PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CD7200 MKII display will not light up (second time).

grunt66
11-01-2010, 01:03 AM
I bought my CD7200 MKII from an authorized dealer and had them install the deck back in Dec of 2009. Three months later the display and none of the lights would work but the stereo worked and played music and all the buttons worked. Shipped the unit in for warranty work and they replaced a transistor and fixed the problem so I thought. While the unit was in for service, I purchased another CD7200 MKII to use while the other CD7200 MKII was getting repaired and then installing it one of my other vehicles. Long story short, on Thursday the second CD7200MK II's display went blank but the stereo still worked but no display. I call Eclipse and they tell me there is no issues with the displays on the CD7200 MKII. So I check the wiring harness and everything looks great (no bare wires, no shorts). I go back to the installer and they check the wiring and harness and everything checks good. They install the original CD7200MKII and the next day the display goes out on that one. So now I have two CD7200MKII's with bad displays. Again I go back to the installer and there lead installer spends just over an hour checking all the wires and there were no issues found.

I will be sending both decks in for warranty work. Has anybody heard of this happening to the other Eclipse head units. Any reason why this happening. My first thought was a loose ground or a short in one of the wires or harness for the stereo.

Any input would be appreciated. Now I am looking into changing head units, any recommendations?

Louisiana_CRX
11-01-2010, 01:05 AM
try to clean the contacts between the faceplate and deck...alcohol on a Q tip end will work

grunt66
11-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Tried that. Forgot to mention that when it happened, I had just started the vehicle and heard a very low pop in the speaker and on one of the decks I smelled a burning smell. The last deck same thing but without the burning smell. I always keep the faceplate attached to the head unit. When this happened back in March they replaced a shorted transistor in display circuit and replaced intermittent connector in system control circuit. I can some what understand having one unit having issues but to have two units having the same problem makes me wonder. I will be calling United Radio Inc (Repair Service) and see if they can shed some light as to what would cause this issue.

Louisiana_CRX
11-01-2010, 01:22 AM
that sounds like some sorta deck defect...when you get it fixed you may wanna sell it and switch to another brand...if you like Eclipse try to find a 7000 its a little older but I never had probs like that out of my 7000

hatedonmostly
11-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Have you tried them in a different vehicle?

grunt66
11-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Have you tried them in a different vehicle?

No, both were installed in my 2008 Tacoma. I was going to install one of the CD7200's in my wife's vehicle but she hated the display and did not want it in her vehicle.

hatedonmostly
11-01-2010, 01:29 AM
I know you checked your connections to the wiring harness, but did you check your ground for the HU? :confused:

That's why I was asking if you tried it in a different car, because two different cars wouldn't have the same ground location...

grunt66
11-01-2010, 01:34 AM
I know you checked your connections to the wiring harness, but did you check your ground for the HU? :confused:

That's why I was asking if you tried it in a different car, because two different cars wouldn't have the same ground location...

That was the first question (if there is a good ground) I asked the installer and he assured me that the ground checked good.

hatedonmostly
11-01-2010, 01:36 AM
:crap: Wish I could be of more help, but that was the only thing that came to mind for me.