PDA

View Full Version : Box Design Programs/Calcs ... opinions?

nweibley
01-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Just wondering who uses programs to find out port calculations for their box, etc?

I have been toying with WinISD pro and the BCAE page here: http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm to try and get some box calculations.

I like WinISD because it gives me estimates for freq response etc, and I'm not sure where I want to tune a 12" XXX in about a 3 cuft box for good boom (the chick wants it to be LOUD) but also good low end. I'm thinking 31-32 Hz, but I'm not sure... thats another story.

I also heard somewhere that WinISD is not the best for port dimensions! Is this true?
I've seen the equations on the internet, is it best to Ti-89 the whole thing? Or is the BCAE site pretty darn good?

Ports get really complicated, and I think I'm going to be using round ports (Blow through) but agh, I can't decide on what program to use if any, because I would like to make the box only once, since it is pretty much going to be a one-time custom install, and its hard to find 1" sheets for MDF without buying bulk!

Thanks for any input, and I know people will probably have different opinions on this, I'm just trying to get a feel for what people do and do not like.

Back to searching for more box programs!
-----Nate

nweibley
01-24-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm getting the feeling that LEAP is the best there is, pretty much, but that it comes at quite the hefty price. I simply was trying to find out if it was true (I think I read somewhere) that WinISD's port calculations were usually off and would not offer very good results. Anybody want to confirm or dispell that rumor?

Also, I downloaded an info file for the 2003 RE subs, and some of the info listed in the file is different from that on the RE website. I don't know which to trust, but I am assuming you guys are going to reccomend the RE info, correct?

Thanks
-----Nate