PDA

View Full Version : New Box Building Tips

nosaj070
01-26-2004, 11:37 PM
I carpeted my box over the weekend and am pretty happy with it. To make this different than every other thread, i found a new glue for carpeting the boxes. I was too cheap to buy the 3m stuff and also didn't want to deal with overspray or the short set time. So i picked up some Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Glue from lowes. You just spread it on with a trough(sp.?) and then stick the carpet on, its pretty gooey stuff so theres lots of time to work with it to get it taught and look good. After about 5 hours to dry, it was dead solid, i tried my best to rip a piece off and couldn't get a corner. This was mentioned by someone else in another thread, but i just used Marine Carpet from lowes, pretty cheap, around 4 bucks a linear foot(1ftx6ft).
Pics are here, I somewhat impressed myself for my first box.

http://home.alltel.net/jinx7/1.2cubox.jpg

helotaxi
01-27-2004, 06:22 PM
I wish any of my first 3 boxes looked that nice.

nate s
02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
hey...looks pretty good....any tips about carpeting the box itself? im about to build and carpet my box soon, for that same exact sub :)

nosaj070
02-02-2004, 09:08 PM
Heh, just take your time. My box was a trapezoid though you can't really tell, so that made it a lot harder. If you are having trouble use a staple or two to hold it temporaily and you can always take them out later.

nate s
02-02-2004, 09:15 PM
alright thanks...i have a stupid question: how come i cant see any of the screws that were used to hold the sub in? it looks great without the screwheads showing... oh and btw, how big did you cut the hole for that sub? i need to get around to cutting my hole tomorrow...

nosaj070
02-02-2004, 09:18 PM
It has a rubber gasket kinda thing to go around it to make it look nice and more importantly seal it well. Yours should have come with it as well. I forget the size, its 11 something, go to www.diamondaudio.com and look in the specifictions.

nate s
02-02-2004, 09:22 PM
havent gotten mine yet :) ok...i see it's 11.102"... thanks...

svtlightning93
02-04-2004, 02:01 AM
I use a product called Wilsonart. They have different levels of bonding products 400,500, and 600. I put some on a speaker box and tried to get it off and pulled the top layer of wood trying to get it off. It comes in spray or gallon form. I think it's used mainly in construction.