PDA

View Full Version : anyone on the forum do navi unit repair on pioneers? (pico fuse blown)

HvNd4Speed
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
ugh...where to begin....my dream system has turned into a nightmare :rage:

the unit is a Pioneer X910BT

i'll get to the point...is there anyone on the forum that does repair work on pioneer navigation units....im 99% sure my **** pico fuse is blown, the unit was brand new and been in my truck for 4 weeks, my installer was hot swapping RCA's troubleshooting my kicker 600.4 (part of my nightmare :furious:) and wasn't aware of that issue. I need someone local to So Cal that can do it or if you can recommend a shop, please let me know!!

Thanks in advance!

HvNd4Speed
08-28-2010, 11:58 PM
no one knows anyone that can repair this?

dragnix
09-01-2010, 01:27 AM
just ground your RCAs, there's a guide on here somewhere

Supergumby5000
09-01-2010, 01:34 AM
you can either pay someone a retarded amount of money to fix it, or you can spend approximately 5.27 minutes grounding the RCA's.

dragnix
09-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I think he's down for the former

HvNd4Speed
09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
im down to fix it myself and take the unit apart, i do motherboard repairs and solder on DC jacks on laptops all day long....however....this pico fuse is tiny as hell and i dont think i have the tools to fix it.

And the bigger problem with grounding RCA's, if you are familiar with this unit, the RCA's are on a harness, not built into the back of unit

erdly
09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
im down to fix it myself and take the unit apart, i do motherboard repairs and solder on DC jacks on laptops all day long....however....this pico fuse is tiny as hell and i dont think i have the tools to fix it.

And the bigger problem with grounding RCA's, if you are familiar with this unit, the RCA's are on a harness, not built into the back of unit

What was your problem that prompted this question? I just had a major prob w/ my Pioneer Navi HU - one day when I started it up I had HORRIBLE loud engine noise coming thru the mids/highs and the loudest oscillating thumping coming thru my subs. Hooked up iPod direct to amps - no problems, tried replacing RCAs but didn't work. My last idea is the preamps are fried. How this happened to all three at the same time is beyond me... Any luck w/ finding anyone to repair?

Joebobclark
09-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Actually, with the harness style rca's the "ground your rca's" fix is very easy to do.... You can splice into the ground side of the rca up near the radio plug ad run it to ground/chassis of the radio....

erdly
09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Actually, with the harness style rca's the "ground your rca's" fix is very easy to do.... You can splice into the ground side of the rca up near the radio plug ad run it to ground/chassis of the radio....

Hmm, sounds good, but what do you mean by "the ground side of the rca?" Never done this before and don't want to screw it up... the only wires besides the rca on my harness are a Audio Mute and a amp lead...

Joebobclark
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Right before the radio side plug, the grey cable ends and the rca's split into 2 wires and enter the plug. Im not positive what colors they will be, but it should be some color (red, pink, white) and a black for each one. You'd have to strip back some insulation on each black wire and solder on a wire to ground to the cars ground or radio chassis ground. I'll try to get a picture up later.....

Joebobclark
09-04-2010, 11:20 AM
And you only need to do this for the audio outs (front, rear, sub) NOT the audio ins or the video ins/outs....

HvNd4Speed
09-04-2010, 11:44 AM
erdly....you described my problem exactly. From what I have found about this line of pioneer navi units, horrible design flaw. the cause of it is hot swapping RCA's into the amps while the head unit is on, however, you saying you just started your car and the noise was there one day is odd. Not sure what may have caused that.

I have an appointment later this morning to take my truck into the shop to get the navi unit pulled so I can either attempt to service it myself or see if Pioneer will cover it under warranty. They really should have made this a customer replaceable fuse installed into the back of the unit as it is such a common problem. I dont think it would have cost pioneer that much to incorporate a 1amp fuse and holder into the unit. What a pain in the A$$!

As far as repair, I've seen some people just jumper the fuse connection and bypass it all together. no one has complained of problems but it could potentially start a fire and or melt your RCA's. Any electrical repair shop (one familiar with the repair of navi units) should be able to perform this work but I've called around here in So Cal and avg. cost hovers around the $100 mark.

I had my system installed at the end of June, its been plagued with issues from amp problems and now this head unit, havent been able to enjoy music in so long! *****! but I think i am close :-)

erdly
09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks for the advice and any picts you have a chance to post would be awesome

erdly
09-04-2010, 11:57 AM
erdly....you described my problem exactly. From what I have found about this line of pioneer navi units, horrible design flaw. the cause of it is hot swapping RCA's into the amps while the head unit is on, however, you saying you just started your car and the noise was there one day is odd. Not sure what may have caused that.

I have an appointment later this morning to take my truck into the shop to get the navi unit pulled so I can either attempt to service it myself or see if Pioneer will cover it under warranty. They really should have made this a customer replaceable fuse installed into the back of the unit as it is such a common problem. I dont think it would have cost pioneer that much to incorporate a 1amp fuse and holder into the unit. What a pain in the A$$!

As far as repair, I've seen some people just jumper the fuse connection and bypass it all together. no one has complained of problems but it could potentially start a fire and or melt your RCA's. Any electrical repair shop (one familiar with the repair of navi units) should be able to perform this work but I've called around here in So Cal and avg. cost hovers around the $100 mark.

I had my system installed at the end of June, its been plagued with issues from amp problems and now this head unit, havent been able to enjoy music in so long! *****! but I think i am close :-)

Well, at least I'm not alone... I've got some more work to do following Jobobclark's advice. I'll keep you posted on any progress. No music ***** ***! Guess I can plug my iPod direct to the mids amp... LOL

erdly
09-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks Joebobclark! I did the grounding tonight and that was the problem. Holy balls, what a pain in the ***. The custom shop that installed the HU (T&A in Florida) told me to contact Pioneer and that it's under warranty, but I'll have to send it in. Probably will go that route eventually, but at least I'm up & running. Should have soldered the grounds though... was too impatient to see if it worked. Really wish I knew a good custom shop in Michigan. The only one around wanted $200 just to look at it...

HvNd4Speed
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
erdly...awesome that you fixed it! I had my install shop pull it last saturday and I just shipped it into Pioneer on Friday, they should be getting it today at some point. We'll see what happens in the next week, Pioneer estimates about a 4 week turnaround which ***** but i've learned you have to be patient in life

did the grounding you did eliminate all of the noise 100% or just most of it?

erdly
09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Fixed 100%! I still think I'd like to have Pioneer fix the HU properly. Keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Anyone know if the new Pioneers have this problem fixed finally? :mad:

HvNd4Speed
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
ok...so i sent off the unit on 9-10 and got it back within 2 weeks, AWESOME turnaround time and it was fully repaired under warranty and it was the pico fuse that was in fact blown

got it installed yesterday and now i have a definite alternator whine but not from the head unit. It's very low volume whine and hardly can hear it when playing music around the 30 mark on this head unit

so now i gotta figure out where the noise is coming from......i think after the headache ive had with this system....this is the last one for me and im outta the game!

Louisiana_CRX
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
buy a Kenwood...there problem fixed :fyi:

bigaudiofanatic
10-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Very simple fix. Step one throw pioneer head unit in trash. Step two go buy alpine head unit. Done.

bigaudiofanatic
10-04-2010, 01:46 AM
buy a Kenwood...there problem fixed :fyi:

Or this

d77543020
10-07-2010, 01:17 AM
this is how you do it Car Audio Classifieds (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39198)