PDA

View Full Version : mid rebuild

wampaku
09-12-2010, 06:47 PM
my brother has blown his memphis 5 1/4" mids and was wondering if anyone may know of a person that may be able to rebuild these? or where is a good place to get a good mid bass speaker. any help is great.

keep_hope_alive
09-13-2010, 01:05 AM
you probably won't get it re-coned unless you send it to Memphis and the cost will probably be more than the speaker set is worth.

you can use any 4 ohm 5-1/4" mid. you can look for one used on ebay or CL, or you can buy a new speaker et. you won't find new 5-1/4" mids being sold individually other than Parts Express or Madisound - and they won't be made for car audio.

okiedokie
09-13-2010, 01:48 AM
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=150&products_id=843

keep_hope_alive
09-13-2010, 02:24 AM
^is the back side of the cone treated to protect against moisture? will the speakers be in car doors?

PeerlessAudio
09-13-2010, 02:38 AM
you probably won't get it re-coned unless you send it to Memphis and the cost will probably be more than the speaker set is worth.

you can use any 4 ohm 5-1/4" mid. you can look for one used on ebay or CL, or you can buy a new speaker et. you won't find new 5-1/4" mids being sold individually other than Parts Express or Madisound - and they won't be made for car audio.

Parts Express and Madisound have a large amount of midbass drivers in 4 ohm models that would work. For $110 shipped from Madisound you can get 2 6.5 Peerless SLS midbass drivers. I know this guy needs 5 1/4" drivers, but just for an example. AWESOME midbass drivers, these are the best I've owned, but I don't know the budget here.

okiedokie
09-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Hey Keep_Hope_alive,
I have many raw drivers from madisound & partsexpress
without any water damage.
There are many ways to protect any speaker in your doors
1- I have taking a piece of 2inch lenth & 6 inch round plastic ring from TapPlastic.
Glued it to MDF 3/4 inch thick spacer, mounted it to the door
simple fix .
2- most raw drivers are useable in a car door that's if you know what your doing
active vs passive.

mounted it to door

keep_hope_alive
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
i mention water protection because something has to be done to keep some of these drivers from getting wet - you can't just recommend you bolt any driver to teh door and expect good results. i agree with your methods, and there are others (like the XTC foam baffles, foam weatherstripping, etc.).

buying from Parts Express and Madisound can work well if you run the T/S parameters through some software to model the door cavity. for example: some drivers will sound very poor in such a large cavity if they are optimized for small sealed enclosures.

and without knowing the available depth or vehicle, we cannot recommend drivers anyway.

okiedokie
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
yes that is true,but ive never had any trouble running raw driver in my doors.
I have played with thesse raw drivers,Diycable Anarchy **** this mid is a beast of all mids, Aurum CAntus one of the best sounding oi have had a pleasure to use,Seas just as good,Peerless & Vifa you can never go wrong, Dayton probably one of the best mid for the price, marh5 audio really nice mid if you could find them again, SB Acoustics
So i much be the lucky guy on the block???
you can tune any mid.