PDA

View Full Version : Mb Quart vs Image Dynamics or other?

aquafire
08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey Guys,

Looking for input on Speakers for my new install. Need 6 speakers total...

Vehicle- 2007 Jeep Wrangler
Front Speakers- 6.5" Front, 1" Tweeter
Rear- 6.5" 3 way

Head Unit- Pioneer DEX-P99RS
Amp- Soundstream Reference 405 (old school)

BUDGET about $500-$600
Was thinking ID CXS 65..??

Input? Manufacturers and models please.

thanks!

papito
08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
MB Quart Premiums, $150 shipped from sonicelectronix. Great speakers. Idk if your on a budget, but if you are, these are the best bang for buck IMO.

aquafire
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply...added budget of about $500.00 to the post.

Tweeter is too big on the MB Quart premium...

papito
08-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow, nice budget. Look into some Alpine Type X for the front, they're very nice. Or Rainbows but they're more expensive but great speakers.

whitedragon551
08-15-2010, 06:20 PM
ID's over all others listed here hands down.

aquafire
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Really...ID's over MB Quart...hmmm. Thanks!

Whats a good 3 way ID for the rear top mount speakers?

whitedragon551
08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Really...ID's over MB Quart...hmmm. Thanks!

Whats a good 3 way ID for the rear top mount speakers?

Unless its old old German made MB Quart I wouldnt touch them.

krisfnbz
08-15-2010, 09:00 PM
MB Quart Premiums, $150 shipped from sonicelectronix. Great speakers. Idk if your on a budget, but if you are, these are the best bang for buck IMO.

Wow, nice budget. Look into some Alpine Type X for the front, they're very nice. Or Rainbows but they're more expensive but great speakers.

This guy doesnt know ****. You have literally one of the best head units out on the market right now and you are going to use these trash component sets? I would realllllllllllllly dive into either 1. A combination of really high end DIY drivers that have been tested inside and out, or 2. Just get a really high end nice component set.

Otherwise your headunit is way too much for what you want, and I would sell it, but a lower line(still great stuff) and but the lower end speakers.

DarkScorpion
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
This guy doesnt know ****. You have literally one of the best head units out on the market right now and you are going to use these trash component sets? I would realllllllllllllly dive into either 1. A combination of really high end DIY drivers that have been tested inside and out, or 2. Just get a really high end nice component set.

Otherwise your headunit is way too much for what you want, and I would sell it, but a lower line(still great stuff) and but the lower end speakers.

x2. Your headunit is one of the most flexible units on the market right now - for what reason exactly did you buy it? Do you know its capabilities? Or did you buy it just because it's expensive?

Wingman0121
08-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I just installed two pairs of MB Quart Discus series of 6x9 and 6 1/2 components ($150 total from eBay) and they sound really good.

GavinVoy
08-15-2010, 10:27 PM
does the budget include front and rear?

and why 3 way rear stage?

Horsemanwill
08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
ya i'm with alot of the guys here. why such a high end unit but planning on skimping on the rest of the system? i run the P01 the jap version of your hu. exactly what type of sound are you looking for? do you plan on running it high mid low front rear center sub. r u going active? passive? going with the amp that you are running now i'd go with the high mid low setup. and get the ID CXS62 version. that way you could run the mids at 2 ohms on a set of channels. run the tweets of another set and the subs off the sub set and ditch the rears all together. but if you must have the rear i still recommend the cxs62 for the front that way you can get more power from the amp for the front channels. it's just a waist for that HU and not running it active.

aquafire
08-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Guys thanks for the feedback. Yes I know what the headunit can and will do. I have been out of the game for about 10 years and am now unsure in some respects. If I need to spend more I will!

I'm honestly not sure what to run in the back of the Jeep for the down firing speakers in the soundbar...or if I even should run anything. Back in the day you ran 2 tweets, 2 mids, and subs. But the Jeep presents all kinds of issues...

Recommendations and insight welcome!

aquafire
08-16-2010, 07:23 AM
ya i'm with alot of the guys here. why such a high end unit but planning on skimping on the rest of the system? i run the P01 the jap version of your hu. exactly what type of sound are you looking for? do you plan on running it high mid low front rear center sub. r u going active? passive? going with the amp that you are running now i'd go with the high mid low setup. and get the ID CXS62 version. that way you could run the mids at 2 ohms on a set of channels. run the tweets of another set and the subs off the sub set and ditch the rears all together. but if you must have the rear i still recommend the cxs62 for the front that way you can get more power from the amp for the front channels. it's just a waist for that HU and not running it active.

Whats the difference between the CX62 and 65?
I was thinking the rears should be ditched...I'm fine with that!
Active for sure with the 99!

aquafire
08-16-2010, 07:23 AM

The CX62 look nice. Can the tweeter be run seperate as the wrangler has a dash mounty for them. Or should I mount them together for better imaging? I think I answered my own question :).
I was thinking the rears should be ditched...I'm fine with that!
Active for sure with the 99!

SQ is important to me and the ID's seem to come with alot of praise. I'm sure they will blow away the kicker components I had 12 years ago.

Horsemanwill
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
the differecne between the cxs64 and the 62 is the 62 is 2 ohms whlile the other is 4 ohms

DarkScorpion
08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
In your case, I would just go with an active front stage and forget about the rear speakers. With your budget, I would take a look at the Hybrid Audio (http://www.hybrid-audio.com/) Legatia series - definitely a step above the IDs, and many will agree with me (Scott Buwalda is actually having a sale right now on many of his drivers; Check it out here (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/86436-hybrid-audio-sales-rep-samples-sale-part-ii.html). The L6 and L1 drivers are what I would suggest in your case, or even the Clarus component set if you don't want to spend as much - still better than the IDs. ). You might also want to check out H-audio (http://www.haudioincus.com/index.php)'s Harmony lineup (I use the Ebony mids and I think they're fantastic); they're coming with a lot of new drivers (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/industry-news/84514-h-audio-announcement.html) that I would consider waiting for as well.

If you were set on the IDs, you could always pick up the mids themselves (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/87355-image-dynamics-cx64-v2-midbass-drivers-excellent-condition.html) and save a good chunk of money, then find a nice set of tweeters to go along with them since you plan on going active anyways.

Also be sure to check out DIYMobileaudio.com - there's a lot of people of people over there that run higher end equipment and a lot of reviews of said equipment.

hornedfrog1985
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, don't buy a comp set with that deck. You're kind of on the wrong forum for SQ, diy, active builds. Not to mention piecing together your own set would be a lot cheaper more than likely.

aquafire
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Very good advice guys. I emailed Scott and will see what he says.

More input!!! :)

Horsemanwill
08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
do you plan on custome install the speakers or are you planing on using just the factory locatons

aquafire
08-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm debating. I may build custom kick panels...

Scott recommended: I have Legatia L6’s, they are 7.1” diameter. Will these fit in your application? I also have Silver L1 Pro tweeters.

Thoughts?

Horsemanwill
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
those are great choices.

any of the lines ID, Hybrid, H-Audio, Audison as well as many others are fine choices. just make sure you compare the proper levels of equipment to each other. meaning if you go to hear the Legatia line then compare them to ID's XS line or Audison's Thesis line. Keep in mind that alot of the "higher end" lines will sound better if custom installed and not just dropped into factory locations.

DarkScorpion
08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
those are great choices.

any of the lines ID, Hybrid, H-Audio, Audison as well as many others are fine choices. just make sure you compare the proper levels of equipment to each other. meaning if you go to hear the Legatia line then compare them to ID's XS line or Audison's Thesis line. Keep in mind that alot of the "higher end" lines will sound better if custom installed and not just dropped into factory locations.

This is true for the most part. You can save yourself a lot of time and effort by making nice kickpanels vs trying to make them sound good in your doors.

aquafire
08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I think I may try the ID 62 2ohm drivers and NX30 tweeters and see how I like them. Without the crossovers they are about $270 for the set.

Horsemanwill
08-17-2010, 06:24 PM
make sure the set y ou get are the ones with the nx30. if i recall right they've been out of the 30s for a while and the new x28s have replaced them.

aquafire
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
It says NX30 on woofers etc...could they be 28?

Horsemanwill
08-17-2010, 06:40 PM
woofers may of had some old stock left.

aquafire
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Heres the write ups:

NX30-
The NX30 tweeters from Image Dynamics provide a level of performance that is not usually attained from small neodymium tweeters. Their incredible performance reproduces the most complex musical passages with stunning clarity, dynamics, and detail without harshness or listening fatigue. Their very smooth frequency response, both on and off axis, allows them to excel in many different mounting locations. This higher level of performance will be clearly evident to even the most critical listener. The performance of the NX30 is the product of superior materials and construction. Their very low fundamental resonance of 890 Hz results in very low harmonic distortion allowing you to hear more details in the music. The unique 30mm damped silk dome is free from resonances and break up modes that color the sound. The large neodymium motor structure and edge wound ribbon wire voice coil provide the power for wide bandwidth and incredible transient response. This oversized motor structure combined with low viscosity ferrofluid allows high thermal power handling that prevents power compression. The flush mount rotating cup allows you to direct the output for optimum performance. The NX30 is available separately or as a part of the Chameleon separates. Recommended crossover is 24 dB/octave at 1600-2400 Hz

XS 28-

The XS Series Components from Image Dynamics are the culmination of a engineering driven research and development project to produce sound performance that is without compromise. Powerful detailed and dynamic in their musical output they excel in the challenging automotive accoustic environment. XS Hybrid Components produce midrange with presence and detail without coloration, mid-bass with weight and impact, and highs with detail and clarity without fatiquing harshness. Available in 6.5", 5 x 7", and 6 x 9" models.

An innovative speaker system that allows multiple tweeter mounting options for the best in car performance and ease of installation.

Horsemanwill
08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
oh i'm very familair with the ID line. :D alot of ppl prefer the nx30 over the x28. but as far as i knew ID was out of the 30s for awhile. and like i said woofers may of had some old stock left over still.