PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglassing to Plastic??

STMel03
01-21-2004, 10:02 PM
hi... I'm new to the board... so hello to everyone... as far as fiberglassing to plastic....can it be done?... I was told it won't stick... this is my first fiberglassing project... and I'm kind of stuck... I'm trying to integrate a sub enclosure into one of the back plastic pieces of a console... I tried to make a mod and duplicate the piece with fiberglass....but the shape has a lot of curves....and just isn't working... So I was wondering if there is a way to somehow get the fiberglass to stick to it(being the plastic)... The whole thing will be painted in the end...Any suggestions will be helpful...

Thanks in advance...
steve

LoneRanger
01-22-2004, 08:24 AM
sand the hell out of it.

fiberglass doesn't like to stick to anything smooth and shiney. if you can possibly rough it up a bit, it will aid in the adhesion of the fiberglass to the plastic.

ramos
01-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Yep scuff the he!! out of it. Give it a good rough gouged up surface. otherwise you will be able to peel the f-glass right back off of the plastic. Also depending upon how big the plastic piece your attaching it to. I have had good success drilling alot of small holes in the plastic you plan on covering. It gives the glass a good foot hold on the plastic. :)