PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started and looking for a few suggestions

SoundMan2010
11-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Hello everyone, I just had a 1994 ford explorer passed down to me and the factory head unit is broken, I'm looking to install a new head unit in it and I frankly don't know where to start. The things that are most important to me are that it sounds as good as possible (first and foremost), that I can control my Ipod from the unit, and ease of use. Expandability is also a factor though a very small one I'll probably add aftermarket speakers a later date, possibly an amp (This is pretty far down the list, so being able to drive speakers off the head unit well is a must), but probably not a sub. I'm not looking to spend more than 150$ (not including mounting and install materials). I've done some reading around the forums and I think I've narrowed it down to a few possible options: the Pioneer DEH-3200UB, the Pioneer DEH-4200UB, and the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794. I know that these three are only a small drop in the huge pond of head units so if anyone has any feedback on these or suggestions on others it would be greatly appreciated.

06goat
11-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Ive always liked the pioneer HU's. Havent messed around with the Kenwoods... HU is mostly just a personal preference. The kenwood does have a higher preamp voltage(4volts compared to the pioneers 2 volts) which would be good for when you get an amp

SpeedEuphoria
11-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Kenwood KDC-x794 goes for $150 shipped on Ebay and is your best bang for buck

I just picked one up and its great, the USB is fast and efficient(look for better software for making playlists, can find out on crutchfield forum)

I'm impressed with mine, sounds great and has many features

SoundMan2010
11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, for the tips, I started looking at the x794 and it does look pretty nice. does anyone have any feedback on the pioneer units and how they compare with this particular Kenwood model?

SoundMan2010
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Kenwood KDC-x794 goes for $150 shipped on Ebay and is your best bang for buck

so after doing some more reading I've decided to go with the Kenwood x794 it just trumps the pioneer as far as features and usability goes. my follow up question is this, I've read that it'd probably be beneficial to just bypass the stock amp (I'm pretty sure there is one I'll have to clarify on that) due to sound quality and in order to do this I need a special wiring harness. I've done a lot of preliminary research through crutchfield and one of their reps told me that the harness they include bypasses the stock amp. what I'm wondering is if this harness will accomplish this?
Amazon.com: Metra 705510 Turbowire Harness: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WRQOO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

or do I need this one which I found on the metra website.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-5514 Radio Wiring Harness Amp Bypass System: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5514-Wiring-Harness-Bypass/dp/B000271NH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1290103937&sr=1-1)

Or do I need both.

Thanks for all the help.