PDA

View Full Version : Looking at components

parrot5254
08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
So I've been researching speakers for a while now and have a couple questions on some sets that are pretty popular the cadence CWM-6 and Pheonix gold rsd65cs. how do these compare to say an apline type-s, polk dxi6500, or kenwood KFC-P709PS? These components I have actually been able to hear. Also how do they compare to sets in the $125-150 range like the boston s60, jl tr650csi or the kicker RS65.2 or infinity kappa perfects. I only mention the last two because I can get them for a price in the range. Any other suggestions are highly appreciated. The amp I'll be using will be either a kicker zx350.4 or zx650.4 depending on the speakers I choose.

UMWDawg92
08-20-2010, 01:12 AM
the PG RSDs are great for the money, awesome midbass and the tweeters are detailed, a little bright, but not harsh. Overall they are very nice

parrot5254
08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Is there any other component sets you've heard that you can compare them too. I've seen a bunch of good reviews and they pretty much all say they are good for the money but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be happy with there or if spending the extra $70 is going to get me that much better sound.

keep_hope_alive
08-20-2010, 07:39 PM
buy what you can hear first and that you like.

oxsign
08-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Crescendo is having a sale right now on their comps for $80.

jab4au
08-21-2010, 12:30 AM

I checked on the Crescendo website and it still has them for $99. Is there a trick or something that I need to do to get the $80 price? Thanks!

nissanrider06
08-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Im interested in the ccx vs the rsd in midbass and overall sound I just ordered some RSD's and they sent me the wrong ones, so im sending them back, but they said If I wanted a refumd they would do it.

lovephil
08-22-2010, 05:32 PM

ca anyone actually used this speakers tell us about your experience please and how do you get that price?

Bass911
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Try the Crescendo. I wouldn't recommend the Rsd. The Jl Tr's are not that great.

Deeper_shades
08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
stay the **** away from the kappa's, unless you like your music to sound like its playing out of a tin can....

nissanrider06
08-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I've heard nothing but good reviews of the rsd's but how do the crescendo and ccx's compare????????

Bass911
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM
There plenty bad reviews on the Rsd about blown tweeters and them sounding a little harsh at high levels. I ran 2 sets of the Rsd for a front stage. Don't believe every review you read. Some reviews say that Sony Xplod subs hit hard, but they don't. If you've heard Boston Pros and Focal VR, you wouldn't like the Rsd's. If you've never heard the good stuff, the Rsd's will be fine. I'd take Crescendo, Cadence, and RE6.5comp over the Rsd's.

papermaker
08-22-2010, 10:56 PM
IMO the budget CDT dls arc and image dynamics sets are top notch

emilimo701
09-01-2010, 11:48 PM
stay the **** away from the kappa's, unless you like your music to sound like its playing out of a tin can....

i've listened to infinity speakers a bunch of time and they lost every side by side comparison IMO. my buddy had kappas, it was a while ago i was in his car so i can't say much but i don't remember being overwhelmed either

dragnix
09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
There plenty bad reviews on the Rsd about blown tweeters and them sounding a little harsh at high levels. I ran 2 sets of the Rsd for a front stage. Don't believe every review you read. Some reviews say that Sony Xplod subs hit hard, but they don't. If you've heard Boston Pros and Focal VR, you wouldn't like the Rsd's. If you've never heard the good stuff, the Rsd's will be fine. I'd take Crescendo, Cadence, and RE6.5comp over the Rsd's.

this is generally because the users tend to send 200watts to the component sets. This is mostly due to the fact that the mids can take the power, just not the tweets

keep_hope_alive
09-02-2010, 12:19 AM
this is generally because the users tend to send 200watts to the component sets. This is mostly due to the fact that the mids can take the power, just not the tweets

unlikely that people generally have 200W RMS to give to speakers - that is a rare occasion and in very short duration. they may have amps with 200W in print somewhere but we know they aren't going to see that power.

improper gain settings, excessive eq boosts, and high volume with audible distortion (i.e. high power clipping) usually results in blown speakers/tweeters. the loudest parts of the recording aren't always bass notes.

but in general, i agree that "overpowering" cheap tweeters is common. i just disagree with your common power output choice. semantics. :)