PDA

View Full Version : stock head unit or new one

leadparrot
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
i have a 2010 lancer de with stock stereo im installing 2 12inch subs and amp so should i buy a new head unit or is it ok to use the stock one

orangecounty1
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
its whatever you want to use, but an aftermarket one would sound better and give you more options

ahole-ic
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
i have a 2010 lancer de with stock stereo im installing 2 12inch subs and amp so should i buy a new head unit or is it ok to use the stock one
The head unit is the source of the sound. If it is not of high quality, how can you expect the sound to be high quality? OEM audio systems in vehicles are afterthoughts. None are great. What I'm saying is, you're adding subwoofers because you want to enjoy your music. Why keep something in the system that will reduce your enjoyment? I will never understand this at all. Just buy a nice head unit. They aren't terribly expensive and you will be glad you did.

Louisiana_CRX
09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
stock ain't good for nothing but throwing in th' river....

Qbenjamin
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
If you are adding subwoofers, then a stock stereo shouldn't be in the equation. More than likely, your bass will drown out the clarity trying to come out of the interior speakers. This certainly can be taken care of with proper settings via the h/u and amplifier, but if you are going to upgrade, do it properly. Don't be one of the idiots who think that they are "shutting down the block" with that nasty trunk rattling.

Qbenjamin
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
If you are adding subwoofers, then a stock stereo shouldn't be in the equation. More than likely, your bass will drown out the clarity trying to come out of the interior speakers. This certainly can be taken care of with proper settings via the h/u and amplifier, but if you are going to upgrade, do it properly. Don't be one of the idiots who think that they are "shutting down the block" with that nasty trunk rattling.

d77543020
09-30-2010, 02:08 AM
if you want to keep the stock hu there are lots of processors that can give you the sound you want but most of the quality ones cost more than a nice hu