PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood kdc-x994

donaldkbart
08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I've read alot of issues about a "reading" error with this unit. I really like the features though. Does anyone know if the issues have been resolved or should I try it and hope for the best?

DonH
08-18-2010, 02:25 AM
no reading error for me ever..... 4 months strong

CL1CKCLACK
08-18-2010, 02:44 AM
i personally liked the models previous to the 994. i run the 25th xxv01d and used to have the kdc 993

KMS
08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
I have the x693 and It's ok. I just don't like the glare!

Immociide
08-18-2010, 05:05 AM
I have the little bro to this unit... From my research besides the actual screen display and blue tooth they are essentially the same unit. Anyways a problem i have had with my unit is that some of the new folders ive put on my mp3 player will not open. They will show but i cannot open the folders. Also there is a problem of the unit not recognizing when there is a usb drive attached all the time. Not to mention it is slow.... But i have the 794 so maybe the 994 has a faster processor or something that helps with these problems. Hope ive at least gave you a lil more to think about and/or research.

donaldkbart
08-18-2010, 06:28 AM
I have the little bro to this unit... From my research besides the actual screen display and blue tooth they are essentially the same unit. Anyways a problem i have had with my unit is that some of the new folders ive put on my mp3 player will not open. They will show but i cannot open the folders. Also there is a problem of the unit not recognizing when there is a usb drive attached all the time. Not to mention it is slow.... But i have the 794 so maybe the 994 has a faster processor or something that helps with these problems. Hope ive at least gave you a lil more to think about and/or research.

Thanks for the info, does anyone recommend a different unit then. Time wise I can't keep pulling the head units out and swapping them if I have a problem

papermaker
08-19-2010, 11:08 PM
i have a 991 and its one of the best decks ive ever owned/heard.. as for the newer decks there not up to par with the x991 but their very nice for the money..
mines slow at times but thats because its the size of my harddrive(500g) or the fact my usb is slow and loaded to the max..

papermaker
08-19-2010, 11:09 PM
the excelon decks have better preamp sections and better DACs last time i checked..

DonH
08-21-2010, 01:35 AM
I had the 991... awesome HU had better SQ than the 994.... as far as expandability, its not up to par. the 994's ipod search function is beyond faster than many other decks in the price range. the EQ is amazing for the price. THE SQ is great ta-boot. The screen could be a little bigger but hey its ok. the blue tooth is great when streaming music from your phone or using during a call. whats no to like about the hu? not to mention time alignment.

luv2byte
08-22-2010, 11:11 PM
We just had this unit installed in our 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster - hate the glare of the screen but otherwise it looks good. My only issue is it will say it is downloading my address book from my Sprint Evo phone but when I look at address book it only has a few entries, some are blank while others have the name listed. It doesn't seem to be downloading it correctly. So far, of what I've had time to play with, it's working great. Any suggestions on the phonebook?