PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Stock

g2k556
08-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, when it comes to car audio, I'm pretty much a noob. I have enough electronics know how to install stuff, but when it comes to choosing which speakers, I'm clueless.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something better than stock. I'm looking to only spend between $100 and $150. I don't know if it's ok to just get fronts and leave stock in the back or replace all 4.

I have a 2001 Mercury Cougar with this head unit: Sony MEX-BT3800U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT3800U/Sony-MEX-BT3800U.html?tp=5684)

I plan to just run the speakers off of this head unit. I may add a sub later on, but I will wait till after I get speakers and see how I feel.

So any suggestions or places to point me in for further research would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

keep_hope_alive
08-20-2010, 06:59 PM
without auditioning speakers, you're just rolling the dice. each set sounds different, quite different. what speaker brands can you audition (within 1 hr drive)?

upgrading the fronts only is fine, and recommended with your budget. spend whatever you can on front speakers. Crutchfield will include the mounting adapters for your front locations.

Get a component set if you can avoid coaxial speakers. the component set requires extra effort wiring and locating tweeters, but it's totally worth it.

g2k556
08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
well best buy is about the only place, but i may have others, just have to do a search or two to find out. and as far as doing the component set up, how would i do the tweeters? If i'm thinking right, the woofer would go where the speakers are now, but how would i mount the tweeter?