PDA

View Full Version : 4.7L V8 Exhaust Question

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Ok heres the deal. I want to change up my exhaust. It kinda sounds like **** right now.

Right now I am running no catalytic converter, and a borla xr-14 muffler. Its raspy as hell, but it has a nice volume.

I want to get a very nice low growl sound but with maximum volume possible. I have decided I am going to run with a flow master exhaust and a high flow cat.

My problem is which flowmaster to go with to provide the best outcome that I want.

My top 3 choices were 40 Series, Super 44 Series, and the new Super 10 Series. Well I have decided against the super 10 because I feel that it will still be too raspy.

So now its down to the 40 Series and the Super 44 Series. From videos I have seen/heard, the 40 has the best deep rumble sound that I would like to have. But I just cannot tell volume levels from a recording.

What do you think?

Buck
09-15-2010, 12:11 AM
My exhaust has the stock 2 cats and is just y-piped. I have a 4.6L. Link to my vid:

YouTube - Buck's Explorer Exhaust 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoMje1jXDM)

Louisiana_CRX
09-15-2010, 12:12 AM
i just got a Borla exhaust in for my Audi ...I loved the way mine sounded on my Tacoma

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I would suggest 3" duals. And use the 40 series.

Cruzer
09-15-2010, 12:20 AM
im stock cats y pipe. i loved it on my 5.7 camaro, perfect fit.

with my weak 4.7 i would like to get rid of the muffler for a little more loudness.

its kinda sad, most of the time i cant even hear the exhaust, luckily i didnt pay to get the exhaust done.

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
WTF most of you guys responded with non flowmaster responses when I said I was going with flowmaster. You wasted your time responding.

Louisiana_CRX
09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
i ran flows on my 96 mustang 40 series...they were rotted out within 3 years....and there isn't any salt on the roads in louisiana...to me flows are overpriced tin can junk...so i went Borla for something that will last the lifetime of a vehicle

04lariat
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
super 44's

Buck
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Mufflers are overrated :fyi:

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM
WTF most of you guys responded with non flowmaster responses when I said I was going with flowmaster. You wasted your time responding.

If you are set on flowmasters, then that will be your mistake. I even suggested the flowmaster that i think is the better sounding. Dynomax is better than flowmaster IMO. But regardless, do the biggest exhaust you can fit and afford. The bigger the pipes, the better.

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM

This. But i drive a diesel so i can get away straight piped :fyi:

Buck
09-15-2010, 01:13 PM
This. But i drive a diesel so i can get away straight piped :fyi:

I still have 2 cats. Took one off but don't want to go through the pain of taking the other 2 off.

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I still have 2 cats. Took one off but don't want to go through the pain of taking the other 2 off.

Mine is straight piped coming out about even with teh middle of my door on the passenger side. Thats it.

Louisiana_CRX
09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
If your hung up on Flowmaster run the Delta Force single chamber.....

Cruzer
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM

x2

we didnt respond with flowmaster info because we dont run it and dont suggest it.

my dad took his truck up there, put flowmaster on it. the guy at the shop was like why?

my dad said, i heard its good man! guy says it will sound way better without any muffler.

so he started it up for my dad let him listen. a week or so later my dad goes back up there asks for them to take the muffler off, and it sounded way better...

now perhaps with the 4.7 being a weak/quieter motor, maybe it needs more help on being louder, but on larger engines it deff does not need it.

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 07:41 PM
x2

we didnt respond with flowmaster info because we dont run it and dont suggest it.

my dad took his truck up there, put flowmaster on it. the guy at the shop was like why?

my dad said, i heard its good man! guy says it will sound way better without any muffler.

so he started it up for my dad let him listen. a week or so later my dad goes back up there asks for them to take the muffler off, and it sounded way better...

now perhaps with the 4.7 being a weak/quieter motor, maybe it needs more help on being louder, but on larger engines it deff does not need it.

Thanks for the more detailed response. I need a muffler because straight sounds like straight up ****. It gets loud as hell without a muffler, but it doesn't sound very good at all. This is why I want to control the sound with a muffler.

Dont get me wrong I like the Borla I have now, it just isnt loud enough with the cat on. I just want a very deep sounding exhaust that will produce a decent volume at the same time.

From the videos I have heard on youtube, Flowmaster has the best deep sounding mufflers I can find.

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
If your hung up on Flowmaster run the Delta Force single chamber.....

Too Raspy...

Buck
09-15-2010, 07:51 PM
It's really hard to get loud without being raspy. I've spent many hours in a muffler shop and have many redneck friends. Usually the louder, the more raspy it sounds.

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Do you base your audio purchases off youtube as well ?

For what you are looking at, do the biggest size pipe you can and a Dynomax race bullet, if you do duals, obviously 2 dynomax race bullets. They are cheap, they do exactly what you want, and they last.

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Do you base your audio purchases off youtube as well ?

For what you are looking at, do the biggest size pipe you can and a Dynomax race bullet, if you do duals, obviously 2 dynomax race bullets. They are cheap, they do exactly what you want, and they last.

I am becoming convinced. And they are much cheaper too!

How loud would you describe them as being though? Its hard to tell from vids

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I am becoming convinced. And they are much cheaper too!

How loud would you describe them as being though? Its hard to tell from vids

I could take you a vid but it would be ****** and not at full tilt because my truck is running on 5 out of 8 cylinders. I have had people tell me they can hear me from half a mile, ive had people tell me it sounded like a race mustang, i got a ticket from a state cop here in Va because he heard me downshifting from about 600 yards away with his windows up. My truck is a stock 302 with 250K miles, 4.10's on 33"s. Exhaust is short tube headers, through 1 stock cat to a single 3" dynomax dumping right before the back tire on the passenger side.

In short, on my truck, ive been told its loud as balls.

andy g
09-15-2010, 08:12 PM
guy at work just put on a gibson exhaust system on his dodge. sounds good when he first put it on and now it sounds wicked.
but if i were gonna go with flows i would use the 44's.

ThatChevyGuy
09-15-2010, 08:19 PM
40s for sure, GO WITH DUALS!!!!

they sound awesome on my 350 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5y5NPKARk

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I could take you a vid but it would be ****** and not at full tilt because my truck is running on 5 out of 8 cylinders. I have had people tell me they can hear me from half a mile, ive had people tell me it sounded like a race mustang, i got a ticket from a state cop here in Va because he heard me downshifting from about 600 yards away with his windows up. My truck is a stock 302 with 250K miles, 4.10's on 33"s. Exhaust is short tube headers, through 1 stock cat to a single 3" dynomax dumping right before the back tire on the passenger side.

In short, on my truck, ive been told its loud as balls.

I am really starting to change my mind about the flows. You said that they last. Elaborate on that for me a little more if you could.

ThatChevyGuy
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
magnaflows are for *******

Flowmasters are for men

Buck
09-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Flowmasters are for men

No mufflers are for real men :fyi:

andy g
09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
or you can keep the exhaust you have now and these in DMH "Low Profile" Electric Cutouts (Pair) [DMHLPEcut] - $499.95$399.95 : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance! (http://marylandspeed.com/dmh-low-profile-electric-cutouts-pair-dmhlpecut-p-1313.html)

Slo_Ride
09-15-2010, 08:38 PM
original 40s

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
I am really starting to change my mind about the flows. You said that they last. Elaborate on that for me a little more if you could.

Every flowmaster i have had or have seen has rotted out pretty quickly. This dynomax has been on my truck for 7 years i believe. Truck has been flipped, been through mud, snow, salty/sandy roads and its still in great shape.

Flowmasters are for men

No one is even talking about magnaflows idiot.

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Every flowmaster i have had or have seen has rotted out pretty quickly. This dynomax has been on my truck for 7 years i believe. Truck has been flipped, been through mud, snow, salty/sandy roads and its still in great shape.

Flowmasters are for men

No one is even talking about magnaflows idiot.

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info Johnny.

Here is my current exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlhPDz0cYo

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 09:50 PM
So I think I will for sure be going with the Dynomax

Buck
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Why don't you dual it out?

qtipextra
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Why don't you dual it out?

I dont really want to spend 400 bucks on the exhaust right now for new pipe and custom bends and the 2 mufflers and cats.

Buck
09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I dont really want to spend 400 bucks on the exhaust right now for new pipe and custom bends and the 2 mufflers and cats.

It wouldn't cost that much. Why don't you just y-pipe it? I bet it'd take some of the raspy-ness away.

qtipextra
09-16-2010, 09:49 AM
So I have another question on the Dynomax Bullet. Which length? I am going to stick with stock pipe size, so I am running 2.5" pipe. There are 2 lengths available: 12" (16.5 Overall) and 18" (23.5 Overall). Which one would be better?

Johnny Law.Lulz
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
So I have another question on the Dynomax Bullet. Which length? I am going to stick with stock pipe size, so I am running 2.5" pipe. There are 2 lengths available: 12" (16.5 Overall) and 18" (23.5 Overall). Which one would be better?

Thats going to be up to you. The shorter it is, the louder it will be. The longer it is, the deeper it will be. 6" wont make too much of a difference but the length thing works on glasspacks too where you can get an 8" or a 24" and all that. I have the 12".

qtipextra
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks, 12" it is.

Slo_Ride
09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Original flowmaster 40 series sound a lot better than the dynomax bullets. i have the flows on my chevelle and the bullets on my el camino. the dynomax doesnt sound bad at all, i just like the flowmasters better. just my two cents.

qtipextra
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Original flowmaster 40 series sound a lot better than the dynomax bullets. i have the flows on my chevelle and the bullets on my el camino. the dynomax doesnt sound bad at all, i just like the flowmasters better. just my two cents.

Yeah, I have listened to literally hundreds of clips determining what I like best. I agree the FM 40 has a great sound. But for me the Dynomax sounds the best and has the best volume, especially for the price!

Slo_Ride
09-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I have listened to literally hundreds of clips determining what I like best. I agree the FM 40 has a great sound. But for me the Dynomax sounds the best and has the best volume, especially for the price!

Definitely good for the price.

Crownvicon28s
10-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I just installed my 40 series flomasters. I love them. Exactly the sound I wanted.

pressnic38
10-27-2010, 01:49 AM
get the 40 series best sounding muffler out there.