PDA

View Full Version : SQ in the Northeast?

SPL Blazer
11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
It seems that only USACi is offering a Sound Quality format at their events here in the Northeast, which makes me wonder if SQ is something that NESPL should also look into offering in 2011. I don't want to take away from the SQ at USACi shows by any means, but I have had several people ask me throughout the season if we also do SQ, unfortunately we don't, except for a few shows at Boomer McLoud in NH, but they handle that part. With NESPL we already have SPL classes as well as Music classes (Slammin Bass), what do competitors think of adding SQ to our events in 2011? It probably wouldn't be something offered at every show, but a majority of them......at least for 2011. Let me know some thoughts on this.

CL1CKCLACK
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Well if people are asking for it, and it isnt too difficult to set up, why not add it?
especially if there is enough interest for other organizations to have them.

SPL Blazer
11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
I have never competed in SQ before, but have asked a few questions and watched some judging of it, so it looks easier than it really is. It won't be hard to get a meter, just a matter of buying the RTA add on for Term-Lab for $300. Learning to use the RTA meter will be a big challenge since nobody around here has it. Not everyone uses an RTA for SQ judging, but it becomes judge dependent on the sound when it's not used. Using an RTA will help keep it a level playing field for competitors, just like using a Term-Lab for judging SPL.

tangelo95
11-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I have the rta on my tl works pretty good

t-rex audio
11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
you cant just use rta. that wont tell you it sounds good

SPL Blazer
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
you cant just use rta. that wont tell you it sounds good

I know, thats a downside to SQ judging. I talked to a guy on the phone last night that used to do SQ comps. There was always an issue at each event about what a judge liked to hear, one liked more bass, another liked less, one judge liked the 5.1 surround sound, others don't, one judge liked rear fill, others don't, some judges take away points for missing a cover on your battery terminals, or not using all the same gauge wire under the hood, and this was all within the same org, Slap.

I'd like to do this, but I want to keep it even with the judging on sound, thats why I figure scoring by the RTA is a better option than just going by what I like to hear. What happens in the future if I need someone else to do the SQ judging for me and they don't like the same sound as me? Thats not going to be fair to the SQ competitor that has designed their system around what a single judge likes to hear. I was told this type thing scared away lots of SQ competitors and potential competitors. SQ and SPL alike are on the decline around here so I'd like to do whatever it takes to bring it back up.

hispls
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
True, either use RTA or it's totally based upon personal tastes of the "judge". That's probably why nobody does it. A flat line on RTA doesn't sound good period and too many people will get buthurt if it's just somoene's opinion. Best option would be having 3 judges opinions and averaging, still factors like a comfortable car, or certain brand names in prominent view may easily have an effect on how SQ it is perceived to be.

If you wanted to do it, I'd say have very few classes to actually encourage competition.

SPL Blazer
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
At the Boomer McLoud shows in Nashua they have always done their own SQ format while I run the SPL. When I asked about the SQ last year he said there were two ways of judging with an RTA, one was the flatline like you mentioned, and there was another way that I forget. The flatline sounds like crap, but the other way was closer to how people actually listen to their music, I need to call them and find out exactly how they do it so I can try this way too.

SICK GV
12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Either way good work Steve. Im glad your working around what competitors want. Maybe if everyone else hoped on board this sport wouldnt be dwindling down year after year.

SPL Blazer
12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Some orgs do ask for input on classes, some require you to submit a formal request to their board of directors, others just ask online. I think everyone makes minor changes during the off season, some only effect a few people so we never notice. Orgs don't normally like to make changes in rules if there's no real need for it.

boom24
12-14-2010, 08:22 PM
i think this will be a grate idea to get more people out to the shows ...i hopw all goes well..steve call me later on i gutta do testing in like 2 weeks

SPL Blazer
12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I've heard quite a few people last season mention that they want to compete with their daily systems, and not just pull up and burp for 30 seconds a weekend. Our Slammin Bass format gives the Bassheads this other option, so we're thinking an SQ portion can give those that have a really nice sounding and nice looking system a chance to compete too.

SPL Blazer
12-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Any current or former SQ competitors reading this thread at all? Shoot me an email to info@NewEnglandSPL.com I have a basic list I came up with for a checklist and could use some feedback on it.

Mr. Slate
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike G. from SLAP is on Facebook I think.

SPL Blazer
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Nate, hadn't thought of looking him up.

SPL Blazer
12-31-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm working with a couple former SQ competitors from the area on the checklist of things we'll be judging vehicles on. It won't be as big as the major orgs like USACi and IASCA, but should still be decent. This will be more of a way to break into the world of SQ competitions, those that like it can step up to the big leagues and hit the local USACi shows for some real SQ comps. Because we do a majority of our shows alongside car shows, there will be judging on the vehicles appearance, inside and out, along with several areas relating to the sound. We won't require competitors to burp their systems, but Amateurs and Novice class competitors will be required to do a sweep on the meter, and that will count towards the final score.

SPL Blazer
12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Mike G. from SLAP is on Facebook I think.

I sent him a message, but who knows how often he gets on there.

SPL Blazer
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Since this new format will be a mix of SQ and looks, we're thinking of calling this new format Sound N' Style. Any thoughts or better ideas for a format name?

Mr. Slate
01-10-2011, 11:44 PM
How are you gonna judge the sq portion?

SPL Blazer
01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
The Amateur and Novice classes will be easier, we'll have them do a sweep and use that score towards their total. And we'll be using the IASCA SQ disc to check for the speakers being in phase, any noise in the system, pink noise to check for clipping. We're planning to buy the RTA for TermLab and use that for the Pro classes. Haven't quite figured out how we're going to judge that part yet, but we will have it all down by the time the season starts up. I haven't used the RTA before, so I'll have to do some playing around with it when we get it.....just waiting for tax money. We'll also be judging to make sure proper fusing and gauge wire is used, amps, enclosures and such are fastened down securely. Once we have everything set I'm going see about getting a pdf file added to the website so competitors will have a checklist of what we'll judge so they can be ready.

Mr. Slate
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Sounds good.

SPL Blazer
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I want it to be more of an entry level SQ format, those that want to step it up a level and get a little more serious can hit the USACi shows. I'm hoping by having this new format we can bring new faces to competition for Both USACi and NESPL here in new England.

Mr. Slate
01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I was undefeated last year in USACi SQ, lol.

CRXBMPN
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
at local shows by me last decade (lol) they used an audiocontrol and an rta mic and did the flatline... at least that way its A - you are good and relatively flat or B - you **** and get 0's out of 0-15 score all the time like me :laugh:

as long as you can get more scientific measurements, data, and output for the competitor to see as opposed to him thinking you are stiffing him over with a bad score or whatever in person.... yeah...

street b explor
01-13-2011, 08:00 PM
lol sq hahahaha lmfao sq hahahahahah ok im cool sorry ha

Mr. Slate
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
What are you laughing at TJ, lol.

SPL Blazer
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
The RTA for TermLab shows a lot of info, I'm sure there's a way of printing the screen for competitors to see what they looked like on that meter. When we do the Boomer McLoud shows they do SQ too, they have a checklist and show it to the competitors after the show so they know where they need improvement for next time. I'll try something like this too.

Mr. Slate
01-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I think the AC RTA is better that's why "real" SQ organizations like IASCA and the former SLAP used them, but the AC is crazy expensive.

SPL Blazer
01-14-2011, 02:51 PM
I think the AC RTA is better that's why "real" SQ organizations like IASCA and the former SLAP used them, but the AC is crazy expensive.

A big reason to go with the Termlab RTA. Steve Meade has a video on his page somewhere with him using his RTA to set up his Tahoe, looks pretty sweet.

Mr. Slate
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
See, Meade isn't that bad after all, lol.

SPL Blazer
01-14-2011, 10:16 PM
lol.

street b explor
01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
What are you laughing at TJ, lol.
I know your not that old and you can read un less you lost that much weight and you stomic is eating your brain. SQ hahahahaha lol lmfao. :0)

Mr. Slate
01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
lol!

SPL Blazer
01-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Don't be hatin on SQ TJ, lots of guys are getting tired of building a burp system and want something they can actually listen to more than just 60 seconds a weekend. SQ isn't gonna be about Bass at all, but some bassheads can try it anyway, they'll just have to clean up their systems and turn down the bass.

Mr. Slate
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
TJ, really The last 3 USACi shows, I won the amature division of SQ, beat this total JL Audio car twice. You should hear "Hotel California". Jose's Beyma van is louder but my truck is a lot cleaner and I have more bass if needed. I'm not serious about competing in SQ, I'm just having fun.
I love my music but I'm still a little partial to SPL. Now I have a SQ (lol) vehicle, a SB vehicle and a SPL vehicle, lol.

SICK GV
01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I have nothing :(....tear