PDA

View Full Version : another plexiglass question...

rocktonic13
01-22-2004, 09:57 PM
about how much is it a sheet? for what would be strong enough for a plexiglass box, so im thinking somewhere near 3/4 inch... also, what would be used that would be clear as both a glue and a sealent? where could i get everything?

lombardo
01-22-2004, 10:14 PM
3/4 is too much. Fiberglass is strong as hell. Depends on how big your flat sides are. 3-4-5 layers should be sufficient.

rocktonic13
01-22-2004, 10:17 PM
3/4 is too much. Fiberglass is strong as hell. Depends on how big your flat sides are. 3-4-5 layers should be sufficient.

maybe you misread or i misunderstood what you said, but im talking about plexiglass not fiberglass...

helotaxi
01-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I think he misread.

Look in the Yellow pages for glass or plastic distirbutors. They should be able to hook you up. It will not be cheap and an entire box made of plexi will be quite heavy. 3/4" should be thick enough provided that the individual chambers are not too big (longer than 18" along any one side).

To get an entire plexi box to look good you are going to need to polish all the edges including those that will be bonded. The cement used to bond plexi to itself actually melts the two pieces together and it should be crystal clear when it cures, provided you prep the edge (sand and polish) first.

Good luck.

mrray13
01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
i have found 3/4 plexi to run around $700 a sheet (4'x8')

yep, that's seven hundred dollars! (if someone can get it cheaper, let me know, i work for a sign company and the cheapest my employer can get it is still around $550..and only if he orders more then one!!)

also, we have found to bond plexi, acyrlic or dr..u don't really need to sand the area to be bonded. the cement used is strong enuff to "weld" the pieces together without the extra prep. also, if u are going to bond plexi to wood(yep. it can be done..kinda) or metal...look for Lord's adhesive..it's a two part glue that will bond just about anything. for the plexi and wood...we still use short screws on the backside with the Lord's.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LoneRanger
01-23-2004, 06:59 AM
1/2" is about 550 per 4'x8'......

ramos
01-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Yep plexi is some expesnive $hit. If you really want a plexi box. Check out termpro, I can't remember the guys name right off hand. But there are a bunch of posts about him. He makes killer plexi boxes and it comes out alot cheaper to have him make it, than for you to buy the plexi. :)