PDA

View Full Version : Amping components?

Magnus
08-15-2010, 01:55 AM
I just ordered some 2 sets of RE Audio XXX6.5C components for my front stage. These are my first ever "quality" speakers. I have used some budget coaxials but nothing this serious. I am going to be getting a 4 channel that will give em 100 RMS each. I need to know how to properly amp these components. Do I set my HPF at 100 or do I just use the "all" option on my x-over?

subzero
08-15-2010, 01:59 AM
The lowest you should go on the hp filter is 80. but I recomemnd 100 or 125hz. The component crossovers will do the rest. I have tried it at 80 and the main issue with that is volume... I have to be carefull not to send too much bass to the speakers. That is why I stay around the 100-125 range. and dont use any bass boost. IMO

keep_hope_alive
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
^ your issue with going below 80Hz for your fronts may be related to your speaker quality and your crossover slope. You can't talk about crossover settings without discussing the slope.

The RE XXX "midwoofers" are built like tanks and should play cleanly down to 56Hz, which is where I would set my HPF and LPF points for SQ if you have enough of a slope. I run my 6.5's down to 56Hz with 24dB/oct and they are 2001 Oz -180's.

If you must use a bass boost on the head unit, you may need a higher slope, around 63Hz or maybe even 80Hz if the slope is only 12dB/oct. Problem is you start getting muddy midbass response from the sub. Sometimes you can combine a HU crossover and an amp crossover to increase slope.

List all of your equipment, take pics of the install, and we can suggest some crossover points to try once we know what you can actually do with your available settings. I recommend deadening and sealing of the door locations for those massive midwoofers, including some sturdy resin coated MDF mounting baffles.

krisfnbz
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
you probably dont want to go any lower than 80hz @12db, but you probably dont even have that kind of processing. I would set it at 100HPF so you dont screw anything up.

keep_hope_alive
08-16-2010, 01:01 AM
what are you guys afraid of - midbass?

the OP can play with the crossover settings and find what he/she likes the best. you can run them full range without issue, what if he didn't have a sub?

it all depends on your listening habits. if you enjoy faithful reproduction of music, the HPF can be as low as you want. if you only care about being loud and throw SQ out the window, then i agree with the others, 100Hz.

subzero
08-16-2010, 01:10 AM
your right... SQ beautifully flows out my windows...

Cabin_Pressure
08-16-2010, 01:37 AM
The OP's newest thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/486192-getting-out-car-audio-sale-everything-must-go.html

Magnus
08-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks for all the insightful replies fellas. Too bad this project is in the shitter for a while.