PDA

View Full Version : making custom comps off partsexpress...

Rick_Roll
09-02-2010, 06:12 PM
any1 else think of doing this? i know some of you guys have already done it and id love some info/help on making this happen...i dont watnt o run active so ill need a good crossover...now where do i start? besides a tweet and 6.5....

dumple
09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
if you have to ask your prolly shouldn't..... just saying

Rick_Roll
09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

just asking for some input...im not a newb just never put much thought into doing it

FlexnInLa
09-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Typical ****ing answer.

dumple
09-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical ****ing answer.

shush you I'm going to help him in pms

FlexnInLa
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I've looked at Selenium mids and Morel tweeters as an option...

hatedonmostly
09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
i have some mbq biamp xovers fs...

FlexnInLa
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
shush you I'm going to help him in pms

Hell help me in PM's too.

dumple
09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
i have some mbq biamp xovers fs...

do you have the specs for them ??

nateberrier
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike is a newb. Hes all "How do I crossed over?" on facebook

stangman67
09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
I just put together a very budget set of components for my focus- Total 65 bucks.

Peerless SDS mids- 10 bucks a pop
Dayton 3/4 inch silk domes- 7 bucks each
Robot underground x-overs from ebay

Initial tests are looking promising off of 100rms/side

hatedonmostly
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
do you have the specs for them ??

MB Quart PSD216 Component Speakers - Car Speakers at Onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_12141_MB_Quart_PSD216.aspx)

smgreen20
09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Don't do the Seleniums, I figured at $20 each I could gamble, I lost!

I don't like them one bit, for $29 each you can get some Silver Flutes off of Madisound.com That was the best $60 I have spent.

There's a metric *** ton of things to look at when designing a crossover for speakers. It's not all just caps n' coils.

Rick_Roll
09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm well i like my mids so i think im just going to try a new set of tweeters off the crossover i already have

keep_hope_alive
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
start by defining the speaker environment. where will the midrange go? off axis? free air? use the enclosure and aiming to help choose a speaker that can perform well in that environment. some speakers need sealed airspace, some need to be on-axis... etc.

same with tweeters - aiming?

next, build your own crossovers that incorporate the aspects of the speaker installation. speaker aiming is huge for determining crossover points, as is actual location and distance from each other. the crossovers also need to take each driver's response into consideration.

use software to experiment with speaker pairs and crossover designs before you buy, so you only buy once. don't use random crossovers with these drivers, you won't get shiet for performance with improper crossover points and slopes.

when you buy a component set, the design and testing is done for you. hundreds of hours of testing, computer modeling, etc. that a DIY set doesn't have.

DIY comp sets with drivers from Parts Express or Madisound can be nice - provided you take the above into consideration and place drivers in the enclosure they require with crossovers that suit their electrical, mechanical, and sonic characteristics.

keep_hope_alive
09-04-2010, 05:30 PM
look at frequency response plots. make sure you are operating the driver in a range without excessive cone break-up or wild response. some drivers do better off-axis than others. Madisound offers response curves at 0deg, 30deg, and 60deg off-axis to help you with that determination.

tweeters don't like to be played too low. the crossover point is largely influenced by the slope. i like 18dB/oct or 24db/oct on my tweeters so i have more control over their range. if you use some random ebay crossovers, know the frequency point and slope. also note that as speaker impedance changes, so does the crossover point. Parts Express has tables to help you choose values for crossovers, and there are online calculators to help you determine values.

you'll have to assemble the crossovers yourself, using some perf-board and a soldering iron and zip ties (to hold everything in place). some insulated terminal strips can offer easy speaker connection, and you can put everything in a project box to keep it safe.

O.G. D-Wet
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
holy **** this is a bit more complicated then i thought lol. I was hoping to learn something by reading this thread... but now I feel dumber :crap:

misfit138
09-04-2010, 07:00 PM
holy **** this is a bit more complicated then i thought lol. I was hoping to learn something by reading this thread... but now I feel dumber :crap:

Don't feel bad, man. I've been doing this **** for 15 years or so and still don't mess with this type of thing.

Rick_Roll
09-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Don't feel bad, man. I've been doing this **** for 15 years or so and still don't mess with this type of thing.

same here but im trying to branch out...honestly i just want louder highs...like its just not loud enough...dont know if i should throw a pair of kicks in OR just add some bullet tweeters? id rather throw the tweeters in there...

brian84corvette
09-06-2010, 12:41 AM
same here but im trying to branch out...honestly i just want louder highs...LIKE ITS JUST NOT LOUD ENOUGH...dont know if i should throw a pair of kicks in OR just add some bullet tweeters? id rather throw the tweeters in there...

haha man - they used to be loud enough - but we are all going deaf on this site.
to any person who is not in to car audio and is happy just driving around with a stock system in their veichle - any good system of any member here would seem like it was piercing their ear drums out - on the verge of being un comftorbly throw up loud - even mild systems. lol
I know I cant hear **** anymore - and yet im always looking to get louder lol
what ?

smgreen20
09-06-2010, 01:28 AM
I've damaged my hearing, I have that ringing in my ears (what ever that's called) and am in pursuit of a 95% pure SQ system, the other 5%, hay!!!! I want to get loud a time or two still, but it's not worth it any more.

Another thing to look at w/speakers, find a mod that can play higher up in the freq response range, ~5KHz, and xover higher then you normally would at ~4K/5K Hz and for the tweets, don't play them so low. Believe it or not, 9/10 times you'll get a better sound stage. A lot of the SQ winning cars are running that way.

I don't want to say who told me that as a lot of people give him ***** for who he is in the speaker industry.