PDA

View Full Version : amping stock speakers

Cruzer
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
So i have a 2006 Mitsubishi raider, which is the same thing as a dodge dakota with body changes.

It came with a premium alpine system. When i first got the truck i had to figure out what to do for a sub stage, so i cranked the bass on the head unit and the speakers provided pretty solid mid bass.

Now i have subs and so i had to turn the bass down on the head unit, back to 0. Now i have no mid bass. I have an older kenwood kac-6202 amp sitting around not being used, so i was looking at amping the 2 front speakers.

However ive never done it before, and im not sure about a couple of things.
I dont know the ohm of the speakers, but my amp will do 60x2@4ohm and 100x2@2ohm. would that blow the speakers or should they be ok as long as i dont push too hard? i dont want to push them really hard, but i do want some mid bass, and with the amp i will be able to provide power like i did with the head unit, but not affect my subs.

Also im not sure what to do about the tweeters. Ill be installing an aftermarket head unit, that has rca outputs for the fronts and subs. the head unit also had high pass and low pass filters, as does the kenwood amp. but im not sure if i could, or should hook up the tweeters to the kenwood amp, or if possible make the head unit power the tweets.

let me know any info or suggestions

stanky1219
08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
i have amped ford jbl premium factory 6x9's and 5.25 components in my lincoln mark 7 with a old school sony mobile ES 40x4 when i was a teenager and it worked great. just make sure you tune the high pass a little higher than normal. they wont like much low end with the extra power.

Cruzer
08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
thanks, what should i set the high pass at then?
what should low pass be as well?'

do u know about the tweeters, how do i wire that to the amp or head unit? i dont have to power them with the amp, as long as they are playing im good

MONSONwarrior
08-08-2010, 02:13 PM
tweets will probably be integrated into the harness with the front speakers.

Louisiana_CRX
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I think the Mitsubishi version of that truck looks better than the Dodge....

Cruzer
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
tweets will probably be integrated into the harness with the front speakers.
thank you, i know tweets dont take much power, but hopefully between tweets and speakers it can handle the power from the amp fine.

I think the Mitsubishi version of that truck looks better than the Dodge....

Thanks, i agree obviously, but i hope to do the 2" leveling kit and put as big as tires as i can. should look pretty solid.