PDA

View Full Version : Best Double Din Navi HU

kevlo911
10-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I will be installing a double din navi on my buddies 2010 4runner.

I will be using Metra Dash kit

First thing I want to narrow down is the headunit. Searching only lead to me to bias opinions(i still expect um, but no threads i saw compared all these and more)

So here is the list I can think of so far:

Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT
Pioneer USA - AVIC-Z120BT - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth and 7" Widescreen Display (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/GPS-Navigation-Systems/AVIC-Z120BT)

Kenwood DNX9960
Kenwood - DNX9960 (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/eXcelon/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/DNX9960)

Alpine IVA-W505P1
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/iva-w505p1/)

Clarion NX700
Clarion U.S.A. | NX700 (http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2010/multimedia/navigation/NX700/us-en-product-pf_1259394334509.html)

JVC KW-NT3HDT
JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Navigation/Multimedia Receiver - KW-NT3HDT \ Introduction (http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028632&pathId=147&page=1)

Any others? Main thing we need is XM control with the factory XM antenna, lots of presets for the XM interface. I would like it so it will be easy to update the navi maps. Def need it to sound good(I run an eclipse AVN, but since they no longer are made, no point to get one IMO)

The car has 8 speakers(2 in the hatch, 2 in the rear doors, 4 in the front: speakers/tweets)

I plan to use a 4 channel or 6channel amp on it but first I would like to get the head unit down.

So, what's the best :)

Sarthos
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
often it's easier to run an external navigation unit (like Garmin) especially if you're looking for use of other features.

I think any of them are going to need an XM adapter along with the unit too.

blazeplacid
no aftermarket radio will accept your factory XM antenna

Kenwood 9960 /thread

Rich B
Pioneer for the features, Kenwood if navigation is important.

Kenwood uses Garmin nav.

Louisiana_CRX
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
no aftermarket radio will accept your factory XM antenna

Kenwood 9960 /thread
I used the factory satellite radio antenna from my 07 F150 on an aftermarket radio...I just unhooked it from the factory satellite radio brain...snapped off the plastic piece around the antenna connector and plugged it right in...quick neat and simple....and worked just fine :fyi:

djeazie
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Kenwood.

djeazie
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I used the factory satellite radio antenna from my 07 F150 on an aftermarket radio...I just unhooked it from the factory satellite radio brain...snapped off the plastic piece around the antenna connector and plugged it right in...quick neat and simple....and worked just fine :fyi:

Did the same in my Grand Cherokee

nstillmatic
10-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd go with the Pioneer simply because they have by far.. the best user interface for double din headunits. I find that extremely important because it's basically the whole point of going double din anyway. The Z120BT is really nice.

smgreen20
10-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Clarion 1st, Pioneer 2nd. Wouldn't even consider the others on the list.

You already called, but you stated why, but first thing to enter my mind was Eclipse. I know they don't make after market anymore, but I believe they're still going to update the NAV maps, and they have the only HU I would consider an all-in-one. I just snatched the AVN6620 w/NAV disc vers 3.1

Sarthos
10-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I'd go with Eclipse too if SQ is important. They're supposed to keep updating the nav I believe. But if the kenwoods use a garmin that's as good as portable garmin units I'd go with that for NAV.

3kgtAudio
10-28-2010, 01:32 AM
I would add the new Sony XNV-660BT or 770BT to the list. Just came out this week.

The only thing i would change about it is to jazz up the menus a little more like the pioneer because they are kind of generic looking. Other than that, the GPS is fantastic, powered by Tom Tom. 4 volt pre out, time alignment and 7 band eq settings. You can also do picture in picture when using gps so you can change tracks and actually see what you are doing while using the navi. Its a WVGA screen too, so good resolution. Not sure what people are talking about it being slow, mine is just as quick as any of the pioneer or clarions we have installed.

However, that being said, if i wanted a 7", i would go with the Pioneer z120. Dual zone capabiity, great user interface, navi isn't bad, and WVGA screen. The Clarion NX700 doesn't compare, it has just normal vga resolution, they do have the 3d navi but the whole thing is kinda ugly imo. The NX500 is actually my favorite among the clarion setups. Im a big fan of Clarion, the 700 is really the only one i don't like.

ptwat
11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I would add the new Sony XNV-660BT or 770BT to the list. Just came out this week.

However, that being said, if i wanted a 7", i would go with the Pioneer z120. Dual zone capabiity, great user interface, navi isn't bad, and WVGA screen. The Clarion NX700 doesn't compare, it has just normal vga resolution, they do have the 3d navi but the whole thing is kinda ugly imo. The NX500 is actually my favorite among the clarion setups. Im a big fan of Clarion, the 700 is really the only one i don't like.

Are you saying the Sony does not have dual zone (I am asking out of ignorance)?

TrlcKed_OuT
11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
if navi is a huge concern i have a pioneer z110bt and very dislike the navi...i wish i would have got the kenwood with garman!!! other than that i like the user interface and everything with the pioneer