PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used......

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Gauge pillar pods for small mids and tweets??? I notice that the angle might not be optimum, but with some work I think they could be usable. I'm thinking of putting my Focal tweets and some Tang Band 2" full range drivers in them (full range drivers for midrange duty only, I have Peerless SLS 6.5 Midbass drivers.) I have kick panels I made years ago, but I'd really like to lift my soundstage and use some L-pads on the drivers side mids and tweets to even things out. Yea or nay??

RAM_Designs
09-13-2010, 02:37 AM
How low are you wanting the 2"er to play?

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:42 AM
I have my midbass drivers crossed at around 200, but I may be getting new 3 way X overs.

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Parts Express lists the freq. response on the 2" drivers down to 160 hz.

RAM_Designs
09-13-2010, 02:46 AM
You may want to move up to a 3" driver if you plan on going that low with the midrange. A single 2" on each side just isn't going to give you enough umph in the lower vocals, and a 3" has the same cone area as a pair of 2's..not to mention the 3" will just flat out be able to play lower, better, and with less stess/distortion(generally speaking). The Vifa TG9 at madisound.com is a well-reviewed 3.5" fullrange speaker, as is the TangBand W3 bamboo cone driver.

Just a suggestion.

brian84corvette
09-13-2010, 02:47 AM
I think it would be alot more optimal than mounting them flat on the doors.

I bet it woud be possible to further modify the guage pods to angle them to your liking with minimal fiberglass work - you could also seal up the back side to create a "enclosure" for the 2" also ..

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I was thinking up doing a 3" driver. I have the 4" Tang Band bamboo drivers as my midrange drivers in the kicks right now, so I know I like the sound of those. I don't know how easy it would be to squeeze a 3" driver in one of those pillar pods though.

RAM_Designs
09-13-2010, 02:51 AM
I heard the 3"ers are even better as far as smoothness goes. Users recommend not going lower than 300-350hz with the 3"er though.

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:53 AM
Crossover points are most definitely open to change.

RAM_Designs
09-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Well I know those sls's can work up to 500hz no problem, although that might be too much lower vocal action coming from your mids. Are you running active? If so, what kind of crossover points do you have to work with?

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Not running active, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my Focal Polykev 3 way crossovers for some crossovers from Parts Express

keep_hope_alive
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
you'll run into several issues using a gauge pod - mostly due to air cavity and strength. if you reinforce the gauge pod and control the air space you could get results - but low frequency response will be strongly influenced by airspace. also note, the power handling on those speakers is very low, especially with lower crossover points.