PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Consideration

Sweet'n Low
09-21-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm thinking about getting Sirius/XM installed to my Alpine CDA-9855. No real specific questions, just wondering if it would be a good idea or not, or if theres and warning or tips anyone would like to share.

I'm thinking I get some cheap new outdated equipment and just plug it up. My dad has family plan with a open line so the best part is I wouldn't have to pay for the service since my brother never took interest to when he received his XM Unit.

Getting mixed reviews just looking around google shop, want to make sure its worth the time. Any opinions are welcome.

CD Changer
iPod Adapter: Installed
XM Radio

My 2nd Big 3

Louisiana_CRX
09-21-2010, 02:39 AM
dying technology :fyi:

Sweet'n Low
09-21-2010, 02:49 AM
dying technology :fyi:

Satellite Radio?? How so?

Louisiana_CRX
09-21-2010, 02:51 AM
They are about bankrupt...the two have already merged together...they are on a lifeline that may snap at any moment....

Sweet'n Low
09-21-2010, 02:55 AM
They are about bankrupt...the two have already merged together...they are on a lifeline that may snap at any moment....

knew they merged. didn't know that was why. wow, pretty discouraging. guess this is the information i'm looking to know tho... i'll def give this some more time/thought. thanks for the insight

xoutofmyheadx
09-21-2010, 03:41 AM
it really all depends on if you drive alot. if you drive alot or take trips then yeah i'd say get it. but if you just drive normal milage then nah stick to your local stations and your ipod.

99chevy7.4L
09-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Get a headunit with an HD radio built in. Not HD ready. It is a growing thing. CD quality from FM radio. Instead of just 105.1 you might have 105.1 fm-1, 105.1fm-2 and 105.1 fm3 with all different music on each station. Here there are like 6 radio stations that broadcast HD with atleast two HD channels on each station. Just my opinion.

nateberrier
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
The music on the radio blows.

I have XM and I drive alot and I love it. if you dont have to pay for it then get it. I may have an extra tuner that needs played through an aux. dont get a universal adapter if you plan on using the 9855 cause it doesnt work (we tryed it on bryans) youll have to get one of the straight up xm boxes for around 100.

Asystole
09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I'd wait to see if howard stern leaves in december when his contract is up.

If he leaves, sat is going bankrupt. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Sweet'n Low
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
i don't drive much anymore which is what i guess i need to put in real consideration but if i can get the adapters cheap and my dad has a open line, i dont see why not. i could really appreciate hearing some new music without searching for it but this bankruptcy thing is a uneasy thought

FlexnInLa
09-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Radio around here *****. Dunno what I'd do without Sirius. I sure hope they don't go out of business!

Louisiana_CRX
09-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Radio around here *****. Dunno what I'd do without Sirius. I sure hope they don't go out of business!

I'm with you on this...it will **** if they go under

nateberrier
09-22-2010, 01:23 AM
idk if they will or not, they put it in every new car, thats how i got suckered lol. you wont be out too much in the grand scheme of things. plus its a wonderful technology. I would imagine some bail out money is in order. alex i would get a portable unit so you can listen in your dorm brah.

Sweet'n Low
09-23-2010, 12:14 AM
we'll i just listen to the internet radio in my dorm on iTunes, think its comparable (?) i would love to have that kind of access at my finger tips in my car but i'll have to measure the value yo. birthday/xmas coming up tho. who knows. i might just be looking for a reason to just keep messing with my car now that my system is done :P haha

Sweet'n Low
10-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh Snap! Check Out Sirius’ XM Snap Device (http://www.thelifefiles.com/2010/10/01/oh-snap-check-out-sirus-xm-snap-device/) looks like their still trying somewhat

Louisiana_CRX
10-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh Snap! Check Out Sirius’ XM Snap Device (http://www.thelifefiles.com/2010/10/01/oh-snap-check-out-sirus-xm-snap-device/) looks like their still trying somewhat

That looks pretty neat....

Vossy
10-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't like either tbh.