PDA

View Full Version : Got a question

DarkManX
01-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Okay...I have a 95 Grand Am and I just got the stock head unit replaced with a Kenwood KDC322. What I'd like to do now is take a look at first replacing my 6x9s in the rear and then my 4x6s in the front. I'd like to keep my setup as simple as possible, so I want to run all four off of my head unit.

So, first off...is it true that I should look at using the same brand for all four speakers, or is it all right if I use different pairs?

And also, anyone have any recommendations on speakers to check out....my budget for each pair is about $100 and my style of music ranges from rap to light rock. So I guess I'm looking for a good amount of bass and treble without resorting to a subwoofer or tweeters.

wags
01-20-2004, 02:37 AM
Okay...I have a 95 Grand Am and I just got the stock head unit replaced with a Kenwood KDC322. What I'd like to do now is take a look at first replacing my 6x9s in the rear and then my 4x6s in the front. I'd like to keep my setup as simple as possible, so I want to run all four off of my head unit.

So, first off...is it true that I should look at using the same brand for all four speakers, or is it all right if I use different pairs?

And also, anyone have any recommendations on speakers to check out....my budget for each pair is about $100 and my style of music ranges from rap to light rock. So I guess I'm looking for a good amount of bass and treble without resorting to a subwoofer or tweeters.

You wont get a good amount of bass and/or treble by running the speakers off the head unit. Why do you think a 100 watt amp is bigger than your cdplayer? lol. You won't notice a whole lot of difference if you got new speakers and ran them off the kenwood. Now if you had an amp, that'd be a different story. As far as sticking with the same brand, I think I would because it keeps the overall sound the same. Different brands seem to have a different sound than other brands (overall) So i've noticed - being my friend has all alpine speakrs and i have all CDT our cars sound alot different and we have very simliar vehicles. New speakers (depending on what you get) will probably sound a little better but it wouldn't be worth it unless you got an amp for them.

DarkManX
01-20-2004, 05:21 PM
You wont get a good amount of bass and/or treble by running the speakers off the head unit. Why do you think a 100 watt amp is bigger than your cdplayer? lol. You won't notice a whole lot of difference if you got new speakers and ran them off the kenwood. Now if you had an amp, that'd be a different story. As far as sticking with the same brand, I think I would because it keeps the overall sound the same. Different brands seem to have a different sound than other brands (overall) So i've noticed - being my friend has all alpine speakrs and i have all CDT our cars sound alot different and we have very simliar vehicles. New speakers (depending on what you get) will probably sound a little better but it wouldn't be worth it unless you got an amp for them.

Thanks. I know it's not gong to prove to be a lot of difference, but I'm mainly replacing them becuase my rear right puts out nothing but distorted sound, and my front left is going out. I might want to add an amp in the future, but a sub right now is out of the question.