PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother to amp my CDT HD-62EF Components?

parabola
01-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I just upgraded to a set of 6.5" CDT high def components, from a pair of pyramid 4x6" triaxials. It required making custom mounts and quite a bit of grinding down the stock grills. However, it was well worth the effort. The sound is much improved, but I am wondering if giving them an amp would be that much better. They are running off of my alpine 9813 and sound pretty good. I dont usually turn the volume up past 22 because thats just too loud for me. Will amping them give me enough improved sound at that low-mid volume to justify the cost in your opinions? They take 120rms so I was thinking about a US Acoustics USX2100 which is rated at 100rmsX2 and I believe thats at 12.9V. Also, can I run the speaker wire from the amp to the stock speaker wire behind my radio? That makes it easiest to hide the wire, but I think its only 18 gauge, possibly smaller, so I'm not sure if thats large enough for 100rms.

desi_daru
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
yes amp them, every1 will tell you that
and u could use the existing wire but I would suggest least 16guage (thas jus me)

Berry47
01-23-2004, 06:48 PM
I am running 300 watts rms to my cdt-62cf's and there was even a noticalbe difference going from 75 to 300 watts. Definatly amp them/

B0mberman
01-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Amp those ********...y else did u get a good component system? :)

slick rick
01-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Amp those ********...y else did u get a good component system? :)

is 18 gauge thick enough to run wire from the amp to the xover?

80_Cutlass_mn
01-27-2004, 01:20 AM
I would say 18 would be good enough really but alot of poeple including myself just like to use 16 guage to be on the safe side and to make sure we send the best possible signal to our precious component sets but yes I say definitely amp them. You will notice the difference let me tell ya. I ran my components off my h/u for a couple of months and they sounded really good then but when I got an amp to power them....They sounded abosolutely beautiful, no distortion whatsoever and believe it or not you will tell the difference between an amp and a h/u amp, h/u amps are some of the worst amps there is no matter what brand you get. They have so much distortion its pathetic, and you usually just dont hear it untill you amp a speaker that has been running on the h/u then you can tell a world of difference.