PDA

View Full Version : Speakers erratically make static noise?

RoachForLife
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Let me preface this by saying Im not too knowledgable in car audio department; I spent last few years on these boards lurking and got a set of 6.5 PG RSD components which have been good to me, powered by an Alpine PDX 4.100 bridged to do about 125w x 2 (roughly).

Anyhow Ive had these installed maybe 1.5 years, no issues. Just today on the way to work the right speaker will occasionally make a static noise. The sound from the speaker 95% of the time, is perfect, however it will sometimes make this noise. Im trying to narrow the ideas before I investigate this evening or this weekend.

Would a likely cause be the terminal connection to the speaker or tweeter? Grounding out? I did quickly visually inspect the crossovers and they look great. I could try swapping them so the left wires goes to the right and the right to the left. I guess that would tell me if its the HU/Crossover or if its the Speaker?

I suppose it could be the speaker too, just seems odd that it sounds great most of the time, almost like its grounding out. Again, being kinda dumb with this stuff, is there a way to test this with a multimeter perhaps? And if so, could I have a brief explanation of how or point me in the right direction.

I really appreciate it guys!