PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 50RMS speakers with 60RMS per channel amp?

sdballer
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Is 10 watts more going to ruin my speakers?
Speakers are Rockford Fosgate Primes, and 4 Channel AMP is JBL.

Thanks

(1st post :graduate:)

misfit138
08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
it'll be fine

Side Show
08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
dont go mad, with gain and bass boost or anything like that, should be fine (should)

sdballer
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
thanks for the replies, hopefully I won't regret it ;)

smgreen20
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
It'll help actually, a bit more headroom it will give you.

Louisiana_CRX
08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
lulz

Buck
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM

This

lulz

and this.

IMO it's better to have a little extra power to work with. Keep in mind that you can set your amp so it won't put out more power than you need. I have 200w per channel amp going to 60w speakers :)

stanky1219
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM

yoda on ca.com?

smgreen20
08-06-2010, 05:50 AM
yoda on ca.com?

Yoda this is , Yes.

That's sort of what I was going for, good catch young master.

eharri3
08-14-2010, 08:28 AM
10 watts is meaningless. It takes a doubling of power just to get a 3 db increase in loudness that is perceptible to the human ear. The amp may be rated at 60 watts on a continuous test tone played at maximum volume but in real life while playing music, power output is all over the charts as the music changes in pitch and volume. You probably very RARELY see a true 60 watts from that amp while playing music. You probably don't even see 50 that often.

krisfnbz
08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
it will be fine.

mrpink
08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Always have more (clean) power than the speaker is rated for. This will help with headroom, dynamics, damping etc.
No amount of CLEAN watts can blow a speaker. What blows a speaker is distortion (coming from the amp).

The amp will output distortion when the load of the speakers is too demanding.
Which is the case in most installs I've seen.

It is rare to find an amp that can supply clean and real wattage.

adio25
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Always have more (clean) power than the speaker is rated for. This will help with headroom, dynamics, damping etc.
No amount of CLEAN watts can blow a speaker. What blows a speaker is distortion (coming from the amp).

So 10kw of clean power on a type-r wont blow it?

I hate those amps with fake wattage.

Wildbillpb
08-30-2010, 10:04 PM

10k watts of CLEAN power would definetly kill a 500 watt speaker and amps put out distortion when you ask to much of them not just when the speaker load is too demanding, which I'm hoping you meant when you wire the ohms to low for what the amp is stable at.... If you hook up a 4 ohm 500 watt speaker to a 10k watt amp its gonna blow, and to get distortion from the amp you turn your bass boost up all the way as well as the gain sometimes not even that it depends on the amp, some are better than others. So to sum that up not just the load of the speakers which is running a speaker at 1 ohm and the amp can only go as low as 2 ohms. But even if you ran a 2 ohm stable amp at 4 ohms you are gonna get distortion from it if you don't set the gain properly and you run your system at full tilt with no tuning done to the amp.

bubbagumper6
08-30-2010, 10:20 PM
10k watts of CLEAN power would definetly kill a 500 watt speaker and amps put out distortion when you ask to much of them not just when the speaker load is too demanding, which I'm hoping you meant when you wire the ohms to low for what the amp is stable at.... If you hook up a 4 ohm 500 watt speaker to a 10k watt amp its gonna blow, and to get distortion from the amp you turn your bass boost up all the way as well as the gain sometimes not even that it depends on the amp, some are better than others. So to sum that up not just the load of the speakers which is running a speaker at 1 ohm and the amp can only go as low as 2 ohms. But even if you ran a 2 ohm stable amp at 4 ohms you are gonna get distortion from it if you don't set the gain properly and you run your system at full tilt with no tuning done to the amp.

dude...just close your mouth, you've spewed enough stupid for one day

stanky1219
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
for once i fully agree with bubbagumper. stfu! lol

Wildbillpb
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
explain to me what was wrong with what i said and dont just say all of it... break it down and let me know

smgreen20
08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I can see what mouth is saying, but he didn't convey it right.

10K watts at some point would cause harm to a 500w speaker, for the most part you can give a speaker 2x the power it's rated for and you'll be good, but at some point the power will start to push the speaker to it's mechanical limits, at 20x the power, gains set properly, and 0 distortion, the speaker will start to fail. Speakers have a rating for a reason, for the most part they're rated a bit low because the company doesn't want to have to warranty dumba$$'s who don't know what they're doing.

Distortion is the number one cause of speaker failure, you can give a speaker more power and it operate safely, but WITHIN REASON! 10k watts to a 500w speaker IS NOT within reason.

Wildbillpb
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Mouth my *** the dude said no amount of clean watts will blow your speakers to a guy asking about 10 watts blowing his speakers.... He could do three things 1) take it as sarcasm 2) think okay my amp won't blow them or 3) go get an amp with to much powa thinking it's okay, and blow his ****. Also I don't know if it was sarcasm or not but the guy under him asked about 10k watts to a type r (500 watts 12" 750 watts 15"). So it was a legitimate thing to say.

misfit138
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
poop

smgreen20
08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I ment no offense to you by saying mouth, calm down. :)

Team Maxxsonics
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
To get back on topic: yes, your 60 watt RMS amp will be just fine on your 50 watt RMS speakers.