PDA

View Full Version : Need very sensitive (efficient) 6.5" comp set

FJF
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi, folks. I haven't been around for a while and could use a couple of pointers. The system in my sig is out of the car. After living with it for 2 years, I decided the weight wasn't worth it. The car is an Evo IX. It's so loud when it's on the move that it effectively masks any attempt at decent sound quality. Right now I'm running an Alpine 102, a Zapco Ref200, and the stock speakers up front (very sensitive and kind of fun to listen to). I need a set of 6.5" comps that will play loud as hell with this amp to overcome the noise of the car, itself. There's no sub and no desire for extension below ~80Hz. The car produces so much low-frequency energy on its own that it cancels out most everything below that point.

So, you see my problem. I'm looking at lower end DLS and Rainbow, as well as Boston's S-series that was supposedly designed to be driven by deck power. I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

whitedragon551
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Go with some Pro audio drivers.

FJF
08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to run an active system again. Simplicity and sensitivity are key.

mykeys
08-31-2010, 07:04 PM
You can still use a pro audio driver and look around for a tweeter set that you like and either call up madisound and have some made or find one of the several brands of passive unit sold @ woofersetc that are set up around what the tweeters need. This is pretty easy as long as you know what you want out of your tweets harsh, accurate, loud etc.

Mike

RAM_Designs
08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
budget? Here's something for around $100 that will get loud. If you have a bigger budget you can step up to some nice B&C mids or something like that.

crossovers: Dayton XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Crossover 3,500 Hz | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-146)
mids: Dayton PA165-8 6" PA Driver | Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-015)
tweets: https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8799

I've been using the previous version of those tweeters for nearly 3 years and I have to attenuate them 3-4db to have them mesh well with my ID OEM's.

FJF
09-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have experience with the comp sets I mentioned? Any other camp sets you can recommend that play loud with little power?

ramos
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I have a pair of the rainbow slc's in my shitbox ( convertable tracker) powered by an older sony es amp that's 50w a channel. They seem pretty efficient as they have no trouble overcoming road and wind noise. :)

FJF
09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks a lot, Ramos.

whitedragon551
09-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Diamond Audio D661A or Diamond Audio Hex comps

I had the tweeter on HU power alone and it was very loud and detailed. Almost harsh.

ramos
09-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Of course ultimate efficiency would be to throw some horns under the dash :)

keep_hope_alive
09-02-2010, 09:01 AM
JBL and Hertz both makes some very efficient speaker sets - up around 94dB sensitivity.

http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=P660C&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1

FJF
09-02-2010, 10:38 AM
JBL and Hertz both makes some very efficient speaker sets - up around 94dB sensitivity.

JBL (http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=P660C&accT=1&tsT=0&ovT=1)

That link is an interesting example - 94dB @ 2.83V into a 2 Ohm load. This means that the speakers are 91dB relative to a 4 Ohm load, and 88dB at 1w @ 1m. Compare Rainbow's spec, for example, at 90dB @ 1m. This isn't to say that sensitivity specs are always accurate, which is why I'm asking folks for personal experiences.

FJF
09-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Of course ultimate efficiency would be to throw some horns under the dash :)

In a different car, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the concept. <grin>

I remember years ago, a buddy threw a pair of Jensen 6x9s into the rear deck of his ancient Corolla powered by a 25wpc Jensen amp. The system was so loud it was hard to turn it up further. I don't mean that it was SPL-loud, but definitely music listening loud. The midbass was pretty decent, too. That's kind of what I'm looking for here.

RAM_Designs
09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
That link is an interesting example - 94dB @ 2.83V into a 2 Ohm load. This means that the speakers are 91dB relative to a 4 Ohm load, and 88dB at 1w @ 1m. Compare Rainbow's spec, for example, at 90dB @ 1m. This isn't to say that sensitivity specs are always accurate, which is why I'm asking folks for personal experiences.

And the 3db rule is not always accurate either.

BigSix
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi, folks. I haven't been around for a while and could use a couple of pointers. The system in my sig is out of the car. After living with it for 2 years, I decided the weight wasn't worth it. The car is an Evo IX. It's so loud when it's on the move that it effectively masks any attempt at decent sound quality. Right now I'm running an Alpine 102, a Zapco Ref200, and the stock speakers up front (very sensitive and kind of fun to listen to). I need a set of 6.5" comps that will play loud as hell with this amp to overcome the noise of the car, itself. There's no sub and no desire for extension below ~80Hz. The car produces so much low-frequency energy on its own that it cancels out most everything below that point.

So, you see my problem. I'm looking at lower end DLS and Rainbow, as well as Boston's S-series that was supposedly designed to be driven by deck power. I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

im my caddy i run pioneer prs720 comps and they are rated low however they sounded awesome just off of my pioneer head unit....even when i amped the noticed only a little difference as i think they are rated from 30-50 watts...but man they sounded phenomenal either way.......

FJF
09-02-2010, 12:56 PM
And the 3db rule is not always accurate either.

Of course, like no amplifier is a perfect voltage source.

FJF
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Talk Audio - Speakers - Component (http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_jreviews&task=listcategory&section=10&cat=52&dir=3&Itemid=54)

Guys, take a look at the reviews on this UK site. Not only do they give a general impression of what the speakers sound like - a major plus over their colonial counterparts - but they test for sensitivity. More accurately, it's a somewhat crude combination of sensitivity and compression, but it does lead to a functionally relevant result. It's interesting to note the manufacturer's sensitivity claims and the aural results.

FJF
09-04-2010, 04:36 AM
I've been reading DLS reviews and the C6A seems to be particularly sensitive. Does anyone have any experience with them or any DLS lower-end speaker? Maybe I should start a more topic-specific thread.

If you guys get a chance, please have a look at my other thread (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/enclosure-design-construction-help/487988-scaling-horn.html). I could really use a hand with scaling an enclosure. Thanks!

keep_hope_alive
09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Talk Audio - Speakers - Component (http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php?option=com_jreviews&task=listcategory&section=10&cat=52&dir=3&Itemid=54)

Guys, take a look at the reviews on this UK site. Not only do they give a general impression of what the speakers sound like - a major plus over their colonial counterparts - but they test for sensitivity. More accurately, it's a somewhat crude combination of sensitivity and compression, but it does lead to a functionally relevant result. It's interesting to note the manufacturer's sensitivity claims and the aural results.

not surprising they gave the HAT speakers a 9.6 but they gave bullet tweeters a 9.0, which had an 8.0 for sound quality while being reviewed as not musical... so... ratings are relative.

listen to speakers before you buy. every one sounds different.

RAM_Designs
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
^^^And they gave the RF Power set a 9.2 :crap:

FJF
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
<sigh> Yes, the rating are relative and largely irrelevant, but that's not the point at least as it fits into the thread. It's the sensitivity aspect that's paramount, and an impression of something outside of manufacturers' specs. As I'm looking for sensitivity and no one has been able to fully address the issue as it relates to my choices, it's the best we've got. Unfortunately.

listen to speakers before you buy. every one sounds different.

...thanks for that. 30+ years of audio and such a revelation.

Does anyone have personal experience with the DLS speakers I mentioned? Where is JB, ciaonzo and the rest of the gang?

me2
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
JBL660C are 94 dB. Infinities are pretty efficient... 693.9s are 96 dB.