PDA

View Full Version : sealed box for 2 Fusion FEW-12s..

allyourblood
01-21-2004, 10:57 PM
welp, i just bought these from zane (thanks!), and while i'm waiting for them to arrive, i'd better get started building a box.

Fusion's spec sheet says 1.11 cu. ft. for one FEW-12, so can i just double that number for 2 of them? also, i'm not even remotely competent at math, but can the box be whatever shape i want, as long as it is 1.11 cu. ft. (or 2.22 or whatever)?

also, when you build a sealed box, do you just basically screw the thing together and then seal the seams with silicone? seems like there'd be more to it than that.

thanks for any replies, gang!

abe m.

ss3079
01-21-2004, 11:03 PM
While you're talking to zane, ask him what box he recommends. No one better than him to give you a recommendation.

Oh, and about the box construction ... glue the joints together with a good carpenters glue or liquid nails. Pre drill your holes and countersink. Screw it together, or use clamps if you have them available. Can seal the inside joints with silicone, or 'paint' some fiberglass resin in there to seal it up.

- Steve

allyourblood
01-22-2004, 12:33 AM
thanks steve! i was kinda mystifyed by the whole thing.

and i asked zane about it, we'll see what he says. however, he was using the FEW-12s in a custom rear dash-kinda thing....

you guys are great here. very willing to help. hopefully i come away from this new installment with some knowledge i can pass on to other newbs sometime.

abe m.

allyourblood
01-22-2004, 06:58 PM
so long as the internal volume of the box (in this case 1.11 cu. ft. as mentioned above) is sized according to the recommended specs, can it be any shape i want?

let me expand: if the box's volume amounts to 1.11 cu. ft., can it be as narrow or as wide as i like, or will all of this affect the resonance, and so on?

also, i spied on another thread that when housing 2 subs in a sealed box, each sub must occupy it's own sealed space, meaning i'd have to add a sealed partition of sorts between the two drivers. is there any truth to this? if so, can i just build the box as if (hypothetically) i had two separate sealed boxes stuck together, or do i need to increase the volume of the entire box?

upon closer inspection of my previous paragraph, i realise it's a bit confusing. sorry to speak so jaggedly, but i'm not familiar will all of the proper terms, so i keep struggling to type what i'm thinking. dang it.

to sum it all up: i want to build a sealed enclosure sized appropriately to fit 2 FEW-12s. that's all. i just need a bigger push as to how to fit it.

abe "trying not to let the frustration consume my soul" m.

MXJMR
01-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah basically all ur doing is making two enclosures. It is strongly recomended that each driver have its own airspace. I dont think it really matters what shape they are either.

Me and some other guys built a custom enclosure with 4 of the 12's ur talking about, we built it ina cobra i have a few pics if ud like to see them.

allyourblood
01-22-2004, 08:24 PM
i would absolutely like to see them, MXJMR! thanks! i'm already pretty sold on the sound of them, but what's your take? also, what kinda power were you guys throwing at those subs?

abe m.

MXJMR
01-22-2004, 08:38 PM
In the pics there will be 2 amps, 1. FJL1211d- Fusion JL Seriies 2500w Mono(for the subs) 2. FJL4011-Fusion JL Series A-B Class 4 Channel 1500w(that was for the mids highs and components). Thats awesome that u have some Fusion stuff. Its pretty underground so far, but its movin on up. I worked at a shop and we had alot of focus on Fusions line of car audio and such. Now that i get to looking he has four f12's not few12's. U have the encounters w/ the lime green cone am i correct? The f12 is slightly higher in the "chain" only 100w more... well i will post the pics shortly.

allyourblood
01-22-2004, 09:10 PM
yep, the encounters. i suppose i could've gone with a higher wattage sub, but i'm not looking to heard down the block. i just want to be loud within the car, and sound good doing it!

abe m.

MXJMR
01-22-2004, 09:16 PM
All that matters.

MXJMR
01-22-2004, 09:21 PM
There they are

MXJMR
01-22-2004, 09:23 PM
I dont know why they didnt post. :confused:

allyourblood
01-23-2004, 05:19 PM
feel free to e-mail them to me, or throw a link my way, MXJMR. thanks!

abe m. (steril "at" cox "dot" net)