10 subfields making the total picture refresh rate more comparable to a 60 hz LCD refresh rate.

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I looked at all the different brands. I liked the Sony I bought, and 2 different Samsungs. The Sony looked just as good as the Samsung and it has a few features that the Samsung didnt have(USB, automatic brightness changed by the light in the room, more HDMI ports, coax and optical audio out, to name a few...) They were about the same price, so the Sony won hands down. I was not looking for top of the line, just a budget 40-42 inch TV, and the Sony I bought is perfect for what we needed. It looks amazing with anything we play on it(blu ray, ps3, xbox360, hd cable, etc...)

Doesnt sound like a entry level sony, nor a budget 42", which is what the OP is looking for. I said thier mid levels are good and everyone had thier own tastes and needs.

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
You are being misled, Your 600hz refresh rate is a system known as Subfield drive. Which means the picture is broken into 10 subfields making the total picture refresh rate more comparable to a 60 hz LCD refresh rate.

This is correct. Companies like to throw out big numbers to uniformed or misinformed consumers to make sales

Slayerx
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM

This is correct. Companies like to throw out big numbers to uniformed or misinformed consumers to make sales

cotjones
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Exactly. But on the contrary, to be fair. The specification responsible for eliminating the "flicker" he mentioned is rarely mentioned on the box. It's the pixel response time.
For years Plasmas have had the edge, producing times that rival CRT's but in today's day and age the gap has closed. The pixel response times still don't usually match the plasmas, but the different technology invoked to display the picture doesn't require them to catch up to produce a better picture.

Plasmas have been far surpassed by LCD technology. Alas, not every model LCD is better than EVERY plasma. But for the same price LCD is almost always better.

(like i said, unless you only watch movies.)