PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Idea struck me

z00mz00m
01-21-2004, 11:40 PM
My friend is ordering 2 e12kx.22 and I have been lookin for box designs. I'm really interested in building my very first vented box w/ this design on their site

http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxcuts/12%20rec%20vented.jpg

as you can see though, the box is only made for 1 sub. I had this idea strike me that I think would be awesome if it worked. My idea was to make it all normal like it shows on the diagram, but I take 1 sub and put it on the bottom panel downfiring.. It is wide enough on the bottom side of the box and it would fit good but my questions are

-Would it effect the tuning of the box design?
-Would the magnets be too close together and interact?
-Would the size of the enclosure have to be doubled for 2 subs or since they would be sharing the same area, would it stay at 1.5cf?

I know its not good to run 2 subs in a sealed box without the subs being sealed off from each other's air and having separate compartments, would that rule apply for ported boxes as well?

I'm really doubting this would work, because I figured if it was possible, you would see more of ideas such as this floating around.

Thanks
-Ryan

z00mz00m
01-22-2004, 04:37 PM
geeze guys, come on a simple yes or no will do.. are my questions so difficult to answer that u guys don't know the answer or are u too lazy to read what i have said?

come on and help a kid out

DirtySchemer
01-22-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm no expert on ported enclosures, but I pitty you for not getting any responses yet.... Here's what I do know.

1) Yes, the tuning of the enclosure would be different with two subs instead of one in the same air volume.
2) Unless the magnets were touching, I'd doubt they'd have any effect on each other. To be safe, I'd probably leave at least an inch of space between them.
3) There would have to be adjustments to the enclosure, however I'm not very familiar with the exact amounts. I'm guessing you'd have to double the air volume inside the enclosure and possibly the number of ports. Someone else will have to help you out with the specifics.

Just make it easy and build two boxes.

nosaj070
01-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Yes you would have to double the internal volume, You could just double that box, and then you would have it. I dont think there are very many 12" subs that can perform in .75 cuft vented.

tommyk90
01-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Yes you would have to double the internal volume, You could just double that box, and then you would have it. I dont think there are very many 12" subs that can perform in .75 cuft vented.

If only it were that easy. When you double the box size you also have to change the port size too to get the right tuning frequency. If you have the room you could try building 2 of the same boxes, or you could email ED and see if they have a design already drawn up that you could use.

nosaj070
01-22-2004, 06:57 PM
If only it were that easy. When you double the box size you also have to change the port size too to get the right tuning frequency. If you have the room you could try building 2 of the same boxes, or you could email ED and see if they have a design already drawn up that you could use.

It is that easy if you double the plans with the port and all, maybe i was unclear.

z00mz00m
01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
sweetness.. thanks for the replies guys, just kinda had to raise ma voice a bit to get a lil respect :D

I figured it wouldn't be that easy :( i thought 2 boxes would be the way to go as well but I dunno if he has 50" to put them side by side like that.

The sealed box on their site is 20" wide and the idea of making 1 sealed and 1 ported box passed my mind but i passed it off thinking there would noticably be 2 types of bass that could be distinguished.. I was correct, right?

Anyways I believe I'll email eD about gettin the dual 12" box specs, i'm sure they have one. I gotta get my friends jeep over here to do some measuring, I wanna see how I can play around with the fit of these things in his jeep.

Could I keep the plans for the single 12" ported box but have the sub on the bottom panel of the box and have it downfiring, if so how would it sound with one of dem subs in his hatchback?

tommyk90
01-22-2004, 07:13 PM
It is that easy if you double the plans with the port and all, maybe i was unclear.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right either. I don't think it works that way, not sure though.