View Full Version : Fiberglassing to Plastic??

01-21-2004, 11:02 PM
hi... I'm new to the board... so hello to everyone... as far as fiberglassing to plastic....can it be done?... I was told it won't stick... this is my first fiberglassing project... and I'm kind of stuck... I'm trying to integrate a sub enclosure into one of the back plastic pieces of a console... I tried to make a mod and duplicate the piece with fiberglass....but the shape has a lot of curves....and just isn't working... So I was wondering if there is a way to somehow get the fiberglass to stick to it(being the plastic)... The whole thing will be painted in the end...Any suggestions will be helpful...

Thanks in advance...

01-22-2004, 09:24 AM
sand the hell out of it.

fiberglass doesn't like to stick to anything smooth and shiney. if you can possibly rough it up a bit, it will aid in the adhesion of the fiberglass to the plastic.

01-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Yep scuff the he!! out of it. Give it a good rough gouged up surface. otherwise you will be able to peel the f-glass right back off of the plastic. Also depending upon how big the plastic piece your attaching it to. I have had good success drilling alot of small holes in the plastic you plan on covering. It gives the glass a good foot hold on the plastic. :)